What's the story behind an In Game Name?

Comments

• DanteAmayADanteAmayA ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019

I've used DanteAmaya for about 10 years through many gaming platforms.

Dante, not from the famous Italian or even a popular video game, but from a book series by Lilith Saintcrow. Dante is a necromancer, bounty hunter, who works for the Devil. She's one of my first literary idols.

Amaya... Some Facebook quiz told me it should be my name. But it lied. It does not mean "Night Rain" in Japanese. Some Google-**** indicates that it means "Night Rain" in Arabic. It's also similar to "Mother City" in Spanish origins or "the end," "the beginning of the end" in Basque. In Japanese it's written with symbols for "heavenly valley." It's just a lovely name.

The capitalization of the last A was a work I picked up solely for Ingress.

• Cr (Cristian), Wolf (mi animal favorito), 96 (mi año de nacimiento).

• oscarc1oscarc1 ✭✭✭✭✭

My name is Oscar, which was already taken.

My last name starts with C, oscarc was also taken.

So I added a 1; oscarc1

• My name is a spelling variant of 'Scythian,' an ancient nomadic group from Central Asia and Eastern Europe who were known for their adeptness in mounted warfare. Similar to how the Scythians would ride their horses across the steppe to smash villages, I drive across Northern California to smash blue portals 🐸🏹

• Mine was an old DJ name. I used it in everything and still do. Because cellphone games don't matter and life is real. Treat your family with respect, put the phone down.

• GlenuendoGlenuendo ✭✭✭✭

You made quite an impression with that name among the southern Utah Resistance. We all loved it.

• I am a State Emergency Service (SES) Volunteer that helps the community in times of storms , floods, land searches, police assistance etc so when I changed my IGN from CatandBear (Geocaching name) SESsmurfette was born :)

• EngrishEngrish ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2019

Nickname my platoon started calling me while deployed to Afghanistan in 2009, reference from South Park, City Wok episode. I stuck with it ever since. We watched a ton of South Park to pass the time.

• Mine came from the lands of Everquest many many moons ago, I hit the random name button and this is what I got. LOL

• Shalex83Shalex83 ✭✭
    edited August 2019

Shalex was the name of the ranger I created in a friends D&D campaign when I was younger. I have used it in online games ever since. Oh and I was born in 1983... lol

• Kevinsky86Kevinsky86 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019

I got inspired to use mine while listening to Kavinksy. I also use this outside of Ingress. It also pheneticly loosely sounds like my full name if you say it fast.

The 86 is obviously my year of birth.

I used to go by Abramech in Ingress but once I warmed up to the social aspects of the game and it's implications I stopped caring about hiding my identity in any way and changed to something you can quite easily connect to me. Also helpfull in social events.

• TheFarixTheFarix ✭✭✭✭✭

Back in the early 1990s, I was playing a MUD and was promoted to a "GOD" position, which was effectively an administrator. However, the server owner didn't want to promote my original character and instead wanted me to create a brand new character. In order to be original, I combined Felix and Ferret, however, I mispelled it and became Farix. Then, by the early 2000s, other people were adopting the name online, so I stuck "The" in front to become TheFarix.

• MaliciousWolf has been an alias I have used across numerous platforms for 15 or so years now.

I remember being a young (typical 11-12 year old) kid that wanted and intimidating sounding name to utilize online that had some combination of Wolf in it given wolves were one of my favorite animals at the time (and they still are today). I recall trying various combinations of a player name for a particular online service, but they were all taken, so I cracked open a dictionary (probably the first time I ever did in years), and stumbled across the word 'malicious' which to me sounded pretty intimidating and cool. After settling on it, I combined it with Wolf and became known as MaliciousWolf for the years to come.

Ironically enough, I am probably one of the nicest most easy going people you'd meet either online or in life, so people are always shocked and poke fun at my name after they have a chat with me. My name and personality do not match up at all... well unless you end up on my bad side that is I suppose...

• I like making lots of links without fields

• I was writing a story in middle school and wanted an elvish name for a character. A friend suggested an elvish name translator that was linked to on the profile page of the top gamer of a website we both played on. Several drafts later, "Rithivaland" was no longer an elf, but an alien. I never finished writing the book, but I like to use the name regardless. Especially since my old go-to un has coding in it and is sometimes blocked these days.

• MoogModularMoogModular ✭✭✭✭✭

I changed my name again when I was last posted in here.

My current agent name:

1:36

(it's also an amazing company)

• ToxoplasmollyToxoplasmolly ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2021

I wanted to name my first cat, Toxoplasmosis. My partner rejected that. (Weird, right? 😅) So, the cat kept the name the shelter gave her, Molly.

Later, when I needed to pick a name for Ingress, I still had all that on my mind, so… Toxoplasmosis + Molly = Toxoplasmolly.

Much later, another agent interpreted my in-game name as "party pooper". 😂

• MirthmakerMirthmaker ✭✭✭✭

Mirthmaker, I thought this game would be about bringing smiles, tomfoolery, and garb choices.

If I knew what this game was really about when I started, Mischiefmaker is far more appropriate, but I used that in a draft of a novel that I started pre ingress.

Still looking for a non blatant costumey fool's cap (folly bells and liripipe are a bonus).

• kiloecholimakiloecholima ✭✭✭✭✭

My nickname growing up was Kel. Since I knew this game was a battle over territory, I spelled out my agent name in military alphabet. I decided capitalizing any of the letters looked goofy and unserious so I kept it all lower caps.

• K4CharelK4Charel ✭✭✭

Well... I am French, and I write code, and I am pretty good at it. Had a blog for a while "the plight of a coding frog".

It's only after I reached L6 I learnt the ENL players are called Frog (I am RES🤦) . Most must have believed I was trolling them, or a fake account, Or even that I should flip faction to match the IGN 😂😂😂

Always wondered if I should change it...