How far can your drone go, reliably?

K4CharelK4Charel ✭✭✭

I am a bit confused as how far the drone can jump... I use iitc to plan my route, and measure distance between portals. Yesterday I did a jump of 607 meters as measured by iitc. This morning I couldn't see a portal 584 meters away.

So, how far can you jump? It's pretty important to be able to plan a route no?

Tagged:

Comments

• HydracyanHydracyan ✭✭✭✭✭

I did 1,2km once.

• ZeroHecksGivenZeroHecksGiven ✭✭✭✭✭

It's related to distance and S2 cells, as posted. So it will be at least 500m, but could be as far as a little past 600m like you experienced.

Any level 16 cell within 500m of the portal your drone is at, can be reliably flown to. So what I did in iitc was make a 500m circle with drawtools, set it on my current portal and know that any L16 S2 cell with a portal can be flown to, on and on...

• grsmhikergrsmhiker ✭✭✭

I have been able to jump to a portal 640m away, but not one 655m away. So based on that, I believe the distance might be 650m.

• RostwoldRostwold ✭✭✭✭✭

You can go further if you own a key to the destination portal.

• TeamWarezTeamWarez ✭✭
    edited June 2020

I don’t like some players getting unfair advantage so here goes:

1. Put the key of portal you want to fly to in locker.
    2. Go to locker, scroll to key and wait to load.
    3. Go to Dronenet.
    4. ???
    5. Profit!

I verified that you can fly 1.57 km this way but got “Out of range” error when trying 1.98 km.

• kittysukittysu ✭✭✭

Nope. As 2 of us have said - the distance is not reliable because it depends on a region of rectangles.

It is 500m guaranteed - and if you get extra distance because of the L16 S2 cells needed to cover the 500m circle, you will get further. How much further will vary both depending on where in its own S2 cell the start portal is, and also your latitude as the S2 cells change shape and size. @ZeroHecksGiven gave a good description of it.

• ViolaRoseViolaRose ✭✭✭

There is a max. I was able to get ~1.3km to ~1.35km this morning. But this afternoon I got a “too far” error at 1.47km.

There are a few things at play. Max draw distance in drone view. Max scanner draw distance. And max drone flight. I’ve observed that the drone view doesn’t like to draw past 600m on its own. But if you bring up a key to a destination portal you can go further. But exceeding 1km you have to be VERY precise with the camera. At 1.47km the portal was barely visible - basically in the black gradient top left of the notch.

I suspect max flight is 1.4km flat. Or anywhere between 1.35 and 1.4km. I’d LOVE to get Nia confirmation.

id like the mark 2 drone to be able to go further. But I don’t see how... the max draw distance on the scanner seems to be about 1.4km maybe 1.5km.

Portal levels may play a role- I’m going to have to experiment more. Direction may also play a role. I’ve noticed certain camera directions draw more reliably than others.

• HydracyanHydracyan ✭✭✭✭✭

The distance is probably based on sCells pattern, like a circle made sCells as pixels. This can cause things like a flight up to 1,4km north, but just 1,2 west.

• JeroenixJeroenix ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020

Is the drone stat 'furthest flight' accumulative?

• grsmhikergrsmhiker ✭✭✭

It's not. For example, if I do a 4km flight, then recall the drone and then deploy again along the exact same route of portal hops, the stat stays at 4 instead of increasing to 8.

• kittysukittysu ✭✭✭

Since the standard distance is based on this method, I think you are likely to be right. My initial guess - 1km circle and L16 cells - but I am not very good at spotting the extra portal and have not had time to properly play with this.

• ViolaRoseViolaRose ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020

You can see farther than 1km. I think when you start going past 1.10km or past 1.20km you start having issues with visibility. When I tested 1.47km it was virtually invisible except at the perfect spot. This was east start point transferring to south west a few degrees. Most of my throws have been that. except for two that were south throws at 1.1km and like 800-900m.

what’s interesting about it is that I wanted to go backwards; I was trying to transfer from a cluster of 5 portals to a single remote portal, and of course I could. But going back to a portal on the cluster that was about 10m farther; about 1.3ish km, it was too far. So I suspect that you can’t throw to something that isn’t fully rendered - but you know it’s there and can tap on it... but you can’t really see it on the scanner.

