Hexathalon fell flat
I attended the Hexathalon in Tijuana. Fortunately, this event was close to where I live, so I was able to easily attend this event. Here are my thoughts on the 90 min event and some of the obstacles that I had.
1. I played the event, much like a Ingress First Saturday. I was just looking for AP, and ended up getting elite, accidentally. This was a problem for me, since the badge was not as attractive as the standard badge. I should have researched this ahead of time.
Solution: I would prefer a tiered badge for this event. Something like "wings" to indicate an elite award could be added to the badge.
2. I had trouble keeping track of the score board. I didn't check until near the end of the event and had only 10 min to finish my glyph points. I know of at least one agent who didn't get the badge, because their criteria was not met and they couldn't find the score board during the event.
Solution: It would be nice if this would be tracked in our current stats or have a more intuitive link in the App or events tab.
3. For IFS, we get double AP. It seems logical that we could receive double AP for an event that we (might) need to travel further for.
Solution: Award double AP
4. It would have been convenient to have Mission Day on the same day as the Hexathalon, since the Hexathalon is only 90 minutes. There was plenty of time to do Missions for Mission Day on the day of the Hexathalon. I probably would have done them during the Hexathalon, since the Hexathalon wasn't very challenging.
Solution: Have Mission Day on the same day as the Hexathalon
5. I did purchase the character codes separately, so I could hack for media. However, I didn't purchase the last one, until after the Hexathalon badge pushed, so I don't like the lineup in my scanner. I didn't know the Hexathalon badge would be pushed that quickly.
Solution: warn people! Next time, I will complete my full purchase, before the end of the event.
5. It was nice to see friends, but because of no formal organizing committee, I didn't get a chance to talk with everyone that I wanted to talk to, because some people didn't attend the after-party events.
Solution: Niantic could organize better with locals, such as distributing a local Telegram chat with the event details.
6. Finally, I don't see any reason to hold a Hexathalon. It really is IFS with glorified stats. To be successful, I believe an event that is in-between a IFS and Anomalies need to be better defined and in a different category. For instance, maybe it could be a scavenger hunt, similar to clear field, so we could create mini-teams. Clear Field was an awesome event. I would have done more of them, if it had been a tiered event badge. Not only were they fun and dynamic, but they provided great media exposure for GORUCK and Niantic, because it was part of the score. Hexathalon could have some simple decoding from media hacks, posting pictures by the portal or create a link/field/starburst from a highlighted portal. A scavenger hunt could bring people to work together towards a common goal, which I feel makes Ingress unique, because of the team aspect of play.
Solution: Style the event after a scavenger hunt.
As it stands, the only reason I might attend the next Hexathalon, is to do the Mission Day, see some friends, and get a gold badge. Aim low, my friends!