Recursion Benefits

Comments

• RionanRionan ✭✭

Gain an ability that you select and it will be unique and to upgrade it you need more recursion

Like if you hack you again more burster or resonators or double key all with a percentage for each level

• Recurse is not a fair / balance achievement for all and needs re-working, only benefits those in well populated towns & cities etc.

• edited June 2019

I think all the VR gear we get from leveling up is good enough incentive to recurse. Maybe some extra vr gear when we recurse like VR LinkAmps ? Give us a little extra something.

• I get this isn't Diablo 3, nor is Ingress developed by Blizzard Entertainment / Activision, but the statement stands. Recursing is a way of going "above and beyond" your current soft level cap. Therefore, you should slowly increase in power, not decrease.

@Majeye, I don't know what silly storyline leads to Paragon, or Prestige, or whatever all the other 2nd time around modes there are in other games, but in Ingress, the scanner says, 'uh, we think you might be replaced with an xm simulacrum, would you like to dive into that assumption and connect deeper into a full copy mode of yourself?'

So you're a copy, and a copy that, based on storyline, has a limited shelf-life. I don't see the inherent benefit. I don't see any need for any extra abilities.

From a game-design perspective, it gives me the option to pick the faction which is opposite to my nature (which I hate) and makes me go through the leveling up process again (which I hate).

Personally, I have no reason to recurse from a game point of view, or a storyline point of view. I'd be perfectly happy if it stayed that way.

• If simulacrum lives only for 1331 days, shouldn't all recursed agents went back to lv1 after that time? 🤔

yes, but that would make sense with the storyline, so they won't do it.

• Recursion should increase submisson limit from 14 to 20 per 13 days.

• I personally would recurse for the bragging rights ...

• IshiraIshira ✭✭✭✭✭

It has been pointed out in investigations that the scanner recursion is much different from the researchers recursion and that it is still unknown what it will fully do to agents but it is believed at this time we do not recurse after the normal time limit.

It would however be interesting if that was a goal. You have to recurse before a certain time to avoid delays or something and until you recurse again your scanner doesnt go back to normal.

I do however really like the archetype idea. It has been an idea tossed around before. I would like to see something implemented that worked around the rpe systems theyve been working on too. Theres a way to build you character in their table top that revolves around your in game scanner and I think it would be nice to go off the guidelines for the rpe to determine which archetype agents are.

• VAINVAIN ✭✭✭✭

It's already been stated but the ability to select a Magnus archetype with some small associated bonus would be awesome. Thinking of small themed bonuses such as a Recursed agent picking Visionary gaining the ability to transmute hacked items once a day into a specific payout category for example. Perhaps a Patron being able to deploy 4 level 5 resonators on a portal for a specific amount of times daily/etc. Each subsequental Recursion could either grow that Archetype ability or select a new one. Any unlocked Archetypes could be switched to at will or on some sort of cool down.

• An interesting one would be a "redacted" skin option, only available/purchasable after recursion. I think it may keep a chunk of the dedicated players happy to find a way to keep playing to get that sweet 1.0 skin. ( Myself, I prefer Prime :0 )

• I'd really like to see something like increased inventory, an additional key locker or extra portal submissions. However, even something cosmetic like the ability to move around or hide medals and mission badges on the profile would be appreciated.

• EngrishEngrish ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2019

My post from a similar thread.

Additional storage, 25 spaces PER recurse

Weapon dmg and range/mod upgrades, 5% PER recurse

XM storage 5% PER recurse,

Double deploy of one of the single deployable resonators.

Agent icon enhancement, some sort of imagery on how many times you have recursed and an unlock of more icons to customize.

At the moment recursing is like Redbull, it gives you wings, but you still can't fly.

• Some simple suggestion(s) for recursion benefit:

• You keep your XM bar - how awesome would that be??? You have earned it, why does it need to reset to 0??
    • Increased attack on XMP/US's (after all - you are more experienced!!! maybe from 20% to 30% for critical hits???) - but maybe only when under a field of your faction. Aligns with story/anime
    • Maybe recurssion increases your chance of critical hit/increased chance to knock mods off -
    • Increase in link/recharge range - same justification - you are more experienced!
    • Extra deploys is a good one - double R8's/double mods (but only if under field or not??)
    • swap mods - hmm. What a changer that would be!
    • Increased number of outbound links per portal

However, if you recurse, there has to be an offset:

• Maybe reduction in max xm bar ie 5% per recursion? (after all - you are no longer the "original", but instead a clone or simulacra!)
    • To retain full bar/privs, then must hack an L8 portal monthly to refresh? (maybe too much overhead on servers to work?).

