Niantic Tell Us Criteria for Playgrounds

jontebulajontebula ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 2019 in Wayfarer (Archive)

@NianticScot Tell us criteria for playgrounds now! Guide or criteria dont say accept all playgrounds. I think all playgrounds on apartment arean in Sweden dont follow criteria.

Comments

• jontebulajontebula ✭✭✭✭✭

I think aparment area dont are park or community and dont follow criteria. But i hope @NianticScot can tell us criteria for playgrounds.

• JosmanuJosmanu ✭✭✭

what do you mean with apartment area? near houses? near a building?, if are playgrounds are valid, doesnt matter what you think and this is one of the problems with OPR people not following the guidelines but using their subjective view and own rules

now if you mean the ''playgrounds'' are in the backyard of somebodys house then no, you cant call that playgrounds because is not open for public but just private property in private place

• MeepuMeepu ✭✭

I understand that children's play equipment located on private residential multiple-family property should not be automatically rejected because of the location.

However, just because it shouldn't be outright rejected doesn't necessarily mean it should be accepted. I live in Finland, and I believe our views on the play equipment are in line with the Swedes:

Play equipment is common. Every apartment building built within the last 60 years has some play equipment. A sandbox is as usual a sight as a bench or a flagpole. We don't approve benches and flagpoles, so why should we nominate and approve all 10 sandboxes within one block? In Finnish, we don't even call these areas "playgrounds" (leikkipuisto). That word is only used for larger, public play areas.

Furthermore, these 10 sandboxes would only be legally accessed by the 5 PoGo players in the block, plus another 50 trespassing nearby players who want to play where the portals/pokestops/pokemon/inns/traces are instead of walking a mile to the second nearest portal. In my opinion, placing portals on private property does not encourage walk and exercise as intended.

• MeepuMeepu ✭✭

That just sounds like a slippery ****. By that reasoning, every apartment building (non-single family) has a gathering place for the community. If they don't have a sandbox, there's a plant box, communal sauna or a bike shed. I guess that's good news for anyone who wants to reach a portal from their couch, but I still don't think that's quite what Niantic originally intended to be a high-quality portal candidate. There's also a weird contrast between every residential building being accept-by-default and every commercial business being reject-by-default.

Personally I don't care that much either way (I also play PoGo and WU and more portals = more spawns = more fun) and I don't mind voting according to Niantic's instructions. Unfortunately, these kind of portals are not reviewed consistently in my area, so I feel that we need even more clarification. Part of the problem is that clarifications are given sporadically and unless reviewers actively look for new and changed instructions, they can keep doing OPR for years without knowing anything has changed.

• kholman1kholman1 ✭✭✭✭

Once again they have clariffied the rules apartment commons are valid as long as the POI meets a qualfiying portal candidate standard. Has been said many times by Andrew Krug and he works for Niantic answer is not changing.

• KliffingtonKliffington ✭✭✭✭✭

It's not a slippery ****, if it's a valid POI and it's in a community (housing, apartment, condo) common area then it can be a portal. I review a ton from a housing community that has art sculptures in all of their common areas and I'm very jealous but I still 5* them. Submit your portals in prime and reference the AMA answer

• Many apartment buildings in the US do NOT have playgrounds, gazebos for barbecuing, or other common areas other than a pool. And according to the latest AMAs a pool is NOT a valid portal. I have no issue with approving the playgrounds and gazebos in apartment complexes even when they are gated and I know I won't have access. I find it very frustrating that there are apartment complexes in Irvine that I am completely unable to access from the outside that are used by the opposing faction to blanket the surrounding area, but I agree that they are nonetheless VALID portal candidates. it is what it is. I follow the rules when voting on portal submissions whether I agree with them or not.

I hope @NianticAkshay can enable script and auto remove playgrounds in areas dont follow critera when AMA say apement area dont follow criteria. We have lots of faild playgrounds now in Sweden in aparment area. We get very clear new guide we can read about it and agent dont accept it.

• kholman1kholman1 ✭✭✭✭

You misread the guidelines they are no longer allowing pools at multidwelling units. Playgrounds, dog parks, gazebo's or anything else in community commons is still valid. Don't try to make a case for denying these due to density either if you have 3 playgrounds in a park seperated by a good distance valid same goes for apartments. I don't understand why Europe has such a bias against playgrounds at multidwelling units but time and time again ninatic has reiterated valid if it meets all critera that is not restricted area etc.

• msz21msz21 ✭✭✭

For the most part I'm getting pools still being approved but I mention the clear intent of the cultural value a pool has. Either through athletic purposes or social community events that are hosted there where I find the information for the neighborhood online. Playgrounds should all be valid except school, private residence and military ones.

If they don't approve them, source the AMA in a prime secondary description that it is part of the guidelines that Niantic has specified clearly that @kholman1 mentioned.

