Not maintenance day, it's protest day!

Let me first say that my problem with PRIME is not resistance to change: a new client was long overdue and I'm ok with that.

What I'm not okay with is all the process around it. 9 months later PRIME is still an incomplete version(compared to what is redacted), with a lot of bugs and with a lot of missing features from the original client.

Yes, I do believe they are trying to be better but that is not enough to make me feel better or to easily accept the demise of Redacted in September. They have a long way to go and I really don't believe we will have a full functional version of PRIME at that time.

So, if you feel like me, today is a good day to show it. Just don't log to PRIME, make them see how many of us are not happy.

Comments

• KatthKatth ✭✭✭

I've just did about 750k AP run playing with Prime and even though it has the obvious and previous mentioned shortcomings it still worked fine. Yes, it crashed a few times, but Redacted also crashes on me a lot.

The one thing that annoys me the most is selecting portals. I biked about 40km and it still iffy... When you are zoomed out max it's almost impossible when going 15km/h on a bike. I also still cant get used to the inventory.

• CyclebiffCyclebiff ✭✭✭

As probably the best Enlightened player on the west coast, I attempted to play at a park last night. Here are the results:

1. Deploying resonators was faster than redacted. This is the only positive thing I have to say since I last used the Prime Scanner in April 2019.
    2. The buttons are all over the place. Good for pgo players, not good for expert Ingress players like myself.
    3. Comms is a nightmare - i use it to scan for res activity - this is how I dominate any area I decide to grace with my presence. For those of us gifted with a insanely high IQ, good looks, etc, having to scroll five pages of what should be in one page is ridiculous and inefficient.
    4. I did all of this extraordinary testing while healing from fractured ribs. Why? Because I'm amazing at what I do and am better than most -- make Prime better than most (Redacted).
  • cheatchcheatch ✭✭✭

Tried it doing the 100 unique hacks today

Think the portals are way too small, grey looks like xm

Cant add photos on the portals, which is something like to do on anomalies/ mission days

The other annoying thing is if you click into a portal (in range) and out , the map orientation changes, really annoying if doing any micro fielding or mass hacking

• With Redacted being down and being forced to play Prime I cannot see myself continuing to play if Redacted gets taken away altogehter. Prime graphics are cool and all but more button presses and extra steps to do certain actions It is just way too difficult and time cosuming to manage keys, recharge portals ect. I really can't believe Niantic is replacing the very streamlined, easy to use Redacted scanner with a flashy rebuild. My sentiments reflect the feeling of many long time hardcore ingress players in the communities I frequent. With all of the time and money I've spent on my ingress account over the past three years I would be quite upset about quitting but I can't see myself wasting double/triple the time on this game when i'm so used to easily navigating Redacted.

• entronentron ✭✭✭

Prime has problems, especially lack of stability. It also has some improvements, like multi recycling. It is, slowly, improving.

But the real problem as I see it is not with Prome itself but the fact that Ingress, as a game, has seen no evolutions for the past 3 or 4 years since Niantic has been working on prime.

The quality of life improvements in prime, like better recycling and capsule naming, are nice, but they don't change the game at all.

I think Niantic really messed up by conflating 2 different things:

* Technical obselecense of the engine and an ageing and inflexible code base

* A desire to "improve" the Ui

What they should have done is initially address the first point by releasing a version on a modern framework and code base but functionally and graphically identical to Ingress 1 0 (redacted). The UI should have been made to be a thin layer on top of the logic and backend comm layer.

This could have been done fairly quickly, far faster than Prime, since no graphical or behavioural changes involved so mo graphics designers required and a perfectly clear spec (Ingress 1.0)

Once that was done new elements could have been added to the game, keeping the interest up whilst, at the same time, designing a new Ui if it was considered necessary.

Since the UI is would by now have been a thin layer on top of the common code base it would have been possible to support 2 UIs (flashy, Prime style and sober but efficient redacted style indefinitely).

Unfortunately Niantic chose not to go that route, or didn't even envision the possibility so, as a result we have been lumbered by a static game for years and a new GUI that is still not ready.

• All hail Lord GeoBiff

• DigitalisDigitalis ✭✭✭
    edited July 2019

i dont think i logged in on the 19th. do not confuse that to mean i support any such protest - i do not.

further its really slimy, shady, and deceitful to presume to speak for and opt-in the entire registered community to some pity party protest bs.

i do not approve of this thread.

you do not speak for me, not now, not ever.

• suysuy ✭✭✭

As probably the best Enlightened player on my street, I attempted to play from my couch last night. Here are the results:

1. Prime took a while to load.
    2. Recharging a few portals was frustrating because the level 11 XM tank sucks.
    3. A glyph hack on my couch portal wouldn't let me draw any glyphs, so I did not do well.
    4. I had to open Scanner Redacted to redeem a passcode for some boom booms.
    5. Fake leather couches don't allow for adequate crotchal ventilation.