IFTTT/Smart Home integration???

KonnTowerKonnTower ✭✭✭✭✭

Has anyone on the Niantic team considered creating integrations with smart home technologies? I thought it would be neat to be able to create something like an IFTTT setup where lights would change different colors when portals you select switch between ENL/RES/Neutral control. In theory, you could also make things trigger off of either portal attacks, resonator strength, etc.... You could also make it so if a particular GPS location is under a field, colors switch based on that too.

To be fair, I'm sure there are -many- gameplay issues which could be worked on first, but I wanted to throw the idea out there. I guess in theory, I could already do some things with E-mail alerts that are sent.

Comments

• ArkFangArkFang ✭✭✭✭✭

That has actually been done, in a sense! But I do agree that the smart-home integration could be cool.

In Linz, one of their local portals (a museum I believe) which was a building was linked to the game to reflect the portal’s state. See https://youtu.be/AtLw0hP8toM

According to reports, when the November Lima-1331 vehicles (NL-1331 events) were still occurring, the portal resembling the vehicle changed colors depending on its state in Real-time.

• KonnTowerKonnTower ✭✭✭✭✭

Very awesome @ArkFang ! Thanks for sharing! Exactly the sort of thing I would enjoy seeing more of.

• NelkonNelkon ✭✭✭

There are third party implementations for this.

Developer soend published way back in 2017 this way to connect the IITC-power intel with the universal power of IFTTT automation: https://github.com/soend/IntelToIFTTT/blob/master/README.md

I've used his script to configure my Yeelight smart bulb this way:

Almost 2,5 years later there surely are much more sophisticated ways to integrate your devices (e.g. the IFTTT bot for Telegram). But I don't know about them because I started to prefer getting less notifications than more. Especially with the Prime scanner there is no point of getting an external alarm. If you monitor a certain portal it's usually taken down twice until this sloth app is booted and ready for defensive actions.

But for an art installation it's a cool way to integrate the AR world with the real world.