Would you reject this as a low quality photo?

There has been so much debate about this already over on /r/NianticWayfarer, but I figure at least asking here has the chance of an official response.

Comments

• TheismanTheisman ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019

Whats the POI meant to be, a generic footbridge?

I assume your asking due to the finger in the corner.

Personally no i wouldn't reject it as a low picture, but just based on the picture without any additional informs I would reject it as not meeting criteria

• From the OP on the other thread, apparently yes -- it's a footbridge. (This was not something I reviewed so this is coming secondhand. If any further details needed feel free to go find the Reddit thread -- I'm not sure if I'm supposed to link it here directly)

The question is more related to the finger in the photo. Would you reject it due to that?

• I'd reject it as Not Meeting Criteria (much the same as @Theisman would), with my reasoning being as follows:

1. No indication as to notability of the footbridge; is it part of a trail or linear park, is it named for a notable figure in the community (with an appropriate plaque)? I legitimately cannot tell from this photograph alone.
    2. Part of the photograph is obscured by the photographer's finger. (Yes, it's not as bad as if it were blurry, tilted, or completely black/entirely obscured by the offending digit, but it smacks of low effort to me.)
  • ToxoplasmollyToxoplasmolly ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019

With the way I generally review nominations, my initial impression would be: 1*, Doesn’t Meet Criteria, Unremarkable bike rack. It’s then up to the title, description, and the location to change my mind. Supposing that they convince me that the footbridge is actually a fine POI, I’m still probably not going above 2*, maybe 3*, for that photo. It’s just a not a good photo of the footbridge, whether or not that finger in the corner is there.

• Uh why would someone want to make a portal out of a bike rack?

Because they want a PokéStop or Gym there? I don't know. There are mind numbingly bad submissions out there; that bike rack isn't even close to being amongst the worst of them.

• KliffingtonKliffington ✭✭✭✭✭

You'd be surprised.

We have a bike rack portal but it's shaped like a shark. I've seen people try to submit regular ones too

• ZaltysZaltys ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019

Of course. Visible fingers are an automatic rejection, as per the guidelines.

Edit: Hm, I just realized that the current guide doesn't mention that. Still, I assume that the rules haven't changed: visible fingers, car hoods, etc are to be rejected.

• TheismanTheisman ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019

Visable body parts is not in the guidlines as an automatic rejection

You can have pictures with people in, whole bodys, and they can still be accepted

• All the more reason I wish WE could crop photos in reviewing. @Anlashok - wasn't the update to bridges qualifying meant to include paths in parks?

• TntnnbltnTntnnbltn ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019

According to the Reddit post, this was the title and description...

Title: Walking bridge 

Description: Walking bridge located at the El Paseo Del Centro marker. Dedicated to Colonel Louis Farr Jones. Shot down over Laos Nov. 29, 1967. Dedicated by Vietnam Veterans of America #457 Sep. 22, 1990.

I think the photo could be much better (landscape for starters to match the orientation of the bridge) but I wouldn’t 1 star for photo quality on this one...

I know the finger is in the corner, but it is very small, and given its position I think it wouldn’t show up in any in-game images. Ingress would crop off the top and bottom of the photo to make it fit a landscape orientation, and Pokémon Go makes it fit in a circle so would cut off the corner. The only time you would even be able to see it is in Intel.

Plus, all it takes is someone to submit a better photo and it is replaced.

To quote the help pages:

Please give a 1 star if the nomination has the following issues: • Nomination where the photo or information appears to focus on a person/group of people, body parts, live animals, instead of an object

My personal take: The operative phrase is “focus on,” and Niantic doesn’t pay me enough to mollify their lawyers and go over each photo with a fine-tooth comb. So, the question I ask myself is something like, “did I notice and get distracted by X?”

That finger in the corner? Meh. Not great, but also not quite distracting enough to get a 1* from me. 🤷‍♂️

• Yeah, and just to be clear I'm not wondering so much about the eligibility of a footbridge in a park. I want to know specifically if it were ANY candidate, would that amount of finger in the photo qualify for immediate 1* on "low quality photo" grounds.

• Whoab0tWhoab0t ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019

1.) Yes, for the finger. It's not hard to keep your finger out of the frame. It's distracting and extremely low effort. Like, you're standing in the park, looking at your phone; it takes two seconds to look at the picture and make sure it looks presentable, y'know? It's like getting part or all of your car door in the shot, if you take the picture from your car.

2.) If this is for the bridge, then yes for that too. This would be a great "surrounding area" frame, but there's too much going on in the foreground for the subject to be the background.

