Ideas for nominations and Wayfarer

Hello. I like the wayfarer system for reviewing nominations, but I think the whole submission system itself could really improve.

Instead of giving pokemon go/ingress players an automatic amount nominations every 14 days, make them have to earn submissions by reviewing other nominations (IE get rid of upgrades and make it give you 1 nomination for every 50 or 100 agreements). This would help to slow down the flood of submissions and better clear out the queue by creating incentive to participate on the wayfarer system.

I believe it could overall increase the quality of nominations because they would need to work for them, and in the process, (hopefully) learn what actually might make it into the poi database

Comments

• TheFarixTheFarix ✭✭✭✭✭

That won't work at all. Ingress L10 agents can submit, but cannot review until they reach L12.

• TheS8NistTheS8Nist ✭✭
    edited December 2019

With a few tweaks it could.

Or maybe only apply the change to Pokemon go players. Level 40 is easy to get. And many Pokemon go players have multiple accounts. There's one in my area alone that has at least 4 level 40 accounts to himself.

Post edited by TheS8Nist on
  • GendgiGendgi ✭✭✭

I think it's a start. I learned so much when I got to level 12 about how to make nominations. As soon as Wayfarer launched, I withdrew several nominations and redid about half of them to better utilize the substantiation text & supporting photo.

Some of the PoGO nominations I see make it clear they don't understand how the reviews work. "This is a Starbucks that didn't get added," "This already is a Stop, I'm asking to make it a Gym." Some of those nominations would go away.

Maybe only make upgrades available for level 12 players so they still have incentive, but require x number of agreements to nominate. Or, heck, just have it all available at 10.

• This is why we earn upgrades, to incentivize reviewing. Let me get nerdy on you.

Mathematically, your plan would never work long term. If you froze incoming nominations, and required 50, 100, or however many agreements to earn a nomination, the nominations coming in would be less than the nominations earned and used (not everyone nominates as much as they review). This would be exacerbated if the required number of votes for agreements was lower than your number to earn nominations.

Over time, you would run out of things to review, therefore becoming unable to earn nominations, thus unable to help people have things to review, and they would also stop earning nominations, and Wayfarer would be dead.

• ZaltysZaltys ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019

Valid nominations frequently get rejected. Forcing players to wade through enough nominations to get 100 approvals, so they can submit a perfectly valid playground... only to have it rejected as a generic business? Seems like a bad idea to me.

Not to mention that 100 approvals is a tough task for players who live in regions with low player- and wayspot-density, and run out of queue after half-dozen reviews.

• GendgiGendgi ✭✭✭

Okay, I agree it's steep and unrealistic long term, and I understand completely that my incentive to review is upgrades, not nominations. But I've never understood the nominate at 10, review at 12 - that leads to a lot of confusion in the nomination process. A lot of involved folks in here have commented on the lack of instruction - I can randomly tap my way into making any sort of nomination in PoGO or Ingress without knowing what makes a good candidate.

And, back to upgrades. I'm very happy for areas that have gained a lot of new Portals. For me, since PoGO nominations went live, my nominations have come to a standstill. I made a nomination 2 weeks ago and upgraded it within a day or two - it's still in queue. At that time, I knew upgrades were slowing down. Most of my upgrades I've assigned in the last week or so have been for older nominations that have already been in voting for months. I'm now at 12 active upgrades. I've taken a few days from reviewing, because for me the incentive is gone. I'm reviewing to bring in (or decline) nominations for people who are not reviewing and voting on mine. While not everyone necessarily should have to (or would even be good at) reviewing, the disparity in my region is too great. I'm only a few hundred from Onix recon. I'll probably review sporadically after hitting that, but the upgrade value (heck, getting anything at all) seems gone without more people helping review.

• GendgiGendgi ✭✭✭

Any time I've tried contacting any sort of Niantic Support, the response is that how quickly nominations are reviewed depends on backlog & number of reviewers. I get this, and understand that it is appropriate. But it can't be acceptable for it to become the norm.

And for me, it's definitely region based. I live near another region. If I go over there and submit, it'll be approved in a matter of days without an upgrade.

• HydracyanHydracyan ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2019

Make it 4 free submission every month, more if you pay and the wayfarer being paid to full access, with just 100 free reviewers in a month. Niantic will start dropping their lemons.