Frenemies at farms.

SSSputnikSSSputnik ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2019 in General

After independent thoughts on this subject.

We have weekly pub farms, the location varies depending on weather, whatever.

There are a few people on the other team that we are friends with. (Like nice people, or friends whom have Recursed and decided to play for the other side to re balance gameplay etc).

I'm not against inviting these people to our farm events.

However a small but vocal group is basically screaming how this is wrong/they won't come if enemy players there etc etc.

I don't see the harm, they behave, are sociable and let's face it, if they want gear they can sit at another table/outside or whatever.

I always advise people if frenemies are coming.

Thoughts?

Do I tell these individuals that they are just being PITAs and to harden up and come along

Bow to the vocal minority and stop inviting frenemies?

Have a mix of xfac ones and non xfac.

Go hard, it's my event and I'll invite **** I want?

Comments

• Locally, our frack meets sound similar to yours insofar as they're smurf events or frog events, but members of the other faction are more than welcome to pop in for a pint and a chat. Furthermore, we do our best to ensure frack meets aren't smashed - this tends to help out the numerically weaker faction at any given point, and seeing as this situation changes regularly neither faction comes out as a consistent winner. Okay, so there are limits as to who'd end up welcome, and those with a lax attitude to the game rules (regardless of faction) can stay clear thank you very much, but other than that ... show up!

There's two reasons for this ...

Firstly, and most importantly, this is a social game. A pint and chat with the opposition is just good fun, especially after big ops. Doesn't matter who won or lost at that point, what matters is the shared experience of running across muddy fields and standing around in graveyards in the small hours.

Secondly ... you can't stop opponents from showing up, and the only way to stop opponents from blowing the portals up is to be reasonable about it all.

Having said all that ... it's something that's got to be treated with a degree of tact and common sense. Meets can often be the only chance players get to plan stuff face-to-face, and trying to deal with #opsec stuff with a smurf/frog over your shoulder is bloody hard going. Furthermore, the nature of individual rivalries in the game is such that it's not uncommon for there to be particular sets of agents that just don't mix - if someone spends their time playing against you personally in deliberately "trolly" way then, hey, I think it's quite reasonable to not want to have to share a table with them.

TL;DR - It's nice to be nice, but also, "it depends"

• SSSputnikSSSputnik ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds very similar to us. Thanks. Other opinions?

• Qu4rdQu4rd ✭✭✭

Nah man. I told this before in a group, and I stand by it since then. A farm is a farm is a farm.

Got someone said loudly "I won't dirty hack a farm" and I just shrugged when the same person flipped opposition's farm at a cluster.

Got someone said "hey, ask for XMPs and will give it to ya" and I can count how many times those same people helped.

Got someone personally and directly told me that I won't have a farm ever in my lifetime because a **** of my colour destroyed theirs, so I agreed and made sure he doesn't get his either....IF I am bothered to, that is.

---

You want to invite a smurf? Go ahead. Just don't whine when the same agent destroyed the farm because "someone told her so" and she is "just following orders".

You want to let the them farm off the clusters? Go ahead. XMPs does not come out in ENL or RES colour, and I don't think it should ever. It's not like the farm session is a secret anyway.

If I want to dirty hack anywhere, it's my problem. Not anyone else's. If I want to destroy, it's my issues, too. But I am not going to be that guy who showed up at opposition farm sessions, and destroyed it. It looks douchey af. It does not foster a good spirit for the game at all. It's fun, yes, but if you want to do it, by all means go ahead, too.

I have no issues. There are some try-hard who do that on both sides (destroying farms while in session), very vocal, too. I just clapped softly far away from them and wait.

• Qu4rdQu4rd ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019

-redacted-

Post edited by Qu4rd on
  • Qu4rdQu4rd ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019

-redacted since i can't delete it-

Post edited by Qu4rd on
  • Qu4rdQu4rd ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019

-redacted-

Post edited by Qu4rd on
  • Qu4rdQu4rd ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019

-redacted-

Post edited by Qu4rd on
  • Qu4rdQu4rd ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019

-redacted-

Post edited by Qu4rd on
  • Qu4rdQu4rd ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019

-redacted-

Post edited by Qu4rd on
  • Qu4rdQu4rd ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019

-redacted-

Post edited by Qu4rd on
  • Qu4rdQu4rd ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019

-redacted-

Post edited by Qu4rd on
  • Qu4rdQu4rd ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019

-redacted-

Post edited by Qu4rd on
  • Qu4rdQu4rd ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019

-redacted-

Post edited by Qu4rd on
  • On the surface, it sounds harmless. However, having the other team sitting next to you limits the conversation that can be had.

It’s happened more than once to me where a farm turned into “Hey, we can field the city tonight”. Stuff like that makes it kinda hard when the other team is listening in.

• SSSputnikSSSputnik ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks all.

• starwortstarwort ✭✭✭✭✭

Well probably you shouldn't be having farms at all, since Perringaiden says that glyphing and frackers have destroyed the social aspect of the game. ;-)

• edited November 2019

I used to come along to all the RES farms. I generally wasn't invited though :-p Sometimes food was good.

• If you happen to stumble upon a portal of the opposite faction, take it out. Always.

As a wise man once said, 'we will be greeted as liberators'.

• hmm... I'd honestly say I'd discourage coordination with the enemy team while building a portal farm. I won't get upset if someone did it, but I'd still discourage it.

On the one hand, if an agent has friends on the other team, then I'd say friends before game mechanics. It's a game. People have friends. Friends like to hang out with each other. Portal farming is time for friends to hang out with each other, regardless of who belongs to which team. So I'm not going to get angry if an agent lets their friends on the other side know when that agent is building a portal farm.

On the other hand, there are some times where coordinating with a member of the other team may get an agent banned, even if it's done with a "Frenemy." For instance, win trading, where an agent knocks down an opposing portal, then puts a low level reso on it only to allow a member of the other team knock that down and put their low level reso on it, and trade back and forth. From what I understand, this is illegal if both agents are coordinating with each other.

So, if something like that is illegal, then why should it be ok to let opposing faction members know when and where one's team is building a portal farm?

So, I'd say I'd discourage the practice.

If a friend of the opposing team just so happens to be in the vicinity of where an agent is setting up their portal farm, and that friend decides to hack all the portals on that farm and get good gear, then that's ok. That friend is going to get zapped and get reduced payouts. And, If an agent really, REALLY doesn't want enemy agents hacking their portal farm, then they can put a force amp and a turret on it.

But, an agent shouldn't let enemy agents know the location and time that that agent's team is setting up their portal farms. Instead, look at friends as rivals. Give them hints. Give them good advice. But, an agent shouldn't betray their team over it.

• facepalm

I thought it was. I guess I was wrong. Sorry about that. ):

• This. Very much this.

Yes, Ingress is a competitive game, but wipe the opposition out and it becomes insanely boring overnight (and also not competitive). We once found ourselves (for a variety of reasons) with just a single active opponent locally, and .... oh my goodness, it was so dull! We've only ever had one panic over the tactical situation locally, and the down-to-one-smurf-and-he-doesn't-drive period was it. In the end we ended up setting up some hackers near where he played for him to use .... didn't tell him about this, but he soon worked it out.