Thoughts on 2.31
Ingress version 2.31 included a huge number of changes, many of which I liked, and some of which could use some tweaking, so I thought I would share my thoughts here.
- Making a tap on a portal work even when a hack output dialog box is open is the single most useful change in this release. Provided I can see the next portal I want to visit, I can finally tap on it and expect that tap to work the first time.
- Removing the countdown prior to glyphing is super helpful, given my mediocre short-term memory.
- In dense areas, nearby missions showed up on the first page of results so unreliably that I frequently started up Redacted, selected the next mission I wanted to do, and restarted Prime rather than contending with Prime's mission list. This version appears to be significantly better in that respect and should greatly help with banners, especially given Prime's lengthy startup time.
- The swipe needed to access mods using the deploy button seemed to be rather finicky before and is now much easier to do, saving me from having to travel toward the top of the screen and back.
- Hack output is both easier to follow and less obnoxious by being on the edge of the screen. The additional color saturation helps -- at least until it changes color shortly before it disappears.
- The new version of the XM tank ring thing wastes a substantial amount of horizontal space. The newly-added space to its left is completely unused, and the space to its right, where Lawsons used to go, is similarly unused. Ironically, now that the AP bar has moved to the top of the screen the ring on the left now uses more space to convey less information. Consider putting the edge of the ring back on the left edge of the screen, moving the Lawson bar to either its previous position or where the AP ring used to go, and eliminating the space where Lawsons currently go.
- The new hacking UI's yellow and purple color scheme is weird.
- Capsules are too purple and pink. I'm a bit torn on this because it was part of the overall effort to make rarity-based colors really obvious, but in my mind capsules are already a bit "special."
- I liked the previous, faster glyph demonstration speed, but the lack of a countdown largely makes up for the loss of speed.
- The same gesture that brings the weapon carousel up can also activate the Fire button. This means that ending an upward swipe from the center button in the wrong spot leads to accidental weapon discharge.
- The bug that breaks attempts to link while another link is waiting to launch remains.
No review is complete without a couple feature requests, so here are mine:
- Nearby portal indicators are great, but should be possible to toggle off if I would rather see the road. I had the same desire for Redacted.
- From a portal view, I should be able to proactively tap or swipe up on the Charge button so I can boost-charge it when I am in range without extra button presses. I can already do this for deployment; charging should work the same way.
- When I swipe left on the center button to bring up the inventory I would like to be able to swipe back to the right to go straight to the key list. Not a major improvement, but a small time savings. I am aware that this sounds somewhat contradictory after my #1 issue is related to a button working after a swipe on something else.