What if Link Amps increased resonator decay rates?

I've seen a few posts complaining about BAFs living too long, rural players feeling like it takes forever without an enemy player to neutralize fields, and I had the idea that maybe link amps should increase resonator decay rates. Good idea? Maybe.

BENEFITS

*Rural players, and local players who now complain about not having much to do due to limited portals, and little opposition could increase the decay rate of their own portals to speed AP gain and progression on capture, deploy, and mod-related badges. (Some will say this is an easy way out)

*Players who complain about constantly being under BAFs will likely get a little relief from their BAF woes, as those made with link amps would decay faster, and those without link amps would be more local in scope. (Some will say whiners are never happy.)

*players who deploy low level resos and junk mods will see their work fade away faster, leading to less complaints from more exacting players.

DRAWBACK:

*Cross faction saboteurs might use it to damage farms. (Depending on how you view strategy, this might be a benefit.)

*BAF teams would have to work harder to maintain their biggest fields. (Considering the coordination required to create a BAF, added teamwork to maintain it shouldn't be so hard, especially since most die from attacks rather than decay anyhow.)

Seems like the benefits might outweigh the drawbacks, but maybe my play style isn't right to judge this idea.

Tagged:

Comments

• HydracyanHydracyan ✭✭✭✭✭

What about a new mod for this function?

But actually it made sense if the link amp start drawing more xm in order to sustain itself. Maybe this can work only if the portal has a long link?

• beardedtitbeardedtit ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020

You'd need the decay rate to increase with time, so it becomes progressively harder to keep the fields up.

But I think the decay interval would also need to reduce.

A decay rate of 80% every 3 hours might be enough to drop fields, but don't count on it.

Actually, making the amount of XM required to recharge be dependant on the number of MU in the fields hanging off a portal might be a better alternative.

• KhatreKhatre ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020

Linkamp and sbul as increasing decay !

• Connecting decay rate to size of fields, link length, or number of links might miss some of the point. While such stipulations make sense in terms of game, and probably lore, they only address the annoying aspect of other players: limiting the time we would have to deal with a BAF, blocker, or starburst in our playing field.

There are also those who have been calling for faster decay rates in general... often these folks identify as rural players.

Some players without local competition have to rely in portal decay before they can achieve additional captures, mods, deploys, etc. Some claim to always be under a field, so linking may not be possible.

Giving them something that always increases the decay rate might be preferable.

• edited January 2020

What if Link Amps increased resonator decay rates?

New own-team troll Move: Link amp portals doesn't just steal a mod slot, it also makes it harder to maintain.

I think the idea is horrible simply because it makes people spend more time recharging, which is already a boring burden.