An unending tide of tennis courts and trail markers

I've become exhausted by the endless tidal-wave of decent-but-not-great submissions. The vast majority of the things I'm reviewing right now fall into a few categories:

• Athletic fields - baseball fields, soccer pitches
  • Trail markers - informational kiosks and trail signs
  • Gazebos et al. (some pretty, some..bare-bones)

All three are, generally speaking, acceptable submissions - but I'm just so tired of them! The occasional mural or sculpture is a gasp of fresh air in a roiling haze of wayspot submissions, every single one of which is reassuring me that this is the best place for gathering and getting exercise.

Heck, I wouldn't mind seeing some more coal! Give me the insane submissions - the pictures of Coke bottles on someone's table, or the trash bins on their front lawn!

Has anyone else been experiencing this?

Comments

• All perfectly acceptable nominations.

I try to mix up my submissions with murals churches etc with the odd marker in.

You can always sub my nominations @chemicalcrux 😆

• That's the rub! They're acceptable submissions - I give them 3-4 stars, depending on historical merit and visual uniqueness. It's just that the darn things just keep cropping up like weeds.

I swear, if I see one more "great place for gathering" explanation...

• Haha seems every area in every country has similar things here it play areas. Very unique. Apparently all approvable but a bit of verification helps few months ago was postboxs ?

• grendelwulfgrendelwulf ✭✭✭✭✭

That's because historically they were never acceptable submissions until now so now. No one ever submitted the, but now the floodgates are open on all of them.

• chemicalcruxchemicalcrux ✭✭
    edited November 2019

This comment looks suspiciously like a generic business to me

• KliffingtonKliffington ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019

It was nothing but playgrounds before. I welcome our trail marker overlords.

• Everything is working as planned. Remember that there are no more portals? They are wayspots now. Niantic need lot of game spots for PoGo and HP in all areas. Post offices/transports hubs were not enough, so a floodgate was forced open for more types of candidates which does not fit classic Ingress story (where portal is detected because XM-affected peoples did something creative in this place) but can significantly increase density of game spots. For example, I have playgrounds and small soccer/basketball fields everywhere in the city, on every street, near each building, 200-300m away from each other. PoGo players will indeed be happy. So stop complaining and do some free work for Niantic before you finally quit dying classic Ingress.

• I ended my near 2 month hiatus of making nominations by getting a historic building accepted. It made a pokestop so I guess it's ok but I only captured the portal. I forgot to spin that pokestop. I'm naughty like that.

• TheFarixTheFarix ✭✭✭✭✭

Here, it is churches, churches, churches interrupted by the occupational trail marker or picnic shelter/pavilion. As for why they were not accepted earlier are for mutple reasons. First, it was because no one really knew about Ingress until after Pokemon Go launched. Second, there were a group of self appointed "gatekeepers" who tried to keep certain areas devoid of portals for strategical reasons. More portals in an area meant there was a higher chance of interference from "casual" players.

• harkonnnenharkonnnen ✭✭✭✭

Cry me a river lol, since day 1 of reivewing ive had a never ending stream of painted power pole. All technically acceptable but omg sooo sick of them.

How many sportsfields did you hack or capture before 2018? In my area, the sign at the front of the sports complex was the only portal. Sometimes there was a playground or pavilion inside with a portal.

• The accidentally release day where level 40 pogo players, had people reviewing who were just going off what they've seen previously. Someone on discord was denying sports fields because they were boring and they hadn't seen them as pokestops. So, I'm expecting weird denials.

I did research some historic stuff and submit it over the weekend. I too was getting bored of the endless wave.

• AgentB0ssAgentB0ss ✭✭✭✭✭

That sounds like my area.... church after church after wait another church! Guess thats what happens when I live in the bible belt...

I see playgrounds, churches, and sports fields.

• GearGliderGearGlider ✭✭✭✭✭

TBH I'm jealous of people getting constant churches, playgrounds, trailmarkers, etc to review. All easy agreements.

