Foreign language portal reviews

Why are agents expected to review portals submitted in other languages unless they've indicated proficiency in that language? Occasionally, I'll get stuff from Puerto Rico, Mexico, or other areas in a different language than English and many can be simple enough to rate based on some high school Spanish I remember from close to 20 years ago but is it really fair to expect the average reviewer to rate something that they are unable to read the justification or map labels for? I know there is often a skip button at the bottom but it is missing at the moment.

Comments

• JosmanuJosmanu ✭✭✭

They send the info in their own language because the game is in their own language and they are in a place where spanish is the native language, a mexican person has the game in spanish and when he is going to submit something everything is in spanish hence he dont see the need for put info in english and might as well be that he dont know basic english, so in the end is a problem from both sides, but since the system want foreign people to evaluate too that is why you get portals from so many far places, imagine if only locals review portals...it would be just 5 star everything, even a rock if that is what they want

• LlamazapLlamazap ✭✭✭

While localized portals make perfect sense, OPR should be smart enough to not show foreign portals to people from other countries. I live in north germany, and I still get submissions from France and Czech Republic, 800 KM away. While I can help on some of them, if there is text, I am unable to read it. Skipping the submission can only be done 3 times in 24 hours. Some kind of change would be nice.

• AstargAstarg ✭✭

There should be an option to set your language. Having opr check the language of the submission shouldn't be difficult, then just run it through google translate. Should be a fairly straight forward solution.

• JudyBJudyB ✭✭✭

It's very easy with the browser that I use on my Android tablet to run descriptions through Google translate - just select the text you want to translate then click on "translate"...

• To the first reply- I’m not expecting them to submit in my language, I’m expecting Niantic not to give me something I’m not using. The game has been programmed in multiple languages so clearly they are aware of the different languages their players are using.

Thanks for the other comments. However, I don’t feel like Niantic should expect us to look up the translation in our limited review time but having them provide it would be a fair solution.  One issue with translation sites is that they are often unable to accurately translate complete sentences and catch other things that make our various languages unique. A title may be easy enough but description and supporting statements are often a critical piece of the approval process.

p.s. it’s pretty silly that I can’t use the built-in reply feature since I haven’t been around long enough to share links

• OGMagusOGMagus ✭✭✭

"opr-tools" have buttons to instandtly google translate

• SirKingIkeSirKingIke ✭✭✭
    edited July 2019

In Europe we have the phenomena that on border areas, portals with the name/desc in the language of not the actual country but the neighboring country get submitted and go live.

For example: On the northern border of Germany is Denmark. In the Denmark area, there are quite a few portals with a german name/desc. Simply because they got submitted by a german in his native language.

• GargishGargish ✭✭✭

It's a price we have to pay for playing an international game. Especially in Europe it would be ridiculous to try to separate OPR by language. Some countries in Europe use different languages, like Belgium has "French", "Dutch" and even some German (note I write the languages in quotes because this is technically not correct). People also submit in English (I do if I submit in a foreign country). Use Google translate if unsure, it should give you the idea of what the submitter wanted.

• Try living in Southern Germany. I get so many submissions from Poland, Netherlands (!), Italy, Switzerland, etc. Mostly using Google Translate then, but it takes a lot more time to review properly.

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭

there should be option in OPR, lock out from review foreign portal submissions. Example im from Sweden i dont want review portals in Finland because that language is worse then chinese to understand.

• OGMagusOGMagus ✭✭✭

There is an IITC plugin called opr-tools, that give you one-click google translate.