Ingress Animation

AkceptorUAAkceptorUA ✭✭✭✭

Watched that movie recently and I'm confused a bit. The setting is about Ingress but the story is completely strange... Do you like it?

Tagged:

Comments

• It’s rubbish.

• IshiraIshira ✭✭✭✭✭

Absolutely love it but I'm biased cause I'm a storyline nut and a lover of glyphs.

• AkceptorUAAkceptorUA ✭✭✭✭

I'm biased as well.

I was expecting to see epic ENLvsRES conflict details but got it was something strange like common enemy (third faction?)

• I personally think Niantic were/are* doing a "rebrand", completely missing out on the fact that anime appeals to a certain subsect of their playerbase*. "Cyberpunk" in the shortform means subcultures grow and die overnight, and Ingress IMO is a cyberpunk game. I was born in '77, and love Star Wars for example (the original was made on that year, and I think Neuromancer was released on the same). I absolutely do not understand the appeal of the Clone Wars animation, but I do understand why people younger than me do. That said, the Dunraven Sequence ended up in the lamest sequence of dated "reality TV" I've ever literally vomited to.

Ingress the Animation seems to have no convincing connection to Ingress itself, unless comparing Totoro to Akira is convincing thematically. HOWEVER Niantic are appealing to a younger generation than mine in a "vital" or economic stance. This places them far ahead in "the game", and is rare in corporate strategy.

• Sorry: self reply. Judge Dredd and SW was the same year, not Neuromancer. Say no more.

• VasatiVasati ✭✭✭

Well, the animation itself is something else... it's enough of an animated style that it was pleasant to watch. There was little story at first, until there was a tiny bit more explained about the Sensitives. The rare humans who could directly interact with XM, the special heroes and crazies of the story.

The art and animation, as I've already said, was enough to keep me enchanted. The music at the start was weird at first, but then I came to like it and found out the meaning behind the title of the song and also found out more about the artist.

The characters were rather bland, tbph. The boy, whatever his name was as I've forgotten, looked like that guy from My Hero Academia, Deku I think. Was it Mikoto? Jack was alright, seeming like the full-blooded American agent serving on his mission. Plus he was on my side, so bonus. Sarah was... eah. Princess locked in the castle, then the magical macguffin heroine. The outright evil ****, whatever the hell his name was, was just so cliche and the professor who discovered what dark XM can do, Brant I think, was also cliche in his own right.

It was also a little odd that all we saw for the AIs was ADA. Aside from the literal tribe of Enl agents, there were so few mentions of JARVIS that it was like the story wanted us to forget he exists. Now, granted, I liked what they did with ADA at the end. It was a nice little twist. But then it just ended, like falling off a cliff. I wanted more.

It was cool. I was annoyed that there were no signs of passcodes for players to grab, as far as I know. If there is a sequel, I hope it has more story and/or more connection to the players.

• I came back to Playing ingress because of the anime. I was around at ingress year three and I can Tell the anime is awesome and total ingress story Related with pictures of Old events!

• I liked it as an anime.... Hadn't really ever looked into the story much before.... probably won't in the future either.

• ArtilectZedArtilectZed ✭✭✭✭✭

After seeing people chase each other around with guns in the first episode, I didn't bother watching more. There's been enough of a problem with players 'reminding' each other that they're carrying in my area, so to have it in the anime seems extremely stupid to me.

• SonicgottSonicgott ✭✭✭✭

The design of the movie is beautiful, and I’m kind of an animé nut, so that appealed to me.

The story is a tad convoluted, you really need to pay close attention to see the connections on what’s going on.

The Dark XM event was a threat to both the Resistance and Enlightened, so despite RES and ENL having different beliefs, their goals were the same at that moment.

That being said, I’d give it a 7/10. Action packed and beautifully designed with a somewhat complex storyline.

• CybertherionCybertherion ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019

@ArtilectZed that is terrible. I've had a piece or two pointed towards me as well. Unfortunately such things entertain people in high castles.

• CriminalBizzyCriminalBizzy ✭✭✭✭

Wait... Is the OP talking about a movie or the anime?

• AkceptorUAAkceptorUA ✭✭✭✭

Is there any movie? I know only the Ingress Animation which is Netflix anime

• I enjoyed it. The story was OK and it was interesting how they connected it to Ingress in spirit even if it really didn't represent gameplay. I watched it while I was visiting Japan so I had the added benefit of recognizing places and other details when the episodes were took place there.