Suggestion - Targeted Ultra Strikes

I suggest modifying ultra strikes so they can target any legitimate opposing faction target in your action circle. This will really help if a target resonator is located somewhere like the middle of a street, or in a wall, or on private property.

It would work by including a "target" button in addition to the fire button when an ultra strike is selected. Once the target button is pressed, any possible legitimate target in your action circle can be selected. If you attempt to target a legitimate target that is outside your action circle, then a "target out of range" message is shown. If there are no targets in range, a message will display saying so.

Once a target is selected, then the ultra strike will attack directly above the target when the fire button is pressed. Targets will remain selected until they are out of your action circle or a new target is selected. If you move such that a selected target is outside of your action circle, then that target is deselected and the ultra strike will be fired from your own position again. 

You can center an ultra strike on your position after selecting a target by pressing the target button and selecting your location on the map.

Comments

• MorganzaMorganza ✭✭✭✭✭

This sounds good in theory but in practice the primary users will be people who don't want to get out of their cars, I'm afraid.

• I always place my highest level resonators in the most difficult to attack locations. Being able to target somewhere other than where you're standing would eliminate that and go against (slightly) the underlying ethos of AR.

• As others have said, that would utterly dumb down reso deployment strategy, and would also take away the strategic element of choosing hard to attack portals for anchors. There's not going to be a lot of point in picking an unstrikeable portal for an anchor, flipping it, then hanging around for an hour to defend it so as to ensure a big field goes up if attackers can just legit-spoof to a striking position.

The game is already very, very, very, very heavily stacked in favour of the attacker, and adding what would in effect be a "Remove teh shields" button would nigh on turn it into touch rugby / flag football.

• Ok. All that makes sense. Thanks for reading my suggestion.