Nomination Penalties for Wayfarer Abuse
I know this has been addressed in the past, however, with Wayfarer being revealed to be opened to PoGo trainers before the end of the year, I think this needs to be addressed again.
There should be penalties when a player *submits* an extremely poor nomination (IE a lightpole, their pet dog, their house). These and others are things that I have personally stumbled upon myself. Not to mention all the poor nominations I’ve seen in group chats posted by other agents.
- Ingress agents (and soon trainers/wizards) put their valuable time and effort into reviewing and essentially creating our virtual world for three different virtual realities now. It is a waste of our time to go through dozens of abysmal candidates that are obviously created by someone who wants a couch Portal/Pokestop/Gym. Most of us don’t mind reviewing ‘iffy’ potential candidates because this is what Wayfarer is about. What I am referring to is obvious one star submissions that are abuse.
- Niantic can implement the Red, Yellow, Green (RYG) scale much like the one that Wayfarer already has, but for submitters. This RYG scale can be displayed in their ‘Nominations’ tab where it shows how many submissions they have left. Players who continually submit poor candidates can be penalized by losing the amount of submissions they have for their period (IE instead of 13, they get 5).
- Alternatively we can go the traditional route and have submitters receive a warning and temporary ban on submitting candidates for 30 days but this is too plain of a response.
Why it is more important now:
- I’m not here to talk down on any particular player base, because I know all player bases do this, however, I will say that *in my experience*, PoGo players have a pokestop fever. The amount of direct messages I receive from people when they find out I play Ingress is on epidemic levels because they all want something within reach of their house, job, school, neighborhoods. I can go on about this but we all know the stories about PoGo players joining Ingress and immediately messaging players with Pokestop requests.
- Do Ingress agents do this too? Again, *in my experience*, a lot less. I know tons and tons of +L10 agents who show low numbers on their stats when it comes to portal discoveries. They have the ability to discover portals, yet they lack the portal fever that PoGo players seem to have.
Some might say “If it bothers you that much, don’t go on Wayfarer.” Well, ignoring a problem doesn’t make it go away. It is evident that other agents feel this way as well and letting culprits get away with this won’t fix the issue. I also enjoy helping create the virtual worlds we play in and seeing a town get populated with POI’s brings me joy.