Military base portals and abuse

Comments

• VenomousToadVenomousToad ✭✭✭✭✭

There's new portals here on a military base so I'm assuming the rules have changed and they are allowed now. Not that there were rules anyway, just an employee of Niantic saying they aren't supposed to be approved anymore. It's like the wild west with Niantic. Anything goes. So keep submitting military portals, they'll get through.

• edited January 2023

Bahhhhhhhhh. Dumbbbbbbbbbbb.

It's one of the most important and restricted bases in US cuz it has nukes and enough air force to take out most countries, but we gonna make portals here that random gamers want to access or pokemon to catch. Lol.

All you need is a group of reviewers on your side and you can get them approved. Once approved they are impossible to get removed. Unless Niantic tells us what the actual rules for military submissions are we'll never know. And the ones getting approved now will never go away regardless of what they say. Maybe Niantic could tell us something. Probably the wrong forum and they'll just close the forum without addressing it.

They don't follow their own rules, so what are we supposed to do?

• edited January 2023

They didn't address the problem correctly in the link you have. They say for portals not in operational area should be allowed as long as they are open to the public. I'm fine with this.

However, nearly all of these on base portals are not open to the public. It's effectively a gated private community and/or residential area because you still need access by the military to get to those portals. So therefore, none of the portals behind the gates should be allowed in the game. And tagged as such.

New portals in restricted military areas are getting through. Sounds like some are gaming the wayfarer system. Niantic should address it.

• I love all the screenshots, in response to "Link?".

The problem is, those screenshots come from a website that is in no way official, and so yet again represents "Player said this is what Niantic said".

Which is the point of asking for a link...

• See, this is much clearer and didn't come up when I searched for it quickly. It also highlights that the "old AMA" is wrong, and that

HOWEVER, there are exceptions to this ruling i.e. if it's a park or public area that is open to the residents or the general public in the military base it will meet our eligibility criteria.

means that we're back to the original criteria which allowed base residential areas and public access areas with statues or monuments to be acceptable.

So basically... same thing it's been since 2012. Parks and sporting fields on military bases are perfectly acceptable in Niantic's eyes.

Except there are new portals on restricted military property which is against their rules.

• Report them. Those were always removable. It was the parks and residential parts that were impossible to remove.

Tried, doesn't work. These are different rules. Years ago you could submit anything anywhere on military property, even areas off limits to the general public. Now you aren't supposed to but it's still happening. Niantic needs to be consistent.

• SSSputnikSSSputnik ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2023

I got told by Niantic on an appeal for a new one that "Yes they are supposed to be 1 starred, but if they get through (coz ppl game the wayfarer system) then we won't remove it.

It's completely BS.... Especially when the other team has a Wayfarer Ambassador on their team.

Yup military portals are getting approved. As long as you have a group of players all approving them they get through. At this point it's either remove all portals on restricted military bases or just allow them. Obviously Niantic can't stop them. People are abusing the wayfarer system.

• EvilSuperHerosEvilSuperHeros ✭✭✭✭✭

At this point I don't even think its called "abusing the Wayfarer system". it's just how the Wayfarer system was built. Wayfarer team has basically no oversight of the portals that are submitted or go live. At the current point I'm not even really sure what that team "does". I mean they don't filter portal subs from being reviewed or even going live. It's a fight to get stuff removed that is no longer there, which is evident in Google Maps. We do know they are great at dumping cruddy poi's into the DB via 4Square though.

• KhatreKhatre ✭✭✭✭✭

Military area without public access needs to be added as report criteria

• VaskinCallVaskinCall ✭✭✭✭

The most important nuclear base?

Where did you say it was located? I'll go tell Putin about it ☺

I'll get the coordinates from Intel. Unless, of course, Niantic manages to delete this portal 😀

• Lol, one of..... Russia has already first strike nuked us in multiple movies

What kind of movies? Who made them? :))

If anything, it will be Niantic's fault, they were the ones who surrendered a strategic facility to the enemy!

But seriously, write a report on the forum https://community.wayfarer.nianticlabs.com/

Give some normal arguments, for example:

- there are dangerous nuclear devices in this area

- An unauthorized person in this area does not know the rules of safe behavior, and can create a dangerous situation. Which can lead to great harm to everyone around.

- etc.

The argument that you don't have access to it doesn't work.

Prove that it is dangerous for outsiders to be in that place.

• edited January 2023

Lol. We only need 1, the most famous. If you truly knew where all the nukes were, you'd be mortified. We have like 6k nukes, so every state averages 120 nukes

Greetings Professor Falken.

Ingress.

A strange game.

The only winning move is not to play.

How about a nice game of chess?

Post edited by GuerrillaGabbo on
  • MoogModularMoogModular ✭✭✭✭✭

Because providing an actual link to an AMA posted on G+ is perhaps not possible. Internet Archive status unknown.

• That was the point I made a number of days ago. And why I asked for and received a better link that confirmed what I was saying originally.

• just forget it. we have the same problem in portugal and those portals got removed once, but got replaced pretty fast. those portals changed the game in that area and complicated everything. Some agents stopped trying cause everything seems worthless since those portals appeared and started being used. its a shame but still, its a game. But there will always be things i cant understand, duality of criteria etc

• And about appeals? When removed portals (inside schools - k12,or permanent removed poi like grafitties. kyosks. buildings etc) returned because someone appealed the decision and Niantic aprove it? or someone Submit them, the community rejects and then, with appeal, gets aproval from Niantic? insane right? BTW, niantic already rejected me a Main Church, with Street view, satelite, info, and a nice statement, everything. It entered "niantic voting" and got rejected. After that day i got hopeless about niantic wayfarer program. If niantic co-workers cant do their work well, what are we doing? we need more trusted agents or trainers inside the wayfarer ambassador program because this is insane. If those things happen, do you really they care about the world get covered because someone got able to link 3 exclusive or unreachable portals? as i said: just forget it.... something need to change, really.

• SSSputnikSSSputnik ✭✭✭✭✭

The Wayfarer system is broken.

Its being massively manipulated by vested groups.

• i totally agree with you, my pont is: is it only the community or maybe reviewers from Niantic are corrupted somehow?

• I think it's Wilde76a that you'll complain about these links when your area has a history of being covered completely in green making it "unplayable". Only a problem when it's blue huh buttercup?

• caytcayt ✭✭✭

So you have no one on your side that can access the base? Then would you like to explain how people like SixBravo access it?