Percentage of votes needed to mark something as a "duplicate"

https://us.v-cdn.net/6031689/uploads/186/QIDLJY30X7TY.jpg There was an error displaying this embed. https://us.v-cdn.net/6031689/uploads/117/8MKUJJ5PPJNJ.jpg There was an error displaying this embed.

So, today I received a mail saying that my portal submission of a large, quite unique fountain was rejected because it was a duplicate of another portal. Some key browsing revealed that indeed, its picture was added to another portal - another fountain some 70 meters from the rejected submission's location.

I find it seriously hard to believe that anyone non-toxic and non-abusive and with at least one fairly functional eye could have confused the two, particularly because both are visible on google walk and on satellite view as separate, they look NOTHING alike (as visible from the photos) and the supporting photo made its location impossible to confuse. That would indicate a targeted "group effort" was done to mark it as such, for whatever reason (likely an unsubstantiated fear of an additional work portal for someone). Now, the rejection itself is irrelevant, it's an easy resubmit - and as a 100%, obviously legitimate portal, it should pass at some point. But this whole thing got me thinking (oh dear).

It's highly unlikely that the majority of voters from both sides would somehow be "a part of the scheme" . I'm also sure that the algorithm doesn't limit itself to 100% - probably nothing would ever be marked as a duplicate in that case, but what would it be? 50%+1? Something else? Does the duplicate-finding algorithm also require votes from both sides? What do you think?

Comments

• Had the same. My submisdion was merged as duplicate with a sign some few hundered meters away, where the portal it was merged with doesn't even look like the portal i've submitted.

• It could be so simple that the reviewer see these two as part of one "complex" (I don't see the support pic or google maps) . Ayyway, personally I dont mind submission statements including "this is a different from wayspot X" - at best it makes my job easier.

• ZloPsetoZloPseto ✭✭
    edited November 2019

Not a chance. There is a street and an office building between the two. There is no visual similarity between the two apart from being the same class of objects / portals. Didn't write that in the statement because it's very much obvious the two are not the same thing if you look at anything apart from the name (submission photo, backing photo, map, google walk). And it's not as if the names were identical. There could not have been any confusion. It's pure abuse. Directed abuse or laziness - doesn't really matter.

• There is a difference between "abuse" and "difference in opinion". Your "customer" didn't "buy" your "product". What can you do to increase your chances?

• ZloPsetoZloPseto ✭✭
    edited November 2019

Indeed there is, and group-faking duplicates that cannot be confused by anyone paying the least bit of attention to what they are doing has nothing to do about "difference in opinion" and everything about "abuse".

I will indeed provide an even more detailed description than before and hope for the best. :)

That's not the point of the thread though which is basically the rough percentages needed to mark something as duplicate + are votes from both factions needed for something to be marked as duplicate. Also, just to add, how do PoGo lvl40 players count towards that.