Wayfarer Review Test

Hi folks,

Took the Wayfarer Review Test this morning & didn't pass. Not sure if it was because it froze & i couldn't exit the satellite close up screen & had to back button it to the beginning - or - got too many wrong?

Any advice? Next time I am screen shotting them to ask for feedback. From what I can recollect here were my answers.

Yes to mural tagged on the sidewalk in front of the mural.

3 for the Park Trail sign which could be in the woods.

Yes to the whale decorated bus stop.

Yes to the man-made stone structure in the field within a circular stone structure which looked like a relic of some sort.

No to the non-descript swingset with no signage.

No the the statue which was at a crosswalk but the location tagged next to it was in the street turnaround with no pedestrian safety.

No to the building tagged more than a few feet away from the picnic bench gathering area in the photo.

Yes to the sculpture as it was not a natural feature.

No to the chess table & chairs as it was not visually interesting.

& I can't remember one.

Comments

• gryffysnickgryffysnick ✭✭
    edited November 2019

@harkonnnen that's not what I said. I said screenshot to ask for feedback afterward, not during the test. There is no need to be snarky about this. How about if I responded to you: "Perhaps you need to work on your reading comprehension?"

edited November 2019

Here's an example, during the test the only screenshot I took was of this picture because I couldn't really see what the hec it was. Was it naturally occurring? Was it man-made? I approved this wayspot based on the fact that it appeared man-made in an open green space. So had I taken a screen shot of each question I could ask for feedback after the test. Never thought to do so because, yes, it seems like it should be a pretty straightforward, simple test, yeah. Had I an inclination that I would fail the test I would have taken screenshots to ask why - after the fact, not during. @harkonnnen

• You can't take it again for 30 days. I don't you'll get the answers to the test on this forum.

However, I will warn you that the speed of responses will slow down significantly after the newness wears off. So, concentrate on nominations and coordinate as best as you can with the nearby pogo players. Also, fix any spelling mistakes with the Ingress account. They can't do that in pogo. Edits are actually being processed now.

• It's a very easy test. I wouldn't really be asking for feed back here buddy. if you failed you failed I dont think anyone will give you the answers to pass.

Watch the video read what's expected and rejected and I'm sure next time you will be golden.

• Any advice?

@gryffysnick yes, carefully read the "what makes a good Wayspot" criteria and take this criteria into careful consideration when rating the test. take your time. that's the only advice you need. if you can't pass the test, then you haven't followed the criteria.

• TheFarixTheFarix ✭✭✭✭✭

Simple advice is to not overthink things. The questions are extremely easy and the answers are obvious. But don't mark down a 5 or 1 without reading the rationals for each answer choice. Most of my questions had to do with correct location and safe pedestrian access.

edited November 2019

Cool. Thx for feedback!

@sophielab I'm not looking for the answers on this forum. I just wish I had taken screenshots so I could ask for feedback on what others would have responded. For instance, the picture of the statue in the crosswalk had the waypoint on the roadway behind the statute which would have been dangerous. There was a crosswalk but there was also the roadway to consider. The answer could be either but I erred on the side of safety. Maybe that was right. Maybe that was wrong. Have no idea? But would have loved to get others opinions as to how they would have answered if they could see the picture. Cool advice re: working on new nominations. I have so many missions in mind to create but first have to get certain waypoints approved.

edited November 2019

@Dazzz12345 not looking for test answers. Would like to ask other people's opinions as to how they would have answered to try to figure out what was wrong with my answer. Yes, I read everything carefully. Will look for the video you mention. And I agree, it seemed like an easy test to me too. But obviously I did something wrong, unless hitting the back button to get out of my frozen screen messed something up? Will see what happens in 30 days when I take it again. Next time I am recording my responses so I can ask for feedback afterward if it doesn't go well. Thanks for the feedback!

• Thx @StallionMang seems simple enough. Yes, I read the criteria, took my time, carefully answered each question but didn't pass. That's why I wish I could ask others how they would have answered because, yes, I was careful. I find it rather amusing and am going to have fun with this in my social circles. I can pass the bar exam first try but not pass a 10 question waypoint test. ;-) This is why I'd love to see how others would have answered, ya know? I guess I'm an "anomaly" as yes, I did follow the criteria but couldn't pass the test.

• @TheFarix Oh how I wish I had the pictures with my responses =) thx for the great advice!

• harkonnnenharkonnnen ✭✭✭✭

I don't feel I was snarky just rational. IF (Unless it was caused by some other error) you can't pass what is essentially 10 multiple choice questions on Wayfarer submissions than you probably wouldn't be the best person to review.

As for your comment on screen grabbing the questions it is reasonable to assume you meant so you could ask while doing the test since if you fail again then your locked out of Wayfarer. So they would be pointless and few if any will take sympathy for anyone that fails this test twice.

In Wayfarer you have 6 things you rate portals on. When asked would this make a good POI? You need to look at the possible answer in the test as they usually only focus on 1 aspect. E.g. if the POI is a statue, has pedestrian access etc then yes it would be a good POI. If the marker is misplaced its likely irrelevant for that question unless one of the options is Yes but marker is in incorrect location.

• honestly, I can easily understand why you failed after reading just some of those answers you provided. The test is pretty easy and most of the answers are self explanatory in their description. If those are the answers you're giving, you're doing a disservice to the players.

No to the chess table & chairs as it was not visually interesting.

No to the non-descript swingset with no signage.

