Portal location mismatch

Curious about the general level most users of OPR put into suggesting new locations. I just reviewed a 2 nominations in a row that were misplaced by several hundred feet. In both cases, I considered giving 1* reviews (for location mismatch) but the nominations were otherwise solid and 4-5* per OPR guides.

Should I give the submitter the "benefit of the doubt" and give a high rating with a location edit or simply 1* and move on? Unfortunately, with "agreements," it matters to me what everyone else will do so I want to be within the community standards.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Most of those nominations are from pogo or ingress when they want couch portal. Every time i got one of those nominations, if it is under 50 meters area i put the correct location, but if is not visible, i will not look for all the streets where to mark the correct location and I give them 1 start.

• GendgiGendgi ✭✭✭

I have definitely seen examples of couch/desk nominations. If it maliciously looks like they've put it inside of a business/house for ease of access, I 1* it.

One of the ones I was mentioning above was a skate half-pipe but they put the location on the other side of the park at the entrance. Easier to get to, but nowhere near a sign or the rink.

The other was a business, but they put the location on the opposite side of the block, several businesses away. Because there was an existing portal, I believe it was off location to ensure it wouldn't be in the same S2 level 17 cell and would come into PoGO.

• TheismanTheisman ✭✭✭✭✭

If you can see where its meant to be, and its a valid candidate, then move the pin to the correct location.

The system is there so you can move it if you can see and know where its meant to be.

Mismatched location is for when its not where its suggested and you cant see where it is meant to be, its not for use if you can see where it is meant to be but cant be bothered to move the pin

• I had nominations to review where I found the correct location in the opposite part of the town or even in another town. Sometimes you're lucky and can see a street sign on the supporting photo. But it can even take 10-15 minutes to find the correct location in those cases.

The question is: is it worth the effort? Do following reviewers see my corrected location? Or will they see the original wrong location, just 1* the whole thing, because they don't invest the time to find the correct one and make my work useless?

I once had one of my own nominations moved (from the walking path in front of a building nearer to the building) and I saw that a local Agent asked in our group chat if anyone knows where the correct location is. So I think he moved it, but I don't think that other reviewers moved it as well. Anyways it ended up not where I placed it, but I can't imagine that all other reviewers moved it as well. Therefore I think others see the corrected location. Does anyone have any experience here?

• HydracyanHydracyan ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2020

I do a 360° view and if I don't spot it somewhere I rate it 1* an mark it as misplaced location. I also check satellite view when it helps and sv isn't available.

The location is automatically set to where you are when you are taking the picture and have to be manually wrong placed now, so if it's far too wrong, it's intentionally being abused.

If I'm able to spot the right place near the suggested one I rate it normally and chose a more precise location.

• are you just looking at it via street view or also checking satellite? Streetview can be horrible in pint point locations, often showing the stop inside a house or building, when it's actually further away. I've had some where streetview shows it on a freeway but satellite correctly displays it in the park where it belongs. Still gets rejected for being mismatched though because people don't bother verifying.

• Luckily we almost never have Street View in Germany... /s

• HydracyanHydracyan ✭✭✭✭✭

I always check both, selecting the actual Google streetview pictures and not the photospheres made by users.

• I've never been able to figure out the photosphere's, but I meant the satellite view, the images you see when you select chose a new location.