Portal submission crash on ios with existing picture

i have got 2 phones :

iphone 6+ ios 12.4.3

iphone 8 ios 12.4

i have got the following trouble with both.

if i try to submit a portal with live picture it works.

if i try to submit a portal with an existing picture it crashs the ingress application.

when i choose the picture the application close itself.

i have to relaunch it from ios desktop.

do anybody else have got that problem?

I heard that some other players on android (samsung) has temporarly got that problem.

it appears one or two weeks ago.

my ingress version is 2.35.2-356e76d5

Comments

• I also tried with small picture (112.6 Ko). The application also crashed.

for exemple one that crash:

https://us.v-cdn.net/6031689/uploads/263/K95YZEXIP5H4.jpeg There was an error displaying this embed.

On a previous version of ios/prime. That picture was working.

we tried to submit it using android phone : it works.

• 3car3car ✭✭✭

For me I use iPhone XS max. It summarizes into this

1. Photo taken or choosing photo that was taken by my phone: Good
    2. Choosing a screenshot: Error message
    3. Choosing a photo that is a) Saved to the gallery or b) imported from iCloud library: Crash

Plz check if it works the same; then we can report this issue to the developers. If not, please add more details for help.

Regards

• 3car3car ✭✭✭

Whatever the case, I do think only photos we really taken by our phone should be submitted. Pity not able to submit 8k photos or smth.

• starwortstarwort ✭✭✭✭✭

I disagree. Although for most purposes phone pictures are good, there are some times when you can get a much better quality photo with a real camera. (There are a couple of portals round here that I used a camera for: they are statues on the top of a high building, so if I'd used the phone camera they'd have been tiny silhouettes.)

• I am having the same problem. It's really frustrating.

• 3car3car ✭✭✭

Thanks for the comments, I must have thought the matter selfishly.

• pr0mpr0m ✭✭
    edited November 2019

Same problem,

on ios 13.2.3 iphone 11 pro max crash

on ios 13.2.2 iphone 8 crash

I resize picture and change format ( heic-to jpeg) and works, picture was taken with iphone 11 pro max

Post edited by pr0m on
  • NelkonNelkon ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019

I have the same crash bug with Prime v2.37.3 on iOS on an iPhone 6s.

First I thought that it only happens when I import a higher resolution pictures by Wifi from my camera and submit them to Niantic. But I recently chose a picture taken with my iPhone from the gallery and had the same crash.

Example of a picture that made the scanner crash:

At least I have a workaround: I send the picture with Telegram to a bot, that doesn't mind to be spammed with pictures. After I redownload the picture it lost quality, size and resolution but at least it doesn't crash the Prime scanner.

Converted example picture:

Another UX annoyance is fixed by this workaround. While [Redacted] let you choose pictures from any gallery on your iPhone the Prime scanner just gives you access to the mediocre "moments" view. So if you're a rather active photographer it's a pain in the **** to scroll down to a picture that was taken 1-2 weeks/months ago (yes, sometimes there are more important things in life than submitting waystops immediately...especially when you have 2 small children).

Due to the workaround at least the freshly downloaded pictures from Telegram can be found as most recent pictures. But as a downside you fill up your rather expensive iPhone memory space and produce unnecessary duplicates just because the new framework or a new programmer can't give you a standard picture selection dialogue and can't handle "high-res" pictures from an iPhone 6s.

Another point that makes it less fun to contribute cool pictures as freebies to the Niantic Real World AR platform (beside their secret changes in the acceptance policy and ).

But who cares for cool pictures when you can buy a toast your agent's avatar?

Post edited by Nelkon on