My hypothesis regarding why Wayfarer ratings can change after just a few reviews

My hypothesis on the subject is that it doesn't actually happen. It appears to happen that way because of a hidden number.

If you check your wayfarer profile and add up your accepts, rejects and duplicates and then subtract that number from your total reviews, you get a number. That number is composed of two types of reviews. Disagreements and undecideds. There is no way to differentiate them.

When a review in undecided status reaches a decision in line with other reviewers, you will see a change in one of three categories as well as an increase in upgrade %. However, if the review reaches a decision in disagreement with the reviewers decision, no changes to your numbers are visible, at least not until those disagreements reach the point of affecting your status.

So when you reviewed a few poi and then saw that your status suddenly dropped to good or poor, it's highly unlikely that those had anything to do with the change, they're just as likely to be undecided.

I don't think it's coincidental that some of the people reporting this are people with high numbers of reviews. In fact that fits, they're far more likely to have high numbers of undecided reviews. The influx of large numbers of new reviewers simply brought many of those to the decision point, and in a small amount of time because many of them probably only needed a few more votes to cross the tipping point.

In short, it isn't the reviews you just did, it's your past decisions catching up with you.

Comments