This is why Niantic should cancel all public events

Found this little nugget on Reddit about the COVID-19 virus.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nyc/comments/fayko1/my_covid19_story_brooklyn/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

Sorry @NianticBrian but I just tagged the fist Niantic name that jumoed out at me.

Comments

• HydracyanHydracyan ✭✭✭✭✭

So you found out that a single guy may or may not have flu? And that is enought to terminate worldwide events?

Niantic did good terminating the high risk areas, but the rest, even it cost nothing to Niantic, just don't make any sense.

• These are outdoor events they have less risk than the indoor conferences that have been cancelled.

Wash your hands.

• I really hope that events aren't cancelled for both games.

• Events do not need to be cancelled. This epidemic is well promoted in the media, but may be getting blown out of proportion. We have many diseases that are contagious but do not worry about. If an area has resorted to some kind of prevention as we see in the news, then I can understand cancelling or postponing an event. But there are areas that have no signs of infections. This is a good argument of why we need pocs who know what is going on in their communities.

• EvilSuperHerosEvilSuperHeros ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the more worrisome issue is that they refused to test him for the virus. If we aren't testing for it, how can we know for sure people don't have it?

• MoogModularMoogModular ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020

I'm more worried that it's a possibility the story can be fabricated. I say this as someone on Reddit off and on for the past 10 days. A lot of popular subreddits are known for stories that can't really be verified and can be written off as great writing prompts.

This person hasn't verified himself in any possible matter. I understand maintaining privacy but a picture could have been produced to match what they already stated.

If he mentioned his history, the doctors would have sided with getting a test done. There's some information not here that will make someone think CDC isn't doing their job much less the doctors following their protocols. I hate to be a cynic but nothing verifies this person and the way they didn't talk to newsreporters that responded to the request - what? You can still remotely do a press conference with media. That's the protocol that WHO also is stating.

It's just the story is giving me bad vibes.

EDIT: I read the story originally before EDIT 3 but I can see there's much more verifiability to it. I stand back on the comments above but I'm leaving them up for reference.

• MorganzaMorganza ✭✭✭✭✭

There was a case in California where the doctors requested a test and the CDC said "no, we are saving our limited test kits for cases with known risk factors."

• MorganzaMorganza ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's what I posted in my local First Saturday chat:

A reminder, folks: Asian bows, elbow bumps, hand over heart, and even the "Live Long and Prosper" hand signal are all perfectly acceptable ways to greet someone politely without touching them. And please be prepared to show your stats to checkin staff without asking them to touch your phone. (Yours for a more wary First Saturday...)