We are continuing backend server testing that may temporarily increase latency on the Ingress app and on Intel Map Learn More

Reinstate Portal - St Landry Fire Department

• Category: Portal reinstatement appeal
  • Title of the Portal: St Landry Fire Department
  • City: Opelousas, LA
  • Screenshot of the Rejection Email: N/A

This portal was previously moved to an incorrect location and subsequently moved back to the proper spot before being removed completely. The portal is not in any way blocking the lanes of traffic and we've spoken with members of the staff who confirmed as well.

Please reinstate. Thank you.

Tagged:

Comments

• This portal is legitimate. It was originally submitted and approved by resistance player Kwarek. While I cannot prove it... But Niantic can... Players are moving and getting portals deleted for tactical advantage. This is ridiculous as this portal has been here almost since game release. I work here and can verify that it did not interfere with any operations and was accessible by foot and vehicle traffic with no interference with local traffic or entity operations. This is the sort of thing that takes the fun out of the game.

• Portal should be reinstated. Resistance agents are trolling this portal because Enlightened have been throwing massive fields over the state's capital City from/to it.

Portal is accessible from sidewalk or the parking lot and I have spent hours hacking it without any incident. Moderators removed legitimate teamwork here. Mods should be able to recognize obvious trolling and it is obvious.

• TheFarixTheFarix ✭✭✭✭✭

First, the coordinates are no where near the fire station. Second, there are clear interference concerns since there is no public sidewalks or street parking, forcing agents to use the staff parking lot or worse, park in the driveway of the emergency vehicles,

• @TheFarix have you ever been to the location in person? The gps coordinates were spot on the firehouse and there is plenty of parking! It appears this portal only got attention because of a large field that was thrown from this portal. This marks the 3rd portal in recent months that has been removed...which had been used for a big throw. Crazy because we have begged for months on non-legit portals and got zero help, then use a couple long time approved portals for a field and boom removed.

bummer. @NianticBrian @NianticCasey

take a look at the 3 ENL agents stats on this thread and please reconsider.

[email protected]

• @TheFarix There is a sidewalk directly in front of the firehouse. It's a public building and public sidewalk. I've stood on it for hours hacking. Parking is never an issue and you can even park across the street or you can also park at the airport and walk to the firehouse.

• All that's been mentioned so far is that there is (in some agents' opinion) safe pedestrian access, that it doesn't interfere with the emergency services, and that it's a long established portal. No one has said which of the Portal criteria it meets. Is it historically significant? I can't think why else a fire station would be Portal worthy.

• Aside from being somewhere that Ingress players in our community have used to come together in both factions and forge life long friendships. This particular fire station is home to a diverse crew that has helped host fundraisers for the community. In addition, many volunteer at the youth center next door. If any fire station deserves to be a portal this one does.

If this portal is not reinstated, I would appreciate an explanation why it was removed to begin with. Thank you.

• None of the things you've mentioned are valid Portal criteria (see the help section at ingress.com or, if you have access, the resources in OPR for what makes a good portal. My local fire station hosts fundraisers regularly and our firefighters volunteer too. You'll find many fire stations across the world are the same. People who dedicate their lives to saving others tend to be rather community spirited.

The portal was likely removed for obstructing emergency services. Either that or NIA OPS decided it did not meet portal criteria.

Consider submitting the nearby airport. It should qualify as a major transportation hub and appears to be quite close to the removed portal.

• I work at this fire department. The portal did not obstruct services. There is a mural on the engine room door. It has been a portal almost since game inception. It was reported invalid for team advantage.

• The criteria for portal removal are very different than the criteria for portal creation. For a portal to be removed, it has to either not be there, be on school or PRP grounds, interfere with emergency services or be dangerous to approach. As I understand it, its validity as portal under current nomination guidelines is not a consideration.

But who knows. The goalposts on OPR have been zipping all over the field.

• Thanks for flagging this location @Kusig007. I took this back to chat with the team that reviews these appeals to take a closer look and here's what we found.

Upon review, we noticed that the candidate in question is part of the fire department building and, being on one of the doors to the building, it may obstruct the entry of emergency services. This is covered under the “Do Not Submit” section of the criteria as “Candidates that may interfere with the operations of FIRE STATIONS, POLICE STATIONS AND HOSPITALS."

It sounds like there may be other eligible candidates in the location (one of @Kusig007's comments mentions a Youth Center). I suggest submitting those instead, after reviewing the Portal criteria.

We hear your concerns about abuse related to location edits. Please report these using the OPR section in the Help Center and we’ll be happy to review them.

• TheFarixTheFarix ✭✭✭✭✭

@NianticCasey Should I tag you on the Charleston Catholic High School portal appeal that was rejected a month ago? :)

• Appeal Denied- Thanks for the appeal, Agent. We have taken another look but stand by our decision to retire this Portal.

• kholman1kholman1 ✭✭✭✭

I am seeing a lot of portals being removed that should not be. People are sending in rural fire departments and sending in take down requests for post offices. There may be some legitimacy to these tactical portal removal claims.