• As long as playgrounds in church yards, apartment complexes, etc. are portals, some of us will keep fighting to ban them. Public playgrounds? Great. But if it is not a place where any random person is able to take their kid to play, they should not be allowed. I call those kinds of portals “pedo portals,” because they encourage adults to trespass or at least creepily hand out where they have no reason to be. Many church playgrounds, for example, are there as part of a daycare or a church school, though church member families can use them at other times as well. If the daycare or school is not ok for portals, the playground shouldn’t be, either. Similarly, if it’s a playground in an apartment complex or in a gated community, that’s still private property, just like a playground at a big house. It still encourages players to trespass into an area that is supposed to be just for member kids. The only reason for those areas to be portals is to do an end-around the spirit of the game, to create an unreachable portal that is not noteworthy and can never be seen by the public or the vast majority of players without breaking the law.

• msz21msz21 ✭✭✭

I do agree with your point but the problem lies in few factors. Both teams constantly use said portals as highly desired locations to get portals approved for since they are utilized for the intent of fielding which is the competitive spirit of the game. If we start removing even a few gated portals it's a slippery **** since every neighborhood park which closes at a certain time which is semi gated can be reported since it can't be reached or anything even remotely gated since a player can say that since I don't have access its automatically reportable. This would apply to even Hospitals (which are already specified to not approve even though majority of folks approve them), any gated college campuses, and a lot more locations.

Another major reason is simply spirit of this game has transitioned to people wanting Points of Interests in all 3 of Niantic games. The thought process in both the other games is more portals is always better which not every ingress player adheres to since some really want more portals while others would prefer not to since it affects the competitive nature of fielding.

If we look at it from just one game, yes having them at those locations stink for ingress players but the other games players will advocate for it since they don't have a competitive reasoning or even address the concept that that it might be unsafe because they or someone they know has access to it. @daemonaquila

• KliffingtonKliffington ✭✭✭✭✭

@daemonaquila

If you're operating under the very gross very misguided assumption that an adult being near a playground makes them a pedo/creepy then why is it less so in a public park? How about don't be creepy? Be polite to people around you? Make friends in neighborhoods that have these portals? They are communal areas in neighborhoods and they aren't invalid just because you can't access them. They don't encourage trespassing, if you trespass that's on you. There are plenty of other places for you to play. If there's something in an area you can't access maybe that should incentivize you to make a friend who can help you or at least give you access. I have never felt this entitlement towards a portal. If I go somewhere to take a portal down and find out I can't reach it, I change strategies and GO SOMEWHERE ELSE. Also this is no longer the ingress portal network, it spans more games than just ours particularly games that children play.

• kholman1kholman1 ✭✭✭✭

Thank you. Our local OPR was discussing this same issue today grow and act like adults you can hack the portal as you walk by. These portals are used by children and parents of the other games. Doing OPR is a large responsibility your are responsible for making 3 games Points of interest happen. Let faction and personal bias not affect your judgement on voting. I give passing grades on valid portal candidates that I do not think is personally worth the time due to the complaints the property owners wind up getting from the other games but I follow the rules hence why I hsve gotten 163 upgrades and almost double Onyx. I give a fair chance to the submitter.

• kholman1kholman1 ✭✭✭✭

Adding more portals isn't a competitive issue for fielding. It is a few agents are being childish complaining that their BAFs and it is too hard to field when they just need to learn BAFs will get harder and harder to accomplish due to the nature of the portal network dynamics. People can't just try to force niantics hand for certain portals in valid areas that naintic wants for their other properties or gatekeep their local areas so BAFs aren't blocked at that point it is border line ToS breaking.

• I think the only real off limits palygrounds are the ones installed on private residences. For example: I have a swing set and slide on my front lawn. That should not qualify as a portal because it is on a private residence and legally is only accessible to my family. Could someone off the street legally access in Ingress, Pogo, or WU? Yes. Does that mean it should be a portal? No. It breaks the private residence rule.

• kholman1kholman1 ✭✭✭✭

Read the 1* rejection reasons they specifically state K-12 school and in further detail also mention childcare facilities. So no it isn't just residences that playgrounds are invalid.

• Ok Fair enough. It's kind. That is another case, but my main point is that all playgrounds that are not explicitly immediate rejections should be valid portal candidates.

edited July 2019

I know playgrounds on apartment location dont follow criteria. Niantic mean meating location. Big green fields,campings,bathing when lots of people are. Way agents cant follow or understand critera wrong? Niantic never say accept all playgrounds.

• kholman1kholman1 ✭✭✭✭

@jontebula you are incorrect. Krug has stated on several AMA's playgrounds at Apartment Complexes are valid. It is valid as long as the submitter isn't falsifying the location and placing the pin on their apartment. Please go read the AMAs.

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭

we just have to accept that most time this game is to add most playgrounds like it or not its not like ppl stop submitting them. But anything on a single family residence is not valid.

• The guidance is pretty clear. Not sure why you need to be told again.

• In my personal opinion children playgrounds shouldn't be portals. These spaces should be reserved for children and their parents only. By approving them as portals we're inviting all kinds of adults messing around our children. I have a 2-year old nephew, and I'm worried about his safety as well as safety of all children around the world. After all we're instructed to reject elementary schools and kindergartens. I see no difference between those and playgrounds.

But now someone will say: "Not all players are bad/pedo". Ofcourse, like all people are. There are good and bad among Ingress and Pokemon players. I've met some amazing people through the game that I'm still friends with, but also some psychopaths that I don't want anywhere near children.