PoGo **** business

Comments

• kkbittenkkbitten ✭✭
    edited December 2019

Some people need to get over this ingress nostalgia! They keep blaming PoGo players but the real ones to blame are Niantic and their obscure rules! Niantic need to say “yeah, we do want more wayspots everywhere so we r adding playground, pools and everything we know exist a lot in every city so they become portals” .

What I do agree is that they need to fix the system to avoid gaming! No more than 1 pokestop for 17 cell or portal for 19 will be allowed EVER and a abuse report option for editions would fix 90% of the **** people are doing out there.

• kholman1kholman1 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2019

valid edits do allow for more than 1 stop per L17 cell but no intentional gaming is not acceptable. If someone fixes a portal location and it happens to make a new gym or stop oh well but the examples of duplicating locations like in canada or the germany and moscow examples should not be tolerated the poi needs to be where it actually is. I had an actual case of where two portals were improperly placed along the road from when submissions opened early on I moved the portals to the actual objects and it did create a new stop but it was to get a portal off of someones private residence and put the library at the actual building not just at the driveway with poor access and no sign. Or the fact I found 2 parks with the park sign in the middle of the parking lot instead of at the actual sign.

• To give a bit of insight to what I’m talking about, from my location right now I can see a George VI postbox that has been approved, from the January 2019 AMA it was stated “regular mass produced postboxes should be rejected”, well of that cypher there are 9500 around the country and they are exactly the same as the majority of the others just with a different royal cipher on the front. This does not meet any criteria (any many of the less rare postboxes are also live portals)

another example I can see is the train timetable at the station. The Railway station already had a portal as well as another history board so this train timetable board does not meet any criteria.

i can also see a basic public footpath marker which have never been listed in the acceptable list of trail markers. Some areas are full of portals like this, and the issue we have is that when people see these types of “points of interest” live then they assume they are acceptable and start accepting more things like it.

• kholman1kholman1 ✭✭✭✭

Not every country went with using the post boxes like the U,K. the guide specifically states from wayfarer no postal boxes. To be honest until Niantic says otherwise those post boxes are on the do not submit list. I am not seeing such a mass amount of mass produced approved in the U.S. This issue is likely local to your area. I mean we told agents in the U.K. they would wind up on every corner.

• That still doesn’t get round the issue of masses of portals which have never met any criteria, it’s not just postboxes and footpath markers. Lots of rubbish has been accepted (not saying it’s a new thing it did happen before but not at the current rate)

• kholman1kholman1 ✭✭✭✭

It really depends on the area honestly. I mean my area had people join ingress a while back just to submit portals. I still play and go to FS. What I am seeing there may be a few here or there that are not the best or should be a portal such as a generic condo building. But i am mostly seeing hyper locals approved, parks, etc that meet the guide. It does look it went from filling in blank areas to now it is just tuck in portals for urban areas. It took a year but I am seeing a lot of areas fill in and with valid submissions. The generic mc donalds isn't passing nor is the branch in your yard passing. It really depends on local voters.

• Svizac28Svizac28 ✭✭
    edited December 2019

This Featured Wayspot feature gave me so many laughs. At one time it choose a portal inside naval military base (an old anchor) as "beautiful example of a historic or cultural landmark that is easy to access for all".

Really? Easy to access? You can end up in jail for tresspassing there.

• I am sorry but the “I am moving it to the right place” is the excuse the ones gaming the system are doing to create areas like the first post! If the wayspot was submitted in the right place for the 1st time it would never become a portal or pokestop so it’s not ok for it remains there when you move. Niantic should erase one of them, probably the newest one and that will fix things and prevent people to continue to do those things cause they will see pokestops/portals missing.

• kholman1kholman1 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2019

No I don't agree with erasing anything and this thought is selfish in itself. The only time one of these edits should be removed and reverted if it is proven the edit was false. If they did it properly place an object that was in the wrong location that stop or gym was side effect of the change not a manipulation of the S2 z17 cell spacing which all of the abuse examples did. I mean Niantic has evidence of the edits. Trying to punish a community on a valid edit is laughable considering there are still valid edits to be made. Why should niantic downgrade a portal when an agent placed the pin in the wrong location and it made a stop and the correct location would not have? I mean I had that happen I moved a mural from the middle of the road to get it away from the rail road tracks for a safety issue it made 2 stops in a z17 cell. Not abuse I have more examples of fixing bad locations but not every single edit world wide for one is for trying to cheat the system.

