Instead of an 'Upgrade' I'd prefer to request Niantic manually check one of my rejected submissions

I keep having 5* candidates knocked back repeatedly and it's honestly driving me insane when I'm just trying to help. They won't be ready for December's big community day for people to have somewhere safe and indoors to play during the Australian Summer like I've been trying to prepare for months with little success.

I've had murals in shopping centres rejected as private property and seasonal. I've had coin operated play machines rejected like 6 times now with supporting statements pointing reviewers to where they can find the updated criteria list from within Wayfarer quite easily (though they've stopped rejecting with 'doesn't meet criteria,' and now choose seasonal and generic business, or low quality photo - anybody who uses the 1* photo rejection for this should be put on probation or just permanently banned - https://i.imgur.com/LHU12U8.png - when the criteria describes 1* as such a bad photo that you cannot **** the object).

At this point I think I'm passing my care point for creating new content for free, and it sounds like the trolls are going to dominate and drive everybody away who is actually trying to be useful. It's just punishing. I understand there's a lot of content to sift through, but I'd swap 5 upgrades for the chance to get Niantic to manually look at rejections of my choice, and do something about the reviewers who rejected them if they agree that it was a very wrong decision. Currently they're less than unhelpful, they're outright ruining the whole process.

Very frustrated. So many hours of my life down the drain thanks to these time wasters.

Comments

• Well, the pic really isn't the best with that big store name in the bg. I would make one from the front of the rides and slightly from above, so you don't see the bg.

Also, what is your description for them?

These rides also go into the temporary corner kinda since they can break and be gone or simply not be there for a while or moved somewhere else. I wouldn't submit them for these reasons.

• ZaltysZaltys ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019

Niantic signed the lawsuit settlement which forces them to manually review a 'significant number' of nominations. So I don't see this as something that's outside the realms of possibility.

But instead of manually checking rejected nominations, how about this: we could use upgrades to request a manual check for a nomination that's still in the queue. So it gets checked by Niantic, like in the 'good' old days. That way when the local reviewers reject a playground for the umpteenth time because it's 'too hard to access from outside the apartment complex', you can just hand it over to Niantic instead.

Make it one manual review per 500 approvals, and they wouldn't even get overwhelmed by those.

Post edited by Zaltys on
  • Australian shopping centre coin operated rides aren't like the American ones he included as the example in the AMA. It also said they needed to be permanently installed, which people choose to skip over.

Ours are typically a single ride like these, plugged into a power point.

http://rideon.com.au/ride-on/

• And I'm guessing the 'murals' he's talking about are the pictures they paint (often vinyl posters) on the temporary boarding to cover up empty shops.

• Nia don’t have a clue what’s happening in Opr atm,they have changed there minds 3 times this year alone on the playgrounds in(maccas-Bunnings ect),I know those coin machines are temporary so probably stay away from subbing them,murals should go through as long as there isn’t any advertising and in a temporary place.the best thing to do is 360 sphere the portal on google streets to help the voting.

• KliffingtonKliffington ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes that's how they all are. Just because it needs to be plugged in doesn't make it temporary. Anything requiring power needs them to be plugged in. A statue can be moved but those aren't considered temporary. Murals can easily be painted over but those are not considered temporary.

They are typically not moved/replaced for many years.

• ninthnomadninthnomad ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019

These are regularly replaced, and moved by cleaners.

If we're so desperate for portals that we need to make the Wiggles big red car a stop maybe we should pack it all in now.

• oscarc1oscarc1 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jumping the gun appears to be the problem with users lol

It might have helped if you read the rest of my comment before commenting about an extract of my paragraph and taking it out of context, see the next sentence:

They just seem like very low quality nominations to me (however they would be rated in accordance to the guidelines, much to my disdain lol)

• oscarc1oscarc1 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jumping to conclusions appears to be the problem with users lol

It might have helped if you read the rest of my comment before commenting about an extract of my paragraph and take it out of context, see the next sentence:

They just seem like very low quality nominations to me (however they would be rated in accordance to the guidelines, much to my disdain lol).

• Sorry, I did overlook that part honestly. Unfortunately some people intentionally ignore the guidelines and just follow what they like.

• Going to back up ninthnomad here.

The coin operated rides here in Australia are rotated out every few months. There are too tempory to be wayspots.

• TheismanTheisman ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2019

Best guess, because they used ones in America as a base line and have tried to have a "one size fits all rule" for them, which just doesnt work in all cases.

Near me there are some coin operated rides, apparently they are valid according to guidelines, however they are moved every night from outside the store to wherever they keep them over night, so for about 10 hours they just arent there, so these would be temporary.

However 20 miles down the road there is a store that leaves their machines where they are, 24 hours a day, come rain, sunshine, snow etc, so they would be permanent.

Both are apparently valid, yet one is temporary and one is permanent.

Another example is according to Niantic, only detached properties are classed as Private Residential Properties, and that doesn't work in the UK as the bulk of properties are of a terraced or semi detached nature, yet they are legally PRP no matter what Niantic say. UK Reviews do reject POIs placed on Terraced or Semi Detached properties, as we know they are PRP, no matter what Niantic want to say and believe

Niantic have agreed that local knowledge on certain things can over rule what is in the guidelines.

