Why Does NIA not introduce submission exclusion Zones???

With all the mapping data for Military bases and other sensitive restricted zones, why does NIA not impose a restriction zone rather than relying on OPR to spot submissions in these areas and 1* reject?

I have recently observed multiple RAF Didby portal submissions in the UK and have 1* rejected based on AMA/NIA guidance, however they are very good subjects and 1 has gone through already.

Come on Niantic, you can do things better.

Comments

• MicksterMickster ✭✭✭

I would suggest that Niantic is not familiar withe every Military base in the whole world. Also, what is "sensitive restricted zones"?

That's one of the reasons they created OPR. Let the boots on the ground define if the portal suggestion is area is secure, and not in a sensitive area.

• ArtilectZedArtilectZed ✭✭✭✭✭

They would have to rely on public information resources for that. Back when the game first came out, they did that for initial portal seeding, and they had some very bad sources (fire department portals off in the middle of nowhere, etc).

Let OPR handle it.

• TheFarixTheFarix ✭✭✭✭✭

I just had to do a location correction were an original seed portal was off by approximately 3.5 miles. That's 5.6 km to all you metric folks.

• thundercracker1thundercracker1 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2019

@Mickster @ArtilectZed point in case OPR are failing at that so NIA need to do something about it. "Sensitive restricted zones" was a term I coined for places like nuclear power plants, firing ranges, basically anywhere that might get law enforcement/private security/military twitchy if someone was hanging around or trying to access.

I hear you on that, and I understand it. But at the same time, they would have to scrape together multiple sources of information (hundreds of different lists, at minimum) and either try to verify every single thing on them, or hope everything is close enough (which, in the past, they've used lists that were wildly inaccurate). Not even Google Maps can be trusted for that level of detail.

• MicksterMickster ✭✭✭

@thundercracker1

But what if the Agent is an employee of the Firing Range, Nuclear Power Plant etc? They won't get Law enforcement /private security/miltary if they have a reason to be in that area.. Just because you can't get to it does not make it invalid (That's a Niantic Mantra, btw)

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭

Current guidelines are to reject portal submissions in on military bases. That, however, is tempered by the fact that existing portals on military bases are still valid and won't be removed, and should not have edits submitted to delete them under the current guidelines.

• .........Are valid portals, but not valid submissions in Phase 2 (OPR). I wasn't meaning it was an easy thing for NIA to do but for military bases there is pretty good data and OPR keeps failing on this front.

• vke123vke123 ✭✭✭

Same issue with company based portals. Only access for employees. So Both allowed or Both not. No difference

• KliffingtonKliffington ✭✭✭✭✭

The most recent AMA (feb 2018) regarding this topic says valid poi on military bases are not auto denials.

“Q12: Tiernan Messmer - You've mentioned about OPR candidates on military grounds in a previous AMA, what about mine sites?

A12: According to NIA OPS, mine sites are treated the same was a military grounds. Only portals on residential single family property should be denied due to property type. Assuming the portal meets all the other submission criteria which includes not obstructing or interfering with the operations of a industrial site as cited in the OPR help article.”

• I have also read the information that portals on military bases are allowed. They will not always be rejected. I suppose that, in this case, each situation must be analyzed individually. While the military base or the mine zone can enter even a single player, the portal located in it is completely valid. Of course, we must complement this criterion with the criterion of safe access.

If the portal is in a mine, inside privately owned (other than single-family housing) or on a military base and has safe pedestrian access, it is valid. If the access is not secure, then we can apply the "No safe pedestrian access" criterion.

Exclusion zones are not necessary. OPR can take care of that topic.