Wayfarer rating dropped

13»

Comments

• I would suggest that you're the one extrapolating by saying you're not even sure we have museums in Australia. Perhaps you should consider whether or not you're the one in a bubble. Plenty of larger and smaller regional towns have museums. You are definitely right though, the internet is a great tool for research. See for example:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_museums_in_Australia

I find it interesting you'd mention the *child* with a pony in a bubble.. it's equally interesting don't you think to not understand the existence of culture and history as an *adult*. You've not visited one? Well maybe it might be interesting if you go outside your own bubble and see before jumping to conclusions.

As for shopping centres. Surely if the centre is any good there will be POI or art inside. I'm not going to rate the generic centre which typically has a woolies, or a Coles and some random shops inside. The complex itself is a generic business model usually owned by some property developer.

• McReesingtonMcReesington ✭✭
    edited November 2019

I never said there weren't museums in Australia. I said I'm not aware of any.

I'm aware that some people like museums, that's why they exist. It's some people here who act scandalized to consider that others don't which is the issue, and seem intent on reviewing only for their lifestyle and preferences and denying others even when the criteria doesn't say to.

As for shopping centres. Surely if the centre is any good there will be POI or art inside.

A shopping centre itself is a POI, its a meeting spot, safe, named, permanent, shaded, etc. Just like parks and cafes. "Surely is the centre is any good" - you've still missed the point of the story about the girl boasting about the pony.

I'm not going to rate the generic centre

And I think you're reviewing wrong and should read the guidelines. This thread is people asking why their Wayfarer rating is dropping, I'm trying to explain, but that takes you lot first considering that you might be wrong, and that your subjective preferences are not the rules or what's suited to others who have different lives and experiences to you.

• harkonnnenharkonnnen ✭✭✭✭

Is it just me (I am an elitist etc etc If you havnt heard lolz) but it seems like most of the time it's people that have been doing reviews for 5 minutes that think they know best and are far superior reviewers and all that ****.

Now the Main entrance to a shopping centre (which is usually something that stands out for obvious reasons) I would vote yes on, after that well it has to actually be something that if you said "oh I was at the mall, your know the one with the something" that people that had also been there would know what place I was talking about.

I'm sorry McRee but just because you want a POI somewhere, and just because it would be handy or fun foe it to be there doesn't translate into there is one there nore that you should accept something inferior just cause.

• McReesingtonMcReesington ✭✭
    edited November 2019

Now the Main entrance to a shopping centre (which is usually something that stands out for obvious reasons) I would vote yes on

Which is all I ever said. And once again you're in a thread lecturing me on something never said, like it's some hobby for you.

• RobiQuRobiQu ✭✭✭

Public parks

Public parks are great, high-quality places for Portals: they are common all around the world and encourage players to walk, exercise and enjoy public spaces. However, park benches, picnic tables, or other common features might not meet criteria unless there is something significant about them.

100% I would, because a coffee shops is the definition of generic business (Unless say it's a unique themed place) in which case on would put the effort into selling it as such and communicate that to the reviewers

My issue was how you made a snarky comment

I've only done that with other locals when younger and bored and following the apparent script for consumerist life laid out for us in tv ads etc.

How isn't going to the mall 10x that particular as an Aussie.

What do park signs have to so with shopping centres and generic businesses?

"Niantic has confirmed that places like cafes etc are fine. If the sign for the cafe was submitted, you'd reject it as an advertisement?"

No they havnt, in every answer to a question the answer has been unless the business has something that makes it stand out and be unique than it's going to fall under the generic business category

• RobiQuRobiQu ✭✭✭

Generic local business locations

Generic local businesses don’t meet criteria on their own without having historical/cultural value, community significance, or distinctive architecture.

That's what forums are for, helping to educate.

But you ignore the standout part, the simple name isn't enough it has to have some Shazam where I suspect you feel and would approve any and every entrance to every mall everywhere

Most people would expect rationally that the experience person would be right at Least more often than the trainee

There is no proper forum for pogo reviewers, they have have had access for a month, they have only the most basic of knowledge and training. Not there fault it's something Niantic needs to work on. But when all that's taken into account for you to act like it's somehow Ingress Agents reviewing incorrectly and thats why people have had issues with ratings is both irrational and insulting.

Oh and for the record

• Hey guys enjoy your Wayfarer rating drops and inventing things not said to lecture people. It seems this is your nature and at this point I actively don't want to help you. I'm going back to reviewing. It's a shame you're going to keep driving people away from Niantic products by continuing to be as difficult and obnoxious as possible in every capacity. At least it seems they're removing your reviews actually counting.