• Another example is according to Niantic, only detached properties are classed as Private Residential Properties,

Do you have a direct source for this? This is a point I’ve seen debated quite a lot and am not aware of where they’ve weighed in explicitly. (I have a few cases where their *actions* suggest they do not consider rowhouses/terraced houses to be PRP, but they haven’t said it outright.)

• ninthnomadninthnomad ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019

Because it needs to be viewed in the context of the picture they used. The question was 'indoor play areas' not 'individual rides'.

Larger permanent installations (ie, base mounted into the floor and tiled around, hard wired power supplies to the platform) are valid, not single rides that plug into a power point and can be moved by the cleaner.

• TheFarixTheFarix ✭✭✭✭✭

There was a Beatles mural on the side of a terrace that several individuals kept saying violated the private residential property rule and citing UK property law. However, since the terrace clearly had two units in a single building, Niantic rejected the removal request and all subsequent appeals.

• Yeah, that was one of the actions (or inactions in this case) I was referring to, but we all know that the appeals folks can be quite inconsistent. As I recall, they refused to remove something on a school that you appealed, which makes everything else they do less credible. So I'd love to see an active, definitive statement

• GearGliderGearGlider ✭✭✭✭✭

Near me there are some coin operated rides, apparently they are valid according to guidelines, however they are moved every night from outside the store to wherever they keep them over night, so for about 10 hours they just arent there, so these would be temporary.

However 20 miles down the road there is a store that leaves their machines where they are, 24 hours a day, come rain, sunshine, snow etc, so they would be permanent.

Both are apparently valid, yet one is temporary and one is permanent.

No, only the permanent one would be valid.

NIA says that temporary or seasonal displays are not valid. So it should follow that the coin operated rides are valid if they're not temporary displays.

Why are so many people hopping on this train of "Niantic made a specific case for temporary thing to be a portal!"? They clearly didn't.

I swear if any of you try to get more clarification about this because you can't tell that difference and they take coin rides away like they took away McDonalds playgrounds.....

• TheFarixTheFarix ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2019

At least the Beatles mural result made sense, even if there were several who disagreed with how Niantic interpreted private residential property in that case. No one, on the other hand, could figure out why Niantic sided with not removing an engraving on the side of Charleston Catholic High School, despite clear photographic evidence that showed the engraving was on school grounds.

• KliffingtonKliffington ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't want to keep harping on this but I'm not a fan of people deciding what is temporary just because. In your case yes, the one that gets put away at night is not permanent and shouldn't be submitted. But as a reviewer how are we supposed to determine that? We can't, so what happens is everyone 1* temporary object for all of them, even the ones that are intended to stay there. @GearGliders question included those in front of stores which are typically ones that are singular and not mounted.

There has been one in front of my local dollar store for over 20 years. The exact machine has changed a few times in that period. The current one has been there for at least 5 years. It's just plugged into the wall. It is intended to be there for a long time, not something that has a limited run which is the intent behind seasonal/temporary rejections.

• The guidelines for 1* a photo don't say anything about rejecting valid submissions because maybe 11% of the photo is a 'corporate sign' which is behind the POI.

You're exactly the kind of reviewer I want Niantic to look at and maybe shut down. You've forgotten that this is about creating playable waypoints with tiny little icons in a mobile game, not an art gallery curation which anybody looks at or cares about. Niantic doesn't even bother to get the aspect ratio right when people see the full image in very rare situations, they're not intending they be treated the way you're treating them.

I don't have unlimited time to jump through these pointless hoops that people like you are inventing. Just help make the game fun and playable in safe spots please, you should always be looking for how to agree with a review as your first priority and rejection is a sad last resort. Please remember there's real people trying to make content for games spending their time doing this, we're not interested in this art gallery fantasy that some of you imagine you're curating, it's just not relevant to anybody actually playing the games or submitting the POIs.

The picture is fine. It would look better than the vast majority of the photo discs in the game once it is cropped, with a bunch of colour and a large clear POI object.

• oscarc1oscarc1 ✭✭✭✭✭

You're hilarious. You posted your rant on an open forum which is open to comment by anybody, and that's what you got.

Rather than be completely dismissive and whinging about your nomination, how about taking a moment to read the details that other agents have given you on how you could improve the image?

- No MASSIVE corporate branding

- Have the subject in focus

- Better quality lighting

If you honestly think that your photo was perfect, you need to realise that the photo is people's first impression and that is what counts most. If all people see is a big JBHIFI logo, they might as well reject it for being a generic business.

The Niantic Real World Platform should have a standard of quality to it. Otherwise if your intention is to submit every little thing just because you can, then you pollute that database with rubbish. Quality is important in a world of quantity.

• You dictator wannabes who are getting your power trips from game reviewing are exactly who I want banned for the regular people who just want to put in content for a game. I'm asking Niantic to specifically weed out people like you, not looking for your advice. I'm well aware of all the pointless pretend hoops you try to invent during your impractical power plays which have nothing to do with accessible content in the game, I've added hundreds of submissions and reviews over the years, and am beyond caring what you say, I just want you dealt with and to stop wasting the time of decent and practical people actually trying to make the game playable for people years after the content should have been added.

Even over a simple free phone game, you lot show why you can't give humans just a little bit of power or ask them to use common sense in interpreting a guideline, or they will abuse it and be 'regretful' bullies. Your sneering enforcement of made up irrelevant rules is not convincing, it just gives more motivation to organize some response.