Clear definition of "Pedestrian Access"

I understand the need to make sure that people are safe from traffic and other environmental dangers while playing Ingress, PoGo, or HP:WU. Making the distinction that sidewalks and crosswalks are needed to be "safe" is very limiting to rural players. I'd like to see the Pedestrian Access include anything on the side of the road where there isn't a yellow line, either single, broken, or double. This would open up a lot of things for rural players who are already hurting for wayspots.

Comments

• TheismanTheisman ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019

They cant and this was covered previous in an AMA

Q27: **** Preston - When it comes to "Safe Pedestrian Access" - There seems to be discrepancies between the definition for locations in Europe vs North America. In North America, there are these nice sidewalks, traffic signs, and such that makes an obvious "Safe Passage". In many places in Europe there are many streets where there aren't many paths dedicated to Pedestrian access. [..] Should there be different criteria for different regions based on local guidelines and traditions that the community follows, or should there be a global criteria where "Safe Pedestrian Access" is the same?

A27: It would be impossible to set a specific global requirement. We also have to default to local municipalities and their laws. What is required in Thailand for a pedestrian offset may not be required in England. But both are deemed safe by local laws. So there is essentially different criteria and why people of a region and familiar with places review submissions. 

• When reviewing is concerned I take the meaning of safe access on face value. ca I stand next to it without getting hit by a car. If yes I accept if no I reject. Simple as that really i dont care if people can access it from the other side of the road. No doubt if peoples gps drifts they will walk into to reach and stop to deploy resinators.

• You've gotta have a reasonable walking path. Emphasis on walking. If it's not right off of the sidewalk it needs to have a safe path from a sidewalk. I recently had to reject a bicycle trail bridge because there was no walkway. I hated doing it but those are the guidelines