Sharing is required for Prime parity

We need the various forms of sharing added to Prime before parity can be considered. In particular:

• Profile sharing for community and tools (e.g. many communities like their agents to promote acheivements and share them with others). Tools such as Agent Stats benefit from profile sharing.
  • Portal sharing is essential for the tracking of portal configuration for reinstatement after spoofing.

Please upvote for these important capabilities to be given increased priority :)

Tagged:

Comments

• schatchaosschatchaos ✭✭✭

Yes! Agent stat sharing is indeed needed in prime. And in a text format would be even better. YAML for readability by humans as well as computers would be awesome. But anything will do

• Ideal feature is (in addition to the screenshot share for a profile) it should also offer a "share as json" option as well. The solution doesn't have to be any more complex than that. More interesting stats sharing mechanisms should be worked on later imo.

The share to screenshot option is known to not function on some devices. A plain text file would work in all situations.

• An api for it would be great

• Jo0LzJo0Lz ✭✭✭✭✭

Let's hope some of the features land on this platform as well. I'd like to brag with my stats/badges :)

• caderouxcaderoux ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019

@xE3Nx QR codes can store about about 3k binary - more for restricted alphanumeric data. Not sure that's enough to get all the stats, would have to see with a sample representation of the stats. I'd think it probably could in a very lightweight markup like JSON or YAML since the old rule of thumb is 2k per screen (of 80x25 characters). (not necessarily including all medals or mission badges)

• @xE3Nx what does OCR have to do with JSON?

QR codes have a limit to the amount of data in it.

JSON does not have any restrictions.

• MoogModularMoogModular ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh man at CSV.

I don't know how limited you would be with a share feature as the profile grows. I think CSV should be a fallback if somehow a picture fails or crashes.

• I'm also missing desperately the function to share my profile in Prime. IMHO I would prefer a screenshot version for all things human (FS, stat competition etc.) and from the point of view of more difficult manipulation. However, a text/character based export would be gold for the community tools!

• starwortstarwort ✭✭✭✭✭

3K is easily enough to get all the stats and probably a bunch more besides. You need to store 40 or so numbers, plus the agent name and a version identifier for the QR format. You don't need to store the names of the stats in the QR - the data format can be documented externally, and maybe the QR actually sends you to a website that can decode the binary blob and generate a pretty profile.

Of course, one step beyond that would be to make the QR option generate a URL containing a passcode, and Niantic's web server just validates the passcode and then pulls the stats out of their own database.

• sthensthen ✭✭

Machine readable files would be great for events, but not everyone will be able to read them, so having something available directly as an image would be very helpful. It wouldn't need to look just like the in-game display though, just have the same information. Another problem with machine readable files is they're very easy to manipulate, so having the data sent by the user to the event organisers is a bit problematic. Obviously images can be manipulated too, but it's a lot harder to do quickly from a mobile device.

As far as events are concerned possibly the best option would be a link to a niantic website (a URL that can be copied or shown in a QR code as suggested would work nicely, probably valid for a couple of hours) giving access to authentic stats on screen, plus have a way to download the data.

Another place shared data (both agent and portal information) are often used is when discussing suspected spoofers. Those really need to be directly human readable, including mission badges, maybe the mobile device's own screenshot facilities are just about usable for this but they're not very convenient.

• mcwebtreemcwebtree ✭✭✭

The issue with a link back to niantic is that they would serve real time stats and often you want stats captured at a point in time. Granted there are exceptions, but say to validate/backup an FS entry or community comp then you want the stats at a specific time or point of activity, not necessarily when the receiver opens it.

Like everything there are pros and cons, and timeliness factors into the use cases.

• mcwebtreemcwebtree ✭✭✭

Would a screen shot option without badges be an easier thing to achieve in the short term? Just the agent header and the stats data?

• JackNeuralJackNeural ✭✭
    edited June 2019

Wrong Place to post this.. sorry.