Camp Navarro portal removed due to ignorance of Wayfarer team

Comments

• tp235tp235 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, Thia.

You mentioned that you restored the same day, is that the Lightship database managed by the Wayfarer team before it was deleted or the location database managed by the Ingress team?

Also, will the restored location be the exact same location as before?

Presumably that will be the first key to getting Portal back online.

• tp235tp235 ✭✭✭✭

I strongly agree.

For the past few years, and especially for the past 6 months or so, Ingress has been continually broken by the Wayfarer team.

In this case, of course, the large number of low quality portals being imported is preventing people from going to the Point of Interest, which is the attraction of Ingress.

If this situation continues, anomalies and mission days will be hindered by being filled with low quality portals.

• Not all portals were removed, only five or so iirc. The Meditation Garden of Saint Jarvis (year 2 Spiritualist) was one of them, and I think the rest were year 2 portals as well.

• Thank you tons for your attention and this update, Thia! 💚💙💖💙💚

• tp235tp235 ✭✭✭✭

A total of 15 portals that existed near these coordinates do not appear to have been restored.

These portals cannot be found by searching for their titles in the Mission Authoring Tool.

The portal you are referring to is in a different location, so it must be a different portal.

However, the portals you are referring to are also portals that need to be protected.

After this situation is resolved, the Ingress Team and the Wayfarer Team will need to consult with each other to protect them.

• @GraceOfJarvis @tp235 Thanks for the clarification!

• PkmnTrainerJPkmnTrainerJ ✭✭✭✭✭

The former Ingress community manager also commented about it in a Telegram group;

> Question: From what I remember about the Antarctic graveyard, it's supposed to be as far south as they could get in their system in order to be as inaccessible as possible. At least with Scanner Redacted, they were so far south that the scanner couldn't work down there (ie unspoofable).

> Andrew Krug: Nah. It's literally just where they were randomly placed.

> Andrew Krug: Lots of misconceptions and wrong info today. I restored all the keys when I also took the NL1331 portal offline. AMA.

> Andrew Krug: Oops times up. Thanks for your questions.

Great that you’re working to restore these. Would love an update when it’s all done to let us know how this will be prevented in future and how the teams (both Wayfarer & Ingress) will keep lines of communication open.

• Keys are the only souvenir we get to keep from trips and adventures which are associated with good memories and fun times. Sad times for the platform. Perma fields, CAL protected portals for city farms, lost souvenir keys. (Sigh)

• SSSputnikSSSputnik ✭✭✭✭✭

Lol it's not like players didn't warn it was going to be a train wreck. But ignored as per usual.

No need to listen to the Ingress Agents on the Wayfarer Forum 🤷

• tp235tp235 ✭✭✭✭

@NianticThia & @NianticBrian

How has the progress been since then?

Whether good or bad, it is reassuring to announce the status on a regular basis.

• tp235tp235 ✭✭✭✭

Disappointingly, the story you have painted has turned out to be correct.

They seem to have been the first to throw their hopes into the Antarctic Ocean so that the portals that produced a special experience will never be restored.

I am deeply disappointed in the Wayfarer team.

The Ingress team needs to write the Navarro portal into the database they have.

• Does "reinstated" mean that the portals have been restored to the Lightship database?

If so, isn't it possible to force-sync them back into Ingress?

It seems that portals like these deeply embedded in the Ingress lore would be fantastic for future events (anomalies for example) showcasing the potential of the AR technology. They need to be reinstated in Ingress, not just in Lightship or whereever they are at the moment.

• SSSputnikSSSputnik ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah thats so BS. The guys account should be nuked.

• ZeroHecksGivenZeroHecksGiven ✭✭✭✭✭

Typical Niantic treatment of a situation near and dear to many. lol

• I am curious, why do we have this 20m limit on the placement of Ingress portals? For years in the game Ingress, you could literally have portals on top of portals and the game was JUST FINE with it. In fact, co-located portals are great for those xfaction star bursts. I'd love to see a reason why they have this limit now.

• You know @NianticBrian it might be a nice thing to see those special TS Navarro portals make an appearance at the next Anomalies coming up, hint, hint . . .

It did go away for a little while again but this was asked in a Campfire AMA in March.

@AisforAndis asks, “Why restrict new Portals with the 20m proximity rule?”

NB: I’m trying to remember back to The Before Times when we originally implemented the 20m rule for new Portal submissions, and IIRC I think it may have been related to UX/UI of the mobile client and our disambiguation menu. If you’re in an area with extremely high Portal density, it makes it difficult to play in addition to creating performance issues. For example, here’s an area in LA near where I live that’s infamous for this: https://intel.ingress.com/intel?ll=34.060706,-118.44575&z=18&pll=34.060196,-118.445404 

Integrating with Niantic Wayfarer was meant to help somewhat, in that now these new Portal submissions won't be lost even if Ingress doesn't ingest them. They could still be used by other Niantic games, or if we were to revisit our Portal ingestion rules, then we can pull from Wayfarer's database of accepted Wayspots.

So the answer seems to be, to prevent lag?

Is there any further update on this? As mentioned, it’s closed on Wayfarer forums, so there’s no additional progress there.

I guess they’ve been added back as Wayspots but due to the 20m ruling they aren’t all appearing.