Custom Avatars Coming Soon

We are excited to announce a new series of purchasable avatars for player customization targeted for the 2.39 update. The first three avatars will be familiar to veteran Ingress players. They include the original Ingress green and blue indicator as well as the toast avatar that was unveiled during April Fool’s this past year. Additional designs will be coming after the new year. 

To update your avatar when the feature is enabled, visit your agent profile. Tap on the Icon or Avatar symbol in the profile header to enter the customization screen, where new designs can be purchased.

Tagged:

Comments

• Any indication on price?

• Love the avatars, can't wait to see new ones in January!

It'd be great to have a new digital badge available for purchase regularly, or even occasionally.

However, making L8 equipment available for purchase, even just this once (nevermind occasionally or regularly) or as a part of a bundle is a TERRIBLE idea, and once again, goes back on the promise made by John Hanke.

I definitely won't be buying the digital package, and won't be forwarding this announcement to advertise it's inclusion in the store in my community, the way I normally would with the introduction of a new Ingress product or event I was excited about.

Speaking of which, I'm also excited about the next Ingress cruise having been scheduled, and seeing if Niantic will choose to add value to the event during its second iteration.

• KarM3LKarM3L ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2019

Ah nice, reselling old badges,

I miss the badge trading, but also don't see why they need to include the gear :(

• This is neat! I'd be willing to buy an avatar as a JARVIS virus or an ADA refactor. Also I've been seeing people ask about the Pac-Man avatar but I know that one might be more difficult.

• oscarc1oscarc1 ✭✭✭✭✭

But paying for something that was part of Redacted is acceptable?

Or everybody being willing to pay for a Redacted skin would be considered aesthetics and not a feature, therefore no payment would be required?

• Give me the Pac-Man avatar from the 2015 April Fool and you'll have my money as long as the price isn't completely insane.

• HydracyanHydracyan ✭✭✭✭✭

Poor @RedSoloCup, nobody attack your portals or talk to you...

At least when subscription is enable you will not struggle with the full inventory anymore. Maybe that's the problem, you should deploy more! I bet half your items are resonators. That way you will get more notifications.

🤪

• If we buy more than one avatar will we be able to switch between them?

• Have you considered that these issues you mentioned may already be added to the to-do list? None of those have a large gameplay impact, so they are likely not prioritised ahead of other more urgent issues.

• Not being able to SEE THE GAME absolutely does have a large gameplay impact. How can you play the game if you can't see it???

And if these issues are on the to do list, why won't anyone from Niantic say that? We've had three months and three updates, and no change to the visibility of the game.

• What exactly do you mean with "Can't see the game"? Game not loading?

• harkonnnenharkonnnen ✭✭✭✭

I will hold judgement till i see the prices for these cosmetic additions, but i must say I do look forward to getting the Enlightened Indicator (but personally I would have included these 3 for free or atleast for a tiny price since 2 are the classic Indicators and the 3rd is Toast, which they already had ingame). As long as you can interchange between them and they arn't stupid prices i will likely buy a few for when i feel like a minor change.

As for the Archives Bundles.....I like the character badges and while i hope Ingress store never sells high end gear I don't believe the included gear bundle really does that. I don't think at $30 and one of (or 1 a month) will have any impact, personally i think the only reason people will buy them is for the badge with the gear just being an included bonuses (sure if you had just the badge available for so $10 that would become very clear in the amount sold).

• HydracyanHydracyan ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2019

I don't believe this classic avatars should be for free, but that the prime standard one should be green/blue as well as it was before. Let the yellow bring standard, and with other 2 options available too (or just the one for your faction).

• There are several players who feel the current game looks so washed out on their phones that they cannot use prime.

Chromatic abberation was part of that. But the colors and brightness are also an issue, and have been since prime was introduced. Probably, it is a main reason for why so many long time players continued to cling to redacted, and even still sometimes argue that Redacted was better, and should be brought back.

Addressing the contrast and colors would be only a modification to graphics, but would vastly improve user interface.

The problem was partially addressed with the lighting dynamic, but note the user comments. Lots of complaints even with the lighting dynamic, and quite a few feel redacted had better visibility than prime.

Interest in making prime more visible during daytime goes back nearly to the beginning of this forum.

https://community.ingress.com/en/discussion/3409/ingress-insights-lighting-dynamics#latest

Others noted that the Web Content Accessability Guidelines protocol for user visibility via contrast are not met for prime 2.33 https://community.ingress.com/en/discussion/5306/bug-parityrequest-scanner-prime-contrast-fails-web-content-accessibility-guidelines-wcag-2-0#latest

Here are a number of gripes about portal visibility, complete with photos

In short, there are a lot of players with a lot of complaints about visibility of XM, portals, XM and portals under fields, field color, link color, etc. Most of these complaints specifically mention contrast. These issues have a long history, but not much has changed.

That's what I mean when I say we can't see the game. The playable elements in the game lack visual distinctness to several players. Players who attempt to play it rapidly develop eyestrain. Some even report headaches and nausea. Players cannot play a game if they cannot see to interact with the game, and I'm not saying we need better graphics. I'm saying we need better contrast. This could all be fixed by changing a few color values.

Niantic has not offered to make changes to those color values.

I think changing a few color values is not as difficult as introducing codes for new custom avatars that can be purchased from the store, and I feel very disrespected that such a longstanding request has not been dealt with.

• grendelwulfgrendelwulf ✭✭✭✭✭

What are you even talking about? Not being able to see the game?

• Desde que nivel se podrán utilizar???

• I'm talking about every single screen for every possible action in the game looks like someone poured coffee and donut sprinkles over my phone and then ironed it in place.

I can't see the game.

• I've heard that on some none-iOS devices, a lot of the visuals are very dark. That's why nearly all the latest updates always have "Increased XM visibility". I've never had an issue myself and didn't realize how bad it was until I started searching around the forums.

• grendelwulfgrendelwulf ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm on a Moto Z2 Force and the game looks beautiful.