[Speculation] Ingress new Quest system Q1 2023

GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 2022 in General

Was mentioned for the March Anomaly

From this one line of text

1) We have a potentially announced location for an Anomaly

2) There is a big feature coming to the Ingress Scanner Courtesy of IQTech. Quests/Tasks/Bounties

3) The Anomaly will also have local Hexathlons in other regions

Discuss?

Comments

• I googled that "MZFK" thing, it appears in part 4 of Kryptos (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kryptos), and means "CLOCK".

Would be cool to have decoding anomaly for a change.

• MoogModularMoogModular ✭✭✭✭✭

or it's just another format of hexathlons...

• ZeroHecksGivenZeroHecksGiven ✭✭✭✭✭

Do you have any other ideas to engage agents at this point? Especially new ones? Have you looked at the calendar for Q1? Do you think there is a reason games with daily tasks involved do well on mobile devices? I mean, realistically, sojourner is V1 of tasks for Ingress.

For me, personally, fighting for the scores each cycle doesn’t make sense in a lot of areas, my own included and frankly, I’ve found little interest in chasing it. The other medals could be worked on, but at this point, hunting down uniques will require some amount of travel. I’m looking forward to some sort of task system and have been asking for one here in the forums for a couple of years now. I think they also need to add ticketed events that one can do on their own, at their leisure. A not so unique way to earn some dollars and engage agents…

• GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm much in the boat.

Besides, New players kinda expect tasks in mobile games. It keeps them hooked.

When they see Ingress doesn't have them, some have told me directly, they aren't interested in a game that doesn't have tasks.

I'll reserve judgement depending on how tasks are implemented

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2022

My guess is the IQTech HexQuest will be some form of tasks, not just create 50 fields and get the badge, perhaps they will make those hexathlons and have 5-6 objectives or something maybe.

Most casuals find the game boring with no weekly or monthly tasks, just open the game hack your daily and be done with it... no wonder the game feels like its not evolving .....

• GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2022

This is what we had when Catan World Explorers was around, the available quests were found by opening the main menu

And up to 3 icons on the left of the map scree for the active quests.

This layout wasn't intrusive.

Perhaps a similar method will be in Ingress?

Am keen to hear what everyone else thinks

• Catan had better quests/tasks cauz you can level up npc friendships with em alr as well as trading, on top of special seasonal tasks

• I could live with tasks similar similar to pogo where you get a small amount of kit for doing something.

I can also already hear the complaints here if they implemented something like that 😂

• I think tasks and quests will be good only if they somehow reward you with CMU for completing them. But I don't know if ill pay with good game atmosphere for small amout of CMU.

• PkmnTrainerJPkmnTrainerJ ✭✭✭✭✭

There’s a few ways they could do it.

It could be tasks limited to one day, like with the Harry Potter: Wizards Unite & Pokémon GO Community Days where you earn a new avatar, or points to a badge by completing the tasks.

There’s also the option in future of paid research, but I think that’ll be a while off, whilst they get Agents used to the system at all.

I think we will have “event” tasks at some point too, themed around whatever anomaly we have, so even if people can’t attend in person they can still feel like they have contributed.

Below example from The Witcher: Monster Slayer which has themed weeks (or did).

We may go the whole way and get all three. Daily tasks, weekly tasks and event tasks.

(Examples from The Witcher: Monster Slayer , Dragons: Rise of Berk and Pokémon Masters)

As seen by the variety of games, a task based system is in a large number of titles and helps to encourage daily play and drive up numbers of daily active users.

I don’t know what I would want the reward to be for Ingress. You can see in some of these that completing tasks will give you an item/badge and completing all will grant some premium currency.

I would say I don’t want the first set of tasks to give out anything too rare, and perhaps announce ahead of time what the rewards/tasks will be if they know that far ahead?