Gameplay Feedback - Suggest portal counter-attacks take an agent below 0 XM

I suggest that portal counter-attacks be buffed to take an agent into negative XM. This is because currently, I can use 0 XM to mitigate the defense and level of an opposing portal. Currently, if I get zapped and lose all my XM, then I use the lowest level power cube I have and continue attacking. If I get zapped again, then I haven't lost much XM because I can't go below 0 XM, and the low level power cube didn't have much XM anyway. So, I use another low level power cube and keep attacking.

To counter this strategy, I suggest portal's counter-attacks be allowed to reduce an agent's XM to below zero. This will make every counter-attack hurt for the full amount of XM damage.

Once an agent's XM has gone negative, then the scanner will be disabled until the agent gets their XM over 0. Negative XM would slowly recover to zero over time, so if an agent goes negative, then they can choose to not play the game for a while and their XM will eventually recover. The agent can speed up the recovery process by collecting XM on the map or by using power cubes if they wish.

If a cap is needed so that newer agents are "eased" into the game, then one could make it such that their XM cannot dip below the negative absolute value of their max XM. So, if a level 1 agent can hold only 3,000 XM, then a portal counter-attack can only drain the agent to -3,000 XM.

I believe this would make attacking heavily defended, high level portals much more scary, because an agent knows what will happen if that portal counter-attacks. I think that's how high level portals, turrets, and force amps were designed to function, and implementing this change would reduce the effectiveness of my "cheese" strategy.

Comments

• grendelwulfgrendelwulf ✭✭✭✭✭

Using the lowest power cubes first has always been a strategy for blowing up enemy farms.

• I'm pretty sure this is a feature, not a bug. Niantic tends to make attacking portals easier than defending portals.

• I understand. And, I have to admit, I love making the most of my low level gear, so I love doing this to high level enemy portals. But, it still feels like a cheese strat. That enemy portal is hitting me for 20% plus of my total xm, and I have below 5% to spare.

But, those experiences make me not want to waste precious portal slots with turrets and force amps. Even if I do put those on, two portal shields would be better at deterring would-be attackers, since my the portal's counter-attack is not going to be that useful anyway.

• LandelerenLandeleren ✭✭
    edited October 2019

I agree that this is a feature and a gameplay mechanic, but my question is: Should it be? Should an agent be able to mitigate force amps on a level 8 portal with a couple of level 1 energy cubes? Personally, I don't think so.

Post edited by Landeleren on