Wayfarer Trolling?

One of my friends likes to submit portals/POIs, but recently ran afoul of an absolute toolbag of a player in his town. He has noticed several of his submissions (easy 4 or 5 star ones like informational signs) being denied, only to find them later in Wayfarer, submitted by this other guy. In one case, the main picture and the supporting photo were exactly the same ones my friend used - like they saved them and reuploaded them remotely.

My friend seems to think this other player is colluding with players in the area (and their multiple accounts) to do this. Once would be a coincidence, but we're at five or so by now.

Could this be considered harassment?

Comments

• He saved your friend's photos and reuploaded them as his own submission?

That's an incredible type of special and also lazy. I don't know if I would say it is harassment - it is possible this person just really respects your friend and his ability to take pictures, and also really wants a portal/Pokestop there.

It is hard to say, as there are a lot of jerks in this game.

• Whether or not it is harassment (I think it is), it is an abuse of the system and should definitely be reported as abuse.

• Couldn't Nia put an automatic comparison of photos submitted in place? Lets say compare photos taken within 40 metres of a given spot. Should help to discover abuse like this, and perhaps prevent duplicates...

• TheFarixTheFarix ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019

If your nomination failed, why would theirs be a success? What exactly was wrong with your nomination to cause it to fail if it was an easy 4 or 5 star?

• KliffingtonKliffington ✭✭✭✭✭

The players in the area aren't the only ones reviewing your areas submissions, it's not unheard of but it's really difficult to stack the deck like that unless it's a very large number of players And yes sometimes you have to keep resubmitting good candidates to get them through but sometimes you just submit the same stuff as other people, it happens.

• Not saying they would automatically be a success. But to your second point, nothing made my friend's submissions fail besides likely collusion.

What would make theirs a success is the people voting 1 or 2 stars for someone else changing it up and voting 4 or 5 stars for their boy.

• Many players around here use multiple accounts as well.

And as previously stated, once or twice would be a coincidence, but we're at five or so times.

They review and manage to get local submissions that often? On multiple accounts? That's a lot of work. I and about 5 other people regularly submit and review and don't always get stuff from our area. I'd say it is more likely to be a coincidence.

• I tend to get a fair amount of submissions from my area, but it wasn't always like that. Like, maybe a month ago, it'd be 15% stuff from my S2 cell, 25% adjacent cells, and 60% Texas/Mexico/Random Uninhabited Places. Now, it's probably 40/40/20.

As unlikely as it seems to be able to get multiple accounts to rate the same local portals, we had some agents in an adjacent cell "collude" to get some portals pushed through OPR to be used as BAF anchors. They were dubious to begin with, and were eventually removed, but the point remains that it is possible to get anything forced through or denied if you're dedicated enough.

To SixtenT's point, there are definitely lots of jerks that play, and is it possible that agents in this person's area are banding together to troll this person through Wayfarer to get them to quit submitting/playing? Or to assert some kind of superiority that "only I may submit things here"? After the above form of collusion, anything is possible.

There's no petty like Ingress petty.

Like I said it's possible but feels unlikely. At the end of the day this is a game and the submission went through so keep doing what you're doing and ignore them.