• RobiQuRobiQu ✭✭✭
  • I suppose it depends on definition of "shopping centre"

I usually allow a towns major mall in as a portal because it is a major transit hub + community gathering place

I would never allow so called "box-stores" (the Costcos, the Walmarts etc) in even though they sound similar there is no focal pedestrian gathering point (eg a mall usually has water features, food courts, art installations, signage etc)

• KliffingtonKliffington ✭✭✭✭✭

I feel like once you know who was removed the mods went back to not monitoring the boards again...

• KliffingtonKliffington ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, this thread is more hostile in a short period then the thousands of exchanges we had with him. And yet no moderator intervention.

• Not familiar with that one. But Fake Park Dude went to a lot of effort to falsify evidence that a park existed where there wasn't one, all so he could have a couch portal/Poke-Thingy/HPWU-Thingy.

• I suspect many people here take Niantic's guidelines very seriously not to be jerks or curmudgeonly or to deny others "fun", but because they care about the integrity of the PoI database as they want a playing board that is interesting, and hence fun.

Exactly. @Ochemist gets it.

• TheFarixTheFarix ✭✭✭✭✭

[In] the United States at least, indoor malls (not **** mall, big box store malls, etc.) are often true community gathering places in many areas and are culturally significant. Kids hang out in them. Groups go walking in them. Etc. And as such, signs for that kind of place should be OK.

While this was true in the 80s and early 90s, this is no longer true and is why I would reject a general mall nomination. In fact, many malls are failing financially because they are no longer the community gather spots they once were. That doesn't rule out things inside the mall as eligible, but the mall itself is ineligible.

• OchemistOchemist ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019

There are malls near me where this remains absolutely 100% true. Go there on a Friday night and they are packed with people hanging out. It is probably very much a regional thing, so generalizations are dangerous. That said, Niantic has said that malls as entities are not eligible and as I said, while I disagree strongly, I will certainly abide by that position for all of the reason outlined in my post.

• The criteria doesn't specify almost anything. 

This is the falsehood that bad reviewers live by.

----------------------------------------

ACCEPTANCE CRITERIA

High-quality Portal candidates are those that help Agents discover and enjoy their community, such as:.

• A LOCATION WITH A COOL STORY, A PLACE IN HISTORY OR EDUCATIONAL VALUE
      • Interesting story behind the location/object
      • Historical significance (apart from just being old)
    • A COOL PIECE OF ART OR UNIQUE ARCHITECTURE
      • Statues, paintings, mosaics, light installations, etc.
      • Venues that showcase fine art (e.g., performance art theaters and museums)
      • Buildings designed by renowned architects/structures famous specifically for their architecture
    • A HIDDEN GEM OR HYPER-LOCAL SPOT
      • A popular local spot that you would take a friend visiting your community for the first time
      • A popular spot where locals gather, but may be lesser-known outside the community
      • Tourist spots that showcase local flavor and culture and that make your city/neighborhood unique
      • More off-the-beaten-path tourist attractions (i.e., if you weren’t a local, you wouldn’t necessarily know to go here)
      • Adventurous tourist attractions - think lookout towers, observatories, signs or markers atop mountain peaks, etc.

In addition to using the above acceptance criteria, we often add candidates that are a special nod to industries and networks that connect people around the world, just as Ingress connects Agents around the world. These include:

• PUBLIC LIBRARIES
      • A nod to education and discovery, cornerstones of Niantic & Ingress
      • Includes little free libraries, provided they are not on private residential property; does not include mobile libraries
    • PUBLIC PLACES OF WORSHIP
      • A nod to the other worldly, which is integral to the story of Ingress

Taking a clear, bright photo for your submission that shows the subject and its surroundings helps us more easily determine if the candidate meets our acceptance criteria and confirm it is physically located in the suggested location.

However, candidates do not necessarily have to be visually impressive to meet our acceptance criteria.

Similarly, while descriptions are not required, they are highly encouraged, and they often provide context and help us more clearly understand how your candidate meets the acceptance criteria.

https://niantic.helpshift.com/a/ingress/?p=web&l=en&s=portal-network&f=ingress-portal-criteria

------------------------------------------

There are a TON of criteria defining what IS a portal. And by ignoring that, you fail the purpose of allowing outside reviewers in crowd. If a portal does not meet ANY of the above list of criteria, it doesn't need to be in the "DO NOT SUBMIT" list to be excluded. Because it is not a portal-worthy subject.

The sooner people stop repeating your lie, the sooner we'll be able to get back to reasonable submissions.

• Damn man Museums are everywhere, even the smallest towns have some form of museum or historical area.

• Yeah. It may be part of another establishment (just as an example, my own hometown has a 'historical archive' - with various artifacts and documents related to the town's original founding and subsequent relocation - in the basement of its library), but it's there.

• ninthnomadninthnomad ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019

Tbh I'm kinda gobsmacked that old m*te's never seen an Aussie museum, pretty well every primary or secondary school student will go on some sort of excursion to their state's capital city for a cultural trip at some point...