I am sorry but I fixed these portals submitted by agents who in the past gamed the system. Give me a break, I am tired of agents playing victim. A lot of portals were messed with early on. We are not to judge an entire community on the acts of a few people. Sorry not happening. Like placing something at the parking lot so an agent could playing ingress from the car happened a lot. Why did we wind up with park signs in the middle of the parking lot or portals next to the road away from the object. These bad edits are not new and everyone quit acting like it is. I guess we just forgot that agents did the same thing and want to pin the blame on someone else. Act like adults and report actual abuse and quit stewing over every submission. I moved pins on top of the object not to add more stops. I dealt with a park that was inaccurate for years a arch was next the parking lot not on the object, amptheater next to the road not on the actual ampitheater, a pavilion 5 feet off of the actual object. things like that not just shifting things to fit the cell as some call it. Also its a domino effect. Early on people didn't follow the place the pin where object is they instead placed the pin where the photo was taken. We wound up with portals half way up the hill due to things like this. A statue at the bottom of the hill was at the top of the hill due to it getting approved where the photo was taken. I am for properly cleaning up portal locations but adding more stops or gyms is a secondary effect of the change not the primary intended consequence. Tired of agents doing the fudging as well I have seen agents complain about getting too close to submit and they will fudge to create a portal. If an area comes up for edit they better be proper edits and not moving back and forth to make stops etc. Just one time fix to get the location correct. I am for one touch make ready (do it right the first time) on submissions and edits. Tonight I sent in title and description edits to fix a park I misspelled the name of the park. If we allow fudging it is just making it harder to properly approve portals. I do not support these examples shown moving portals to L17 just to add more stops I support reverting the changes and yanking the stops as a punishment. It had to of been an ingress agent who knew what they were doing in each one of these cases. There is no edit option in pogo yet. I get it it sucks that fields are popped with edits etc and false edits ruin score etc. but there needs to be some middle ground and not everything is one of the fringe examples. I cleaned up an area as I knew someone was submitting the area and I figured I would clean it up so that all of the portals were properly located this was the library and fire station not being where they should be.

Post edited by kholman1 on
  • @kholman1

IF the portal was submitted in the right location it would never be in the game so erasing it is not wrong 🤷🏼‍♀️

• Why did you do a location edit to a fire station instead of just report it for removal? I'm just having a difficult time visualizing where that would be a better scenario.

• To play Devil's Advocate here:

Some fire stations are of high cultural and/or historic importance, beyond the services they and their staff provide to the community. (Case in point: Hook & Ladder Company 8 in New York City - if you've ever seen the original Ghostbusters, you'll recognize it almost immediately as Ghostbusters HQ.)

• 1* reasons involving safety and lawsuits always override acceptance criteria.

doesnt matter how important visually or culturally it is if it causes issue with emergency devices then it’s an automatic 1*

• And I'm not saying I disagree with that. Merely presenting a possible rationale that might be used to justify submitting a location edit for a contentious portal instead of filing a removal request.

• sophielabsophielab ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019

Location edits that bring something closer to an area that potentially can create a health and safety issue was my concern.

If I actually follow the story correctly, it was on private residential property. It was only a portal but not in pokemon go. You choose to edit the location to put the fire station portal closer to the fire station and got the benefit of a new pokestop in the process. You can correct me if I am wrong.

Post edited by sophielab on
  • But it's your opinion that you are trying to dictate what is a "great" ingress portal. Everything I have submitted falls within niantics guidelines. So what you are basically saying is niantic is wrong as to what they want as portals.

I like both dence and spread out portals provides a different dynamic on how to play. But why should a small village with few portals or stops not be aload to play either game or level up? That's unfair on them.

Instead of creating community's you sound like you want to destroy them because you dont or wont adapt your style of play.

