Are Lucy Boxes portal worthy?

Eucalipt0Eucalipt0 ✭✭

Recently I have been getting some Lucy Box submissions in the UK. For an explanation about them see e.g. http://www.historywebsite.co.uk/articles/lucy/lucyboxes.htm.

From that link: " 'Lucy box' is a name applied to boxes, about 3 feet high, about 2 feet wide and about 18 inches deep, which are to be found on pavements throughout the city.   Such boxes were originally used in connection with the tram network and then with the trolley bus network; and as part of the general electricity supply network; and for telephone purposes.". Oldest Lucy Box dates to 1803.

An example of a (imo very good) Lucy Box submission:

While I understand there is history behind these boxes, I am not sure they are portal worthy, especially when most are in such poor conditions. For this particular submission I chose to skip because I was unsure what to rate them (my first reaction was 2* but opted not to rate it).

Comments

• Things like this tend to be culturally subjective. I'm sure in the UK people would submit and approve them as they have culturally appropriate historical relevance. However, to look at it more objectively, they look generic (and ugly), they are essentially mass produced commercial equipment and most certainly are not a point of interest (why look at these things when you have much cooler monuments and things to look at?). At best it seems like a stretch to approve them, it's like PoGo people just gaming the system to submit anything they find so that it can become a Pokestop or gym.

In Australia we have similar things called 'signal boxes', they are usually bland looking however there are a lot of them that are painted over. In that case, people rate the mural instead of the actual equipment. The equipment itself is generic and mass-produced, but the mural is unique.

If a submitter can cite as per the guidelines why it is worthwhile and what makes it unique, then it might have a shot. I I saw that nomination on OPR that you posted, I would have rejected it. But each to their own, a judgement on these is going to be strongly based on cultural appropriation and the perception of its significance to classify it as a point of interest.

• oscarc1oscarc1 ✭✭
    edited August 10

Things like this tend to be culturally subjective. I'm sure in the UK people would submit and approve them as they have culturally appropriate historical relevance. However, to look at it more objectively, they look generic (and ugly), they are essentially mass produced commercial equipment and most certainly are not a point of interest (why look at these things when you have much cooler monuments and things to look at?). At best it seems like a stretch to approve them, it's like PoGo people just gaming the system to submit anything they find so that it can become a Pokestop or gym.

In Australia we have similar things called 'signal boxes', they are usually bland looking however there are a lot of them that are painted over. In that case, people rate the mural instead of the actual equipment. The equipment itself is generic and mass-produced, but the mural is unique.

If a submitter can cite as per the guidelines why it is worthwhile and what makes it unique, then it might have a chance of being approved. If I saw that nomination on OPR that you posted, I would have rejected it. But each to their own, another person might perceive that as something that would be a point of interest.

• ditahditah ✭✭

If it's just that grey box: Reject it. They are standard infrastructure boxes. Hundreds of them in a small village I guess.

In Germany (and I guess elsewhere also) we have some of these decorated with paintings so they fall under art and are usually approved.

• TheFarixTheFarix ✭✭✭✭

Being old doesn't mean that they are historic. If even submitting a building listed on the National Register of Historic Places, it doesn't mean it will get approved if reviewers find the building "boring". These boxes are uninteresting and they are not cultural landmarks either. Now if the boxes were covered in some artwork, then the artwork may be be a portal.

• Thank you for all the insightful replies. I agree that being old is not enough to make them portal worthy so I will be rejecting them unless they are painted/have some mural that merits a portal by itself.