Those are just the main two I can tell you that you got wrong, and there are others I can guess at but without seeing the accompanying pictures I can't be certain.

• Honestly, I'm of two minds on the swingset one.

I mean, if the test only showed you a picture of a swingset with no supporting information as to whether it was - for example - part of a public park's playground equipment, I'd be tempted to reject it too.

Not just because it's a fairly generic piece of play equipment, but without any supporting information it could just as easily be in someone's back yard - and that would disqualify it due to being on the grounds of a private residence.

• So yes you are looking for the answers. We have passed and you need feedback to try and figure out what you did wrong. That's asking for answers. As I say read the text watch the video.

• I think they purposefully did it that way to show that even a crapy looking swing set is still an acceptable candidate because it fits into the category of promotes exercise, which is the point they are trying to address to voters, despite all the negative comments about playgrounds. And while your point on location is valid, that wasn't the purpose of the test, which is why they only offered you the two options, yes it is acceptable or not it's not.

If this were a real nomination, then yeah, would have to make sure it's not in someone's backyard. I've already seen a few of those, entire play structures that people are trying to promote as a park playground, but are smack dab in their private backyard.

As it is, this also shows a major flaw in Niantic's thinking for this test, because while the swing set qualifies as being a portal (stop) the fact that it's ugly would get it a low quality photo rating or a 1* on visual from most people, which would disqualify it from being accepted.

• Thanks for the feedback. Appreciate it. Based on my experience with noms in real life, if I submitted pictures like the swingset or the chess table, they would not be accepted.

Just wondering, are there checks & balances in the review process? Are nominations reviewed by one person or a multitude? For instance, one of my noms was denied for having a body part in it & it really does not. How does that happen?

• TheismanTheisman ✭✭✭✭✭

Submissions are reviewed by multiple people, last I heard the best guestimate was between 20-35 people, based on the number of increased views on peoples photospheres for remote location subs.

• @Theisman so would 20+ people have to say it had a body part in it or just 1 for it to be listed as a reason for denial. Here's the photo

• Quite possibly just one. Let’s say most people said 1*; doesn’t meet criteria, others gave it 2*, and a single person threw in a goofy “1*; body part” rejection. In that case it would be rejected and reasons given would be: doesn’t meet criteria and body part.

• @Ochemist thanks, that's interesting. So once you are approved to review, it does not matter how truthful you are in your reviews. There no cross-check like a request for other reviewers to confirm each other's assessments?

• TheismanTheisman ✭✭✭✭✭

Honestly we dont know how much they cross check or not. They have confirmed that for something to be accepted or rejected that it needs a consensus but apart from that they haven't gone into the metrics of it and have been intentionally vague, to ensure that no one knows how to "game the system"

The only way to see how a reviewer is doing compared to other reviewers is by seeing if they are in red, yellow or green.

However there is lots of speculation about how that currently works, or if it is broken, as some people ratings are bouncing up and down like a yo-yo.

Current speculation for how the email rejection reasons work is that its done on some kind of tally system, the top two or three rejection reasons with the most number of choices for that particular sub are then added to the rejection email.

• >Current speculation for how the email rejection reasons work is that its done on some kind of tally system, the top two or three rejection reasons with the most number of choices for that particular sub are then added to the rejection email.

Yes, this is a more articulate version of what I was getting at. Under this theory, it could in many cases explain the total off-the-wall rejection reasons because only one reviewer would need to use them.

BTW, Theisman, I see you’re out of jail!

• TheismanTheisman ✭✭✭✭✭

@Ochemist yep, free from the big house, escaped from chokey, finally allowed to pass go and collect £200

🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳

• RostwoldRostwold ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting. My guess is that the number varies depending on how much the initial reviewers disagree. If the first 10 (or so) all say yes, or all say no for the same reason, then it that's enough. If it's a 4/6, 5/5 or 6/4 split then it goes back into the queue for to another 10 (or so) reviews to see if a consensus emerges, and this is repeated until one does emerge. This might also explain the 'limbo' submission problem, the number of votes needed to swing a few percent increases each time it goes round the loop, a well balanced one could run out of local reviewers without a consensus ever emerging.

• TheismanTheisman ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019

Could see how that could be the case and cause certain areas to be "locked in limbo" so to speak.

Does make me wonder about how much weighting they would give to an out of area or game reviewer(s).

Say you have a POI subbed by an Ingress player of one faction, after going through x amount of "local" reviewers its then shown to two players of opposite sides to have a larger weighted review on it. As its not from their area then neither player (in theory at least) has invested interest in it being approved or not and so their reviews carry more weight.

That theory could also be applied to a local PoGo reviewer as well.

A PoGo reviewer (theoretically) wouldn't care what Ingress side submitted a POI, so should only view it on if its a good candidate or not, so would that add extra weight to their review.

Thats all a personal idea with absolutely no evidence to back it up, food for thought so to speak

• Follow this advice. You're definitely overthinking it. You need to focus on what the question is asking. Don't go beyond that scope and consider other things because the test is not that complex.

• @SerMochi thanks, good advice! ♡ Will wipe my mind clear of what I have been experiencing in reality with wayspot nominations and stick with what the test says is supposed to happen. =)

• harkonnnenharkonnnen ✭✭✭✭

Think of it like your drivers test, just beacuse you see people driving like fools you would still drive property during your test regardless of what you see daily and appears almost acceptable behavior