Indoor gyms in multi-tenant housing

Recently I have seen some discussion about indoor gyms within multi-tenant housing (apartment buildings). Other than to have a couch portal, I personally think these satisfy the portal criteria.

My thought process is this: playgrounds within multi-tenant housing are acceptable (AMA response clarified this), indoor submissions are acceptable (AMA response clarified this), and exercise equipment (usually in outdoor parks) are acceptable. Why wouldn't indoor exercise equipment within multi-tenant housing be acceptable? They promote both a healthy lifestyle and exercise, and are a place where people gather.

Thoughts?

Comments

• kholman1kholman1 ✭✭✭✭

Because niantic has said gyms normally pertained to a generic business and they don't promote exploring your surroundings.

• redaczredacz ✭✭
    edited August 9

I mean if we're following criteria here: "ACCEPT if the candidate is in a park or community gathering place; falls under the criteria of public spaces that encourage walk and exercise."

I can do both walk and exercise in a community, indoor exercise room. It's communal and we gather there. It's not a generic company like a Steve Nash or some other pay-for-use gym.

• Ech0TomEch0Tom ✭✭

kids play areas outside apartment buildings usually have safe 24/7 public access to the portal. (Indoor private gyms dont)

They’re usually visually interesting (gym stuff isnt)

outdoor gym ewuipment in parks is put there as a community project to make people in the area healthy and are government funded, gyms in apartment buildings are just a luxury add on

• MeepuMeepu ✭✭

In my country, play areas outside apartment buildings do not have public access. They are not mandatory and they're privately funded, so they're not any less of a luxury than gyms. I also wouldn't argue a sandbox is any more visually interesting than adult exercise equipment.

I haven't seen any residential gyms in OPR yet, but I would accept. It's a community gathering place just as much as a sandbox or a bbq, and it definitely promotes exercise. (Personally I'm a little apprehensive of portals in places that are not publicly accessible, but Niantic has already said that this should not be taken into consideration in OPR, so.)