That said, I don't know that I would one-star it for not meeting criteria. The title is unremarkable, though.

(edited changing the "past-tense-word-for-****" to "frame")

• I want to say yes, but I'm not a hundred percent sure.

• Valid sub, 3 stars. That's not a problem, photos are easily replaced.

• RyuuVanDracoRyuuVanDraco ✭✭
    edited November 2019

No. Sneaky fingers happen, angle could be better, but who really cares?

There is enough to do as if I could go through the effort of rejecting everything that has such tiny flaws 99% of the people will never notice. In PoGo you won't even see the finger if you don't take an extra look at the pic since it's cut off.

So better live with that as having the same submission in the system again, or even worse, as duplicate.

With Ingress lv 8 people can send in new pics and Niantic will replace them eventually within the next 5000 years.

• AnlashokAnlashok ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019

"Sneaky fingers happen" isn't an excuse for not checking the photograph before submitting it, though - and on my phone, at least, the Ingress Prime app shows you a preview of the photograph as taken, with the option to retake it.

(It's like a visual version of that old XKCD comic about having to listen to any comment you want to post being read back to you before you were allowed to post it.)

• TheismanTheisman ✭✭✭✭✭

Prime doesn't always show the whole picture.

If they submitted it as a remote sub they would have only seen a thumb nail pic to begin with and then when its added to prime then they wouldn't see the outer edges of the picture.

So its quite conceivable that they took the picture quickly on a camera app where usually you dont get a preview after each photo. They then added it remotely, where you wouldnt see the finger in the thumbnail pic if it was a landscape picture as it would be cropped from the thumbnail, and in prime when added it still wouldnt show the whole pic.

Accidents can happen

• Please don't waste people's time with spurious rejections.

• AnlashokAnlashok ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019

What's spurious about it? The finger is just one factor; the other - and, I would say, main - factor is that the photograph doesn't support the claims made in the description.

The only thing that can theoretically be verified is that the bridge exists. Whether it's actually dedicated as claimed, that I can't verify.

Now, if there were a plaque or marker or some other object attached to the bridge (or, at the very least, in close proximity to it) that supports the claim, and the submitter included a picture of it - either in frame with the bridge, or in close-up as part of the supporting information - I'd rate it differently.

"Spurious" would be rejecting it as a "natural feature", or a "temporary/seasonal display", or "obstructing emergency services".

• McReesingtonMcReesington ✭✭
    edited November 2019

The finger is not a factor.

Literally the first google result: https://www.google.com/search?q=%22Louis+Farr+Jones%22+bridge

Stop creating spurious reasons to reject. You're wasting people's time.

• The first result is a news article hidden behind a paywall.

(I assume you know what that means, but in case you don't: it means you have to part with money in order to read the article. You don't pay, you can't read.)

The second is this thread.

And the only image that's even remotely relevant to the question at hand comes from - wait for it - this thread.

No, I'm not even joking:

Now, I get that you don't like the reasoning behind my opinion - and frankly, nobody's asking you to - but calling it "spurious" is just flat-out nonsensical.

• The only "pay wall" was a one question Google quiz. The blurb in Google mentions the bridge. It's only the first result. If you can't see the full article it's an easy 3-4 star description without outright confirming it.

Stop wasting people's time with spurious rejections. Drop the condescension and faked helplessness too, I've heard worse from better.

• ZaltysZaltys ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019

I am relatively sure that someone official told us to reject any photo with visible fingers, back in the Google days.

Additionally, here's one of my early submissions. I was told to report it, and Niantic deleted it because of the finger. So no, not a spurious rejection.

• Y'know, if you didn't explicitly mention the finger, I wouldn't have known it was there.

(I'm guessing it's the black blob in the lower right corner that could easily be mistaken for a shadow?)

• McReesingtonMcReesington ✭✭
    edited November 2019

As others have mentioned, the finger will not show up in the games. It's not listed in the current guidelines as anything notably important. It can be easily changed later.

If the picture is seriously obstructed then worry about it. Right now, many of you are wasting people's times, and seem to enjoy looking for excuses to be as impractical as humanly possible.

• Well, maybe they - and you - should re-read the guidelines, then.

And maybe Niantic should make people take a test before they're allowed to submit nominations.

• I'd probably rate on merits, the photo sucks though and could be improved. I have however rejected poi where it's almost impossible to determine what the poi is even if I know it should be there. We shouldn't be having to dig up and chase information, that wastes reviewers time. It's up to the nominations to convince the reviewers. If I submit something with a **** photo, or put sod all efforts into description I expect a reject. All I see now is entitlement, if the nomination was rejected, submit again. Sheesh.