Ridiculous rejection reasons should be appealable, and punished

I've just had this University teaching building (clearly stated in the description and supporting info) rejected as:

"private residential property or farm, Nomination does not meet acceptance criteria, Photo is low quality (e.g., pitch black/blurry photos or photos taken from a car)."

It's obvious that none of those rejection reasons are true, but I'm not going to appeal it here, instead I'm going to use this as an example of a design fault in Wayfarer.

The people who wrongly rejected this have been awarded an agreement, and people who reviewed it properly did not get an agreement, the good reviewers move towards red and the bad ones towards green. In the past, the good reviewers outnumbered the bad ones, but now, quite often they don't. This is a huge problem because there's a disincentive to reviewing properly, but no disincentive to reviewing badly. Over time, the button mashers will drive out the sensible reviewers.

If Niantic continues to let people get away with bashing the wrong buttons at random with no consequences, then there's no reason to spend time reviewing properly! Wayfarer needs an effective disincentive to stop button-mashing rejections, or they will become the norm.

Comments

• RostwoldRostwold ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2019

Update... I've just resubmitted it in the hope that I'll get more sensible reviewers this time.

• Just basing on that photo only, and knowing nothing else about the submission I would reject it and give the reason does not meet criteria. Sorry.

• The does not meet criteria means at least some reviewers took the time to write out a reason why they thought it shouldn't be accepted. Also, the 2 rejects I got where photo was cited as a potential reason, I did use a different one for the re-submit.

• RostwoldRostwold ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2019

If you're reviewing by just looking at the photo and guessing, then you're part of the problem.

Do you think that photo is "blurry, pitch black or is taken from a car."?

• sophielabsophielab ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019

The photo is not bad quality where it would warrant a reject in my opinion but usually I just try to appease the picky people.

Post edited by sophielab on
  • RostwoldRostwold ✭✭✭✭

I think that's another example of the problem then, we shouldn't have to appease picky people, but we have to because at the moment there's no punishment for clicking the 'blurry, pitch black or is taken from a car' button when you shouldn't.

• sophielabsophielab ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019

I too got back 2 rejections with bizarre reasons. It was about the time where the pogo players would have gotten their first rejections so I can only speculate that it was rage 1 starring before quitting because any of the next rejects were back to reasonable. My area generally gives normal reasons. I did not find it worth it to re-submit them. You will need to determine if you're going to re-submit and how much effort you will put into.

I do believe wayfarer is currently not much better than random button mashing. I stopped reviewing over a week ago. I'm not putting effort into reviewing if others clearly don't. It may change after people get their agreements to push their pet poi's by any speed reviewing.

Post edited by sophielab on
  • sophielabsophielab ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019

• expediterexpediter ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019

You didn't give any details in your post. I'm only giving my opinion based on the details in your post.

All the info we have is it's a University teaching building and a photo. Based on that info alone..it will be a 1 star rejection from me. Sorry

• RostwoldRostwold ✭✭✭✭

Literally the very first item in Wayfarer's list of Eligible Wayspots:

High-quality Wayspots are those that help players discover and enjoy their communities. Whether you’re nominating a Wayspot or reviewing a nomination, it’s important to know whether a given object or real-world location is suitable for acceptance. To be considered an eligible Wayspot, a nomination must fall into at least one of these categories:

Locations with a cool story, a place in history, or educational value (emphasis added)

Are you seriously telling me you've read the words "educational value", and come to the conclusion that a University teaching building isn't eligible?

• Based on the photo, i would have given it a 2 star at most.

Did you put in other supporting description other than its a "university teaching building"? IMHO, if you're using uni teaching building as an educational value, then all uni building would be a portal which again for me, doesn't hold up the argument of being of educational value.

If there was a unique story behind that building which gives some sort of historical and could educate visitors, then i would say its a good portal candidate ie : the building was used as a makeshift shelter during the civil war or it was build on previously a historical site.

• RostwoldRostwold ✭✭✭✭

University teaching buildings = educational value

University administration or student dorm buildings = no educational value

• TheismanTheisman ✭✭✭✭✭

A univeristy teaching building in itself has no educational value unless there is a plaque or info board on it, its the teachers inside the building that do the education.

On its own, the building as it stands is a marginal candidate I wouldnt give it more than 3*

• I thought I had been a harsh reviewer but I was giving classroom buildings 5 and mixed use with some classroom and other functions 4 as long as the name on the building was clear and google verified it's a classroom building. It's the othe buildings I would reject without explanation. I actually was googling pretty everything because college students tended to be lazy and just rewrite the name of the building in the description.

• RostwoldRostwold ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2019

That's ridiculous. By that logic churches are ineligible because it's the priests that teach religion, and libraries are only eligible if you submit the books, not the building the books are in!

• TheismanTheisman ✭✭✭✭✭

Churches the entire building is a place of worship for anyone at anytime, not just the building or the priest.

Libraries are a repository of books, for people to access as and when they want to use the other services there

A lecture hall , or what ever that building is, is just a building, on its own as just a building it doesnt have educational value.

• RostwoldRostwold ✭✭✭✭

It's not "just a building" it's part of a University! Universities have educational value!

You're saying "Churches the entire building is a place of worship for anyone at anytime, not just the building or the priest." but you don't accept that for Universities the entire building is a place of learning, not just the building or the lecturer? You're saying that "Libraries are a repository of books, for people to access as and when they want to use the other services there" but not that Universities are a repository of learning, for people to access as and when they want to use the other services there? Absurd!

• TheismanTheisman ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2019

Either you're misunderstanding me or I am not making myself clear.

A player goes to a church, its place of worship they can experience that when they go there

A player goes to a library, they can see the books etc, experience the services on offer.

A player goes to a university building like the one in your pictures and .... its just a building. It offers no educational value to the player as its just a building to them. The buidling itself is not important to the player, its not architecturally interesting, its not historic.

A university building on its own is just a building, there is nothing educational about the building itself.

• RostwoldRostwold ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2019

A player goes to a university, its place of learning they can experience that when they go there.

By your twisted logic, a library on it's own is just a building, there is nothing educational about the building itself.

• TheismanTheisman ✭✭✭✭✭

Going to a random university building is not the same, they arent going to be able to go in and expericence the lectures, all they are going to see is a building.

Museums, libraries, churches, historic homes, all educational in their own way and something a player can appreciate when they go there. A lecture building doesnt offer the player any of that, its just a building.

• Oh I saw this nomination again! I actually gave it a low rating because on the big square sign there's a part that says "Private property" and that definitely threw everything off the balance.

The building really isn't significant. If it was named after someone like a chancellor or an educational pioneer, AND also had a plaque, I'd be keen to accept it. It doesn't really have any interesting architecture and it just sticks out like a plain 'ol regular building called "The Garage".

• RostwoldRostwold ✭✭✭✭

From the Wayfarer help:

"Help > What makes a good Wayspot?

• High-quality nominations are those that help users discover and enjoy their community, such as:A location with a cool story, a place in history or educational value.
    • Interesting story behind the location/object
    • Signboards with educational information
    • Historical significance (apart from just being old)
    • A cool piece of art or unique architecture
    • Statues, paintings, mosaics, light installations, etc.
    • Venues that showcase fine art (e.g., performance art theaters and museums)"

(boldness added)

If you gave this venue that showcases fine art a low rating because you incorrectly think the architecture matters, or because you don't understand the rules on pedestrian access, which clearly state that private property is acceptable, then you're not following the rules.

This time, the reviewers that follow the rules won, and you didn't get an agreement, the portal went live yesterday.