Ingress in 2024
What do you expect? What do you want?
We already have some Anomaly dates:
On XM Anomalies 2024
NIA Researchers have detected XM signals indicating Anomalies on the following dates:
- 17 February 2024
- 16 March 2024
- 18 May 2024
- 15 June 2024
However, none in January or April have been announced. Do you think we will have them or have some Anomaly-less months? I’m okay with that.
For 2024 myself, I’d like to see features finally fleshed out and finished.
- AgentOps - I know many link a task based system to Pokémon GO as it’s another Niantic title and they have it there. However task based systems in mobile games have been around for ages and doesn’t indicate that Ingress is becoming Pokémon GO at all for me. I’d love themed monthly tasks which would take time to do and offer some nice rewards (maybe even CMU in some cases?) and then once sorted and running well, we could look at Paid AgentOps. Pay £5, get special tasks, complete them and get a badge. This would help those who want to feel like they earned the badge rather than forked over money for a badge.
- FitRep - Now to counter everything I just said about Ingress not being Pokémon GO. FitRep is pretty pointless right now. In Pikmin Bloom & Pokémon GO, I get rewards based on how far I walk (group challenges for Pikmin Bloom & individual distance for Pokémon GO). Ingress is also meant to encourage me to get out and explore (“Time to move Agent.”) so it could give the little push with FitRep rewards which were mentioned during Q1 2022 and then forgotten about.
- Friends - Recently, Niantic has been all about “parties”. In Monster Hunter, I can form a party with Friends battle monsters. In Pokémon GO, I can form a party with Friends and do challenges which get all of us extra rewards and greater damage dealt. In Pikmin Bloom, I can form a challenge and see who walks the most & work together. Friends system on Ingress exists but isn’t used at all. I have a few ideas for Ingress but a Party sounds like a good idea to me as well. You can already boost up a Portal with a lot of Agents, but I am thinking of attacking. For example, you go out and gather up some other ENL, and form a party in game. Then your weapons do extra damage to Portals, perhaps even being able to sync up your XMP blasts to go at the same time. Then you get rewards based on number of Portals claimed or resonators destroyed etc.
It goes without saying that I’d like to see lag sorted too. As for some other rambling thoughts.
- Level 17+ please
- A reason beyond bragging rights to recurse (maybe 17+ needs one)
- Duplicating keys (sell Very Rare KCaps that do it, I don’t care)
- Months with events beyond the usual FS, SS stuff (will be an especially bare month in January/April if that’s all we have)
Anyways, I think that’s it from me.*
*I should add an addendum that if there’s a few responses I’ll probably read a few out on the podcast (probably for the 25th December episode). If you’re not cool with that, please do say.