• kholman1kholman1 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2019

first off the rules have been only if it obstructs emergency services. It is the fire station sign next to a sidewalk for the main road not to the fire station. It is valid. Not interfering with emergency services otherwise I would have reported it. Trying to pull every fire station is not a valid reason. The portal is on a side of the building facing the road not blocking a driveway or emergency exit. People can park and walk to it or walk by on the sidewalk. I placed the pin at the actual sign. @sophielab this is a valid edit. It doesn't matter if it created a stop. We shouldn't just say report because it made a stop on a valid move that is where it should have been to begin with and did not obstruct emergency services. The stop was created fixing an issue where the portal along with a library portal were wrongly placed to optimize ingress car playing at a 45 degree angle. The stop created was a secondary effect of cleaning up two portals and placing them where they belong. This isn't a heavily played area for either game nor should it cause issues. It is in a semi rural area. I agree it probably is a legacy portal. But I wasn't going to remove it when it has valid access.

Post edited by kholman1 on
  • Given the amount of fire stations and sometimes the memorials that have been removed near me and then the number of submissions of memorials next to the removed stuff, I always question when someone says it's valid. (For the record, it wasn't me reporting. It was far too widespread and systematic for that.)

• kholman1kholman1 ✭✭✭✭

I understand it was a systematic purge. At the same time I have to wonder if these rural reports of mass reporting were all valid. It seemed some were trying to pull remote anchors and used emergency services as a way to do it. Someone recently purged a ton of lake fountains in Houston and surrounding areas.

• TheFarixTheFarix ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the "purge" was the result of Pokemon Go, actually. All the FDs that became Pokestops were removed simultaneously, while FDs that were missing photos and thus didn't become Pokestops were left untouched. Remember that my area was where it was first noticed that portals without photos did not get ported over the Pokemon Go.

• kholman1kholman1 ✭✭✭✭

Not necessarily. There is a few here that had photos that were untouched unless photos got added after the main purge? I always remember there being a stop in that same town at the fire dept and a gym here locally that is at city hall and a monument of a fire hydrant since the beginning of pogo.

• Yup that's simply abuse. I don't mind it when it is still accurate but the edit will make it a Pokéstop, in those cases it's fine. But I hate when people cheat the system by moving it away from the correct location only for it to become a Pokéstop.

However I also feel it's odd Niantic to this day limits Pokéstops/Gyms to L17, I think abuse would also decrease a lot if either it was 1:1 or at least as good as WU.

• kholman1kholman1 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2019

you do realize both were in the same L17 in wrong location? The fire station portal was across the road from where it should on a private residential property and the library was no where near the building they placed it where the photo was taken at the entrance to the driveway for the library and there is no sign for the library except on the building. I moved them to the correct locations creating a second stop.

The second scenario has the actual statue at city hall as city hall, public works and fire station all share same building and there is a parking lot and parking on the side of the building for city hall not obstructing emergency services.

none of these are wrongly placed.

• MrJPGamesMrJPGames ✭✭
    edited December 2019

I was replying to the original post. I don't know what you are talking about. I would have quoted your post if I was responding to what you were saying.

• HydracyanHydracyan ✭✭✭✭✭

They should reset their sytem from time to time, making it gors back to just one for each s17 cells, making all this kind of edits pointless.

• kholman1kholman1 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2019

quite honestly. I am tired of people saying things like this. People are are posting the 1% abuse it may not even be that high. We only have a handful examples like shown even known to exist worldwide. I rarely even have seen a L17 share more than 1 pokestop to begin with it is so rare and quite frankly very rude for someone to say purge but keep the portal if it was a valid edit. Most of these were done by agents a long time ago. At this point I am measuring 20m in some areas to see if we can fit even portals in dense areas not just for pogo, We have agents and pogo players in my area submitting quite frankly I don't care if a portal makes it to pogo or not it is going to either happen or not. I don't support fudging and I am checking accuracy to see if is blocking any other potential submissions. My downtown area just got several new murals in the last year all but one made it into pogo oh well it happens not hurting my feelings just like I submitted a horse statue on the local campus that only made it into ingress so we could do a banner. I am just glad we got all the murals added to the network. It isn't all about pogo. We have even had agents complaining about the 20m rule and were fudging to bring online.

• s3w2s3w2 ✭✭✭

These are just some random examples of how the landscape is changing. These scenarios are real and made possible due to edited locations and fake submissions. These people are gaming the system and there's not much we can do. Actually, Niantis is not doing enough to stop it, so why should we? What's the point?

• it does look like the poke stops in your photos are indeed being moved randomly. I don’t get why someone would do this.