I really hope they implement some sort of fly by link portal to portal drone. Like a artifact or shard. But it still can’t be used to farm keys... I think that would be cool.

• XyinklXyinkl ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020

According to agent @NanoApe 's calculation. you can fly upto 169km around Tokyo.

• I get lost in these steps. Bringing up a remote view of a key I own - yep - but how do I get to the drone from inside the key? I can’t seem to make that happen. 🤷‍♀️😢

• RostwoldRostwold ✭✭✭✭✭

You don't "get to the drone from inside the key", just click on drone net as usual.

• n0utn0ut ✭✭
    edited September 2020

Something was changed. Sunday i was able to jump 1.429km today 1.416 km i got [Out of range]

Looks like if you draw 1km circle around portal and this circle touch S2L14, you can jump to portal in this cell.

Post edited by n0ut on
  • I've never been able to jump more than 1.25 km from portal to portal, or from current location to portal if the drone is currently recalled. On Sunday, when you were able to jump 1.429 km, where did you jump from / to?

It's possible something changed, then changed back. But I feel it is unlikely.

• You'v got right is not 1.429 but 1,229 my mistake.

• So:

1. Open key, click to remote portal view. Yep, there is a portal there, and I can see the drone portal from the target portal.

2. Then X, X, X, main menu, dronenet.... and target portal still not visible. It's about 725m away.

What am I missing?

edited August 2021

It isn't a reliable "trick." So it could take 2-3 tries, maybe more. What works for me is to go into remote view with the key, then zoom in and out a few times, spin the view around a few times, zoom in and out and then quickly get back to drone view. The other issue right now is that the view is jacked by the overlay bug right now, so I'm not even sure if the trick works at all currently.

edit: Okay, had a few keys and was able to test it. It still works, even with the overlay bug, but it's considerably more annoying and super hard to see the "keyed" portals you're trying to jump to.

• Figured out the problem... if you are in the area of the destination portal such that you can see it in your scanner the trick doesn't work. So you can't hack a key then immediately jump. You have to physically leave the area, then jump.

• kittysukittysu ✭✭✭
    edited August 2021

I find just looking at the key in carousel of key locker/capsule most reliable. Make sure you give the portal info time to load up - you need to be able to tell faction ownership/neutral and reso status - if these haven't had time to load it won't work. It is unusual for this not to work for me as long as I don't rush it.

As @ZeroHecksGiven said, the display bug is making this so much harder. My drone is in Scotland, and sometimes I am struggling to see portals 500-600m away because of the shaded edge and extra graphics. My partner has successfully jumped almost 1km with the key trick. But there's a jump of 1.22km we can usually do (although it took a while to find the right alignment at right speed of zooming in/out for the portal to be visible) and neither of us can spot the portal at the moment.

• Wait... So you're telling me that the recall also counts towards that stat/metric?

• kittysukittysu ✭✭✭
    edited August 2021

Recall does NOT count towards the drone journey distance. A journey starts when you send it away from yourself, and ends when it is either force recalled or recalled by you. But the only things that count towards the distance are the portals it lands on during that journey.

You could consider the journey distance as being the radius of the smallest circle, centred on the first portal of the drone's journey, that can contain all the portals it has visited in that journey. Since the journey is always given in whole km, you then need to round down/floor the circle radius to get the journey distance.

• now I'm confused. The only Drone metric in game, regarding distance, is Furthest Distance Travelled (right?).

I assumed that's what everyone here is talking about. Myself, I have a set record of 2km (probably rounded up from 1,5+ km). Can't really remember when, but I recall it working the same way as the Loading-Key-In-Locker/Capsule method.

Nothing to be confused about. It’s the distance from portal A to furthest portal away. I’d say A to B, but if you go 5km away and come back towards portal A, say 2km. Your drone distance will show as 5km, not 7km, not 3km.

• AeternusLykosAeternusLykos ✭✭
    edited August 2021

Yes, that I understood. The "furthest distance travelled" metric relates to the single, longest portal-to-portal distance you have travelled with your Drone.

But you're mentioning Drone Journey Distance (@kittysu was mentioning too a couple comments above [EDIT]), and there isn't a visible metric for that... is there?

Post edited by AeternusLykos on