Previous ideas that have inherent problems:

• Inventory space - all should be the same - irrespective of recursion or not - same "universe", same rules. Same space

Just to put some ideas/counter arguments out there ...

• yngemaryngemar ✭✭✭

While it would be fun to play around with various higher powers like archetypes or more inventory, I think in the end these would tilt the balance of the game out of **** in favor of the players who are already obsessive enough to recurse. Having recursed twice (and on my way to a third time in the next month), I already feel like an AP-hungry bull in a china shop - I don't need a further competitive advantage over folks who have less time to play than I do, especially if it is frustrating for folks who aren't recursed to face someone who has advantages they can't access.

I'd love a memento-key locker, or extra PoI submissions, or more mission submissions, or some other reward that doesn't affect gameplay. The furthest I'd be happy going in the direction of a gameplay reward would be a minor bump to the xm bar - say 100xm per recursion? I don't think that would make you particularly overpowered in a face-off, and it would (after 5-6 recursions) fulfill my pointless fantasy of being able to chew 3 pc8s at level 16 without wasting any xm.

But, in the end, I'll clearly recurse even if there's never a reward beyond them wings. I just enjoy the challenge!

• I always imagined that by recursing, which essentially means changing your physical being into the metaphysical, should have thematic in-game effects. Just giving a bit of extra this or that is simply not exciting (imo).

How about some unique equipment?

since recursed agents "live" in the network, why not allow them to do strange things? For example, how about giving a recursed agent the ability to "send" an item across the network to another agent? You could give the virtual carrier various limits, like a land speed that increases with recursed level (recursed once, your metabuggy travels at 50mph, twice at 60, and so on, or increase the capacity of the buggy). It could reinvigorate the game (more field wars!) and fit thematically.

Another idea would be action projection - a recursed agent has a longer range for certain actions.

And so on. I had written down a few more of these when recursion was announced, I can try to dig them up if you like.

• thesolothesolo ✭✭✭✭✭

Recursed agents live inside the network upon recursing. As such, there should be a one-time correction that allows your Recursion stat to tick up not for the number of times you've hit the Recursion button, but the number of times you already achieved L16 prior to Recursion being invented, per your lifetime AP stat.

I.e. if you have 82 million and have Recursed, it should count as 2, because you achieved 40 million twice. Otherwise an agent with 200M AP and an agent who just hit 40M AP have the same identical Recusion experience, even though it is far more "disruptive" (per the story line, living in the network) for agents of higher AP. It should be fully retroactive.

The benefits therefore should be minor but scale for those agents, as the Recursion process should recurse their AP once they do it.

• Lol, everyone gets this when forced over to prine regardless, so are you suggesting like a d20 roll for more crashing with each recurse?

• If you are a copy, then somewhat consistent with that would be additional 7/8 reso deployments as both u and the copy deploy, and maybe for a limited time per recursion till you degrade, but its not like story ever had any real game impact, hopefully that will not change.

• i honestly see recursion as a way to not stop your addiction by creating a new account in the same account

• If a Simulacrum stands up for 1331 days, then after that time agents would recurse involuntarily or the scanner would stop to work.

How about a benefit related to this 1331 day period?

• thesolothesolo ✭✭✭✭✭

It's marginally harder; the only difference is the XM bar, so your attacks and recharging are more annoying, and that can easily be negated by Lawson cubes. Otherwise, I see no difference whatsoever.

Recursion is inherently recursive. It should apply retroactively.

• ZennZenn ✭✭✭✭

I agree. Perhaps recursion can give access to another set of objectives and gameplay above 1-16... Perhaps recursed fields that only recursed agents can see and affect.

A shard game...locally that only recursed agents can take part in.

Do you think recursing could carry added features that you would support?