When did speed lock get so horrible?

HosetteHosette ✭✭✭✭

Tonight I recharged a couple of portals while I filled my gas tank. I then hopped in the car and drove 20 minutes home, pulled over, and was speed-locked. Annoying, but OK. I waited another 16 minutes at the same location and was still speed-locked. Grumble. So much for spending 20 minutes playing around the neighborhood... I gave up and went home.

47 minutes after my last action I was finally able to play again, at which point it was too late.

In good ole days of Ingress, speed lock would nearly always expire 30 minutes after your last action. That was frustrating sometimes, but at least it was sensible. Now when I get locked I have no idea when I will be able to play again so I can't decide whether I should chill for a few minutes or whether I should give up. This seems to happen to me regularly.

I would very much like a sane and rational speed lock mechanism, assuming we even need one at all. The other two games have mostly dispensed with the wait-time based speed lock. Is it time for Ingress to follow suit?

Tagged:

Comments

• Did you try the solution to most Prime problems - restarting the app?

Based on my observation from this morning, speed lock is much better now than it used to be. Restarting didn't make any difference to the old speed lock, but maybe what you encountered is something different.

• hiryuhiryu ✭✭
    edited December 2019

I've been getting this a lot too after commuting, and sometimes just when walking through my building (due to drift issues, I assume). The main thing is to either stop the Ingress app before you leave, or when you get there but before bringing the app to the foreground. Otherwise I get locked maybe 25% of the time, and at that point restarting doesn't help.

I agree that a sane mechanism is needed. If I've been in the same place or moving slowly for a few minutes, why am I still locked for another 15-20 minutes? It's terrible, and I have to imagine for new players it's especially off-putting.

• HosetteHosette ✭✭✭✭

I've been in the software industry for decades-- of course I restarted. (-: It didn't help. And yes, I'm sure it's even more off-putting to new players than it is to me, but it's cost me multiple hours of potential play at this point.

I'm not even certain what problem speed lock is trying to solve these days. I doubt it does anything to address the current crop of location spoofers, though I obviously can't back that up with hard data. It definitely blocks legitimate play. What benefit does it bring to the game?

• Speedlock is a server thing. Restart will not help. Fake speedlock is caused by bug in client. Although it was really fixed in many scenarios. it still happens sometimes. When client is activated, it somehow picks up old (probably cached somewhere) location, then, immediately, a new one. Server thinks that you flew 100500 kilometers in a fraction of a second and bans you.