Offline maps

Google maps app offers to download area and you decide how big and where (offline maps). This is some thing Ingress players would like to see in Prime. For low data service it is rather frustating beeing jammed because scanner is trying to get portal picture from server. Offline download ability would solve many issues. Then you would delete the data or it would just live for couple of days or you could choose let the app delete it in the time or day you decide. Is this some thing we could see in future release?

Comments

• DGaleanoDGaleano ✭✭✭

This is interesting even for everyday play.

You could load your usual game area while on wifi at home and then go out and play on a faster and more responsive Prime.

• we see something similar in Niantics reecent releash of Harry Potter where in settings you can download assets for 3300mb over wi-fi.

• Patka07Patka07 ✭✭✭✭

Good idea but I wonder If such map would only contains portals without links, fields etc. Because this changes constantly.

If I download intel map to view offline with info about resonators, fields, links, mods, then I will go to place for ingressing, a lot could change meantime. I would be dissapointed if I arrived and all was microfielded by someone during my journey.

• well I was thinking the data you would download would be the map data, portal picture everything not related to gameplay from another player. Links fields resos are constantly changing but there must be some data wich is not changing.

• DigitalisDigitalis ✭✭✭

would have to be able to not do this and make it totally optional.

i play literally nationwide in the usa. thats a lot of portal data.

i dont have enough memory to keep it all.

i shudder to think how much data it is for new york city. i go there often enough.

i mean cool idea - but if it is something we have to do i might have to uninstall the scanner. not enough space on my phone to hold it all.

• SoylentGrienSoylentGrien ✭✭✭✭✭

They are game assets like images that are used everywhere, not maps that vary depending on your location.

• AkceptorUAAkceptorUA ✭✭✭✭

It already does some sort of map caching. St least I can see the roads even when say riding in a bus into the area with no Internet.

Maybe it's quite local (hundreds of meters) and it would be great to have it configurable at least being able to download stuff around say a few miles from current place

• it would be optional how big area you would download and it would show you how big the data is. Would work just like offline maps in google maps.