Rejections "Too Close" Help Niantic need information

FrostrisFrostris ✭✭
edited July 2019 in Wayfarer (Archive)

Hi @Niantic staff, i would like to Know the criteria for the too Close rejections, some people have said to me that if the portal submit is in a ratio if 20 meters to an existing portal is considered too Close, i am not sure if this true, i have seen apear new portals near of anothers ones, please could you give me more information about this, i think is very interesting information. Thanks

Comments

• msz21msz21 ✭✭✭

So Niantic never provides information on how OPR works in regards to at least the responses. That 20 meter rule is just through players using a multitude of different ways of testing the distance they have utilized to squeeze in a new portal and have thousands of submissions testing the theory. If they don't provide the reason why your candidate got rejected in depth then I highly doubt they will at the current moment address this topic. There are features or capabilities to really check if you think the 20 meter rule is true or not but you would need help from the folks who use the additional tools that Niantic doesn't provide for the game that others do. I don't utilize said tools so I'm of no help.

• harkonnnenharkonnnen ✭✭✭✭

Alot of theories and ideas are around about that.

Personally I have always used the s19 cell theory and has worked for me. Might be worth checked where the 2 portals sit. Or it could have been if you had both submitted at the same time. In which case just resubmit now if 1 is through.

Or your trying to put the submission right on one far side and it got more back to the centre by reviewers

• thundercracker1thundercracker1 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2019

I believe in the S2-19 theory about portals however there have been a few cases where this hasn't held true, but for 99% of the cases where a portal gets rejected for proximity the S2-19 theory seems to hold true.

Similar experiences with S2-14/17 cells for the other games from Niantic

While you should always submit the portal at the correct location, with larger POIs knowing roughly where the cell borders are can help reduce the proximity rejection likelihood.

• I've had ones rejected a few times for being too close despite being in their own s19 cell so that definitely isnt the rule.

i've also recently had two accepted together significantly under 20m apart so it definitely isnt that rule either.

i think it may be the theory i once seen before about s20 cells where there has to be at least one empty cell between them but in all honesty i have no idea.other than it definitely not being the first two theories.

• ZennZenn ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2019

I think 20m rule applies for original submitted location but if reviewers move it during review... Then you might see candidates breaking the rule. The reason I surmise this is the case is because back in the day edits could place portals nearly on top of each other for location and I imagine there's something similar in a lack of Fail-Safe in this regard for opr as well