Over here I'm trying to figure out every other portal if this "historic home" is occupied or if the restaurant really is a hidden gem or not.

• To anyone with half a brain it was obvious that sports fields were a community gathering place, but those submissions were denied so many times that Niantic had no choice but to clearly spell it out. (I submitted a few in 2017 before the clarification, with mixed results -- quite a few denials.)

Many reviewers defalt to rejecting something unless Niantic explicitly gives it their official stamp of approval. The same happens today.

• I can't submit close to 80% of the historic buildings listed on the national historic registry in my town because single family residence. No massive fires during colonial times left a bunch of historic buildings whether registered or not.

I have a 50-50 blend to review of stupid easy stuff and the it requires additional web searches.

• TheFarixTheFarix ✭✭✭✭✭

PS. YES Niantic also wants our pubs, restaurants, and weirdly unique logos and signs.

Unfortuantly, people will still reject those as "generic business" regardless of how well you craft the description. It's as if they only see the picutre and title and boom, 1-star without any further consideration.

• 0X00FF000X00FF00 ✭✭✭✭✭

If we were submitting the non-historic clothes shops, supermarkets, corner store, hardware store, etc, then they're generally correct to reject.

• TheFarixTheFarix ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019

But I've been submitting a Japanese Hibachi restaurant (only two others in the entire region of the state), a restaurant modeled on a 1920s stye speakeasy located in a register historic hardware store, and four other buildings (one of which was the only Jewish owned business in the region and another designed by an Alex B. Mahood) that are registered on the National Register of Historic Places. All were rejected as "generic businesses".

• 0X00FF000X00FF00 ✭✭✭✭✭

And I've been submitting murals and such, those keep getting flagged as "generic business". Sorry reviewers, you've failed basic English: a piece of artwork is not itself a business.

At least when I'm submitting a generic <sports> court I can have me a little bit of fun adding in a <sports>-related pun to the title to make it more unique. Alas with the Pokemonsters submission flood, it's now taking 5-8 times as long for submissions to clear AND they're putting in the not-yet-punned fields I hadn't gotten to yet myself.

• Preach on.

Spot on analysis of the old ingress guard let's hope the pogo ones are not as lazy.

• AgentB0ssAgentB0ss ✭✭✭✭✭

As a PoGo player I believe we need a middle ground. I believe some old school ingress players are too strict, while likely new PoGo players will be too lenient. There needs to be a better middle ground than far in either direction. I guess that makes me a Liberal reviewer lol.

• Nothing wrong with that **** a happy medium is definitely needed.

That's not to say I wont retry some of my questionable submissions when pogo players start to review and chance my arm. Lol

Not that they shouldn't be a portal etc but the old guard have let things in previously and all of a sudden with non AMA they stopped.

Had 8 very unique murals get approved the 9th will not budge. I have had every rejection from wrong place to school to generic business. All wrong but they are very very cool murals and commissioned to be done by someone famous. Soooooo. Come on pogo reviewers dont let me down

• Nothing wrong with that **** a happy medium is definitely needed.

That's not to say I wont retry some of my questionable submissions when pogo players start to review to chance my arm. Lol

Not that they shouldn't be a portal etc but the old guard have let things in previously and all of a sudden with non AMA they stopped.

Had 8 very unique murals get approved the 9th will not budge. I have had every rejection from wrong place to school to generic business. All wrong but they are very very cool murals and commissioned to be done by someone famous. Soooooo. Come on pogo reviewers dont let me down

• Most will do nothing but submit. Believing it is or better yet should reviewed by employees even if the e-mail tells them otherwise.

What I was saying is that in the era of Seer, back when it was Niantic approving or rejecting portals there are virtually no municipal baseball or soccer fields that were accepted as portals. These weren't things players were encouraged to submit at that time. Otherwise the people all going for the medal would have submitted ALL of them.