Niantic Vanguard support.

2»

Comments

• TheKingEngineTheKingEngine ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2022

Vanguards are not and were never required to communicate with players does not mean players should expect that vanguards 100% will not respond to them and players should never look forward to getting help from them.

Why would players care about Vanguard program? Because they think that they could get help from it. Why would players care and talk about Vanguards, if keeping being replied with "No, Vanguards are not required to help players"?

Simply claiming that "Vanguard program is not designed to help players" makes this thread meaningless by making it into a Niantic<->Vanguard thing. Players are irrelevant to this thread and thus should sshhh, is this what you want?

Ok, I understand. This thread is about "A speicifc Vanguard is too tired, Niantic please help that specific Vanguard". Nothing else.

• People who actually "require" contact with some Vanguard, must not know what the program is for.

Summarizing volunteer "job" down to just "banning spoofers" and "resetting portals" is far from the voluntary occupation of a vanguard.

Nia has a very, very, very poor spoof detection system. after the last annual warning about anti-cheating policies what was already bad, got worse on a scale that I have never seen.

Many players who want to be a Vanguard would be disappointed when they find out that they can't change the ingress world and can do almost nothing to actually help.

Vanguards are not the ones causing chaos, I'm sure many, many would like to solve everything, but unfortunately they don't have the tools for that.

NIA needs to stop just talking and publishing the standard anti-cheating warning annually and urgently needs to improve its anti-cheating system.

Phasifiers clearly spoofers are acting freely for days, weeks and even months before the ban.

In the eternal cat and mouse fight, I would say that the mouse is acting freely on the cat's whiskers and the mouse is winning.

• sakumomo1203sakumomo1203 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2022

Try not to be confused by words like "NIA OPS", "Niantic Support", "spoofers" mentioned in the main thread. This post is not meant for discussion about the root cause of the problem and how to fix it. This post is simply acquaintances' inviting players to say something good about one unspecified Vanguard, which normal players do not need to care about. Vanguard is responsible for Niantic not players. Players are irrelevant to this topic. The author of this post shows no motivation for "what made Vanguard exhausted and what we players can do about that" as well.

• Niantic should pick new Vanguards who do not always live in the ivory tower and would kindly ALLOW players to expect receiving help from them.

• I noticed that you said "There are several VG still active". Then you said "I will not discuss other VG and their activity. You have no visibility". So basically there are, indeed, some other VGs inactive from your perspective. Not sure why you do not agree with the reply above you which was talking about the same thing. Looks like denying for denying.

If a Vanguard is completely inactive for a long time, it's reasonable for players to request for rotation, even if Vanguards are not required to help players, because it seems that Vanguards are chosen from players, and some players want to be new Vanguards and help Niantic. New Vanguards can probably also help you on some topics. Isn't it a Win-win.

• Once again, it's not up to us to choose and assign new VG. Niantic hasn't opened up new applications nor have they mentioned anything on VG rotation or new enrollment.

Until they do, the status of current VG activity is not relevant.

• So this thread could be a good chance to request for Niantic to review and open up new applications, and updating the Vanguard program to make it more useful for players, while paying tribute to one specific Vanguard. This is a way of solving the problem. If Niantic really wants to solve some obvious problems that players care about. If Vanguard program would decide to stay useless to general players then I would not care about it either. Vanguard can throw in the tower freely. It has not impact on players.

ok, I sincerely thanks whoever is willing to help players as a Vanguard for his/her contribution to make things better.

• Yes,

a) Support is not doing anything anyway, and is probably replaced by a script at this time (though I could probably write a better script over the weekend)

b) In 7 years I have not seen or heard from a Vanguard ever. Have a feeling you need to be best buddies with one to get any actual benefit from the Vanguard existing, but then you kinda have to find one first.

If Ingress is so lacking in funds that they can't afford to actually do any real support or support the Vanguards they should just remove them, I wont notice a difference

Out of curiosity: have you successfully in the past 7 years helped banned spoofers via Fast Track report, which would very likely result in a portal restoration request that would call for a Vanguard (voluntarily) to contact you for details?

• EvilSuperHerosEvilSuperHeros ✭✭✭✭✭

Still no speed limits set for agents either. Speeds faster than any human can travel (outside of being in space) and no bans. Not sure why Niantic doesn't at least soft ban these "travelers". They should of done that years ago.

I rarely submit tickets for agents spoofing, multi accounting, ect anymore, because 99% of the time, it doesn't result in a ban or even a temp ban.

I watch hordes of accounts level up (both factions) in a very specific area of town, once they hit L8, they usually disappear and are never active again locally. Most of them are later banned for unknown reasons (to me) but I can bet, if I submit a list of those accounts to Niantic, I bet many are on their banned for spoofing list.

They likely don't have the man power / dev hours / capital hours / ect. whatever you want to call it, to dedicate to this anymore.

• Really? Only ignoring no contacts from Vanguard? This sounds slightly different with what this post is discussing about, that is, Vanguards' sacrificing themselves doing the portal restoration request asked by NIA OPS.

• canon07canon07 ✭✭✭

I’m a little late to the conversation but I was reading through all of this and I was struck by the fact that this announcement from Niantic says there are 36 Vanguards and yet when I count the names on the list I only get to 30. Where they 6 short even after they last added Vanguards? Why didn’t they pick six more? I do know at least one Vanguard passed away so that would explain only having 35 on the list but just 30?

Not to mention there are only three US based Vanguards… and just six in all of North America… Granted, there are probably a lot more active agents in other parts of the world but for a U.S. based game, you would think we’d have a little more representation.

And it’s not something you’d see in the list that just tells you what country people are from but I’d also like to see more rural and less player dense areas get a voice in the Vanguard program. There are a lot of things in Ingress that seem like they were thought to be a good idea to people who play the game in San Fransisco that have different implications when you play in areas with few agents and vast distances between towns and portals. Not having a key duping mechanism in place when they took away Quantums for example. Or the poor fellow in North Africa who’s in our Virtual IFS who can’t do Second Sunday because there aren’t six missions in his town where he’s the only active agent and he’s struggling to get missions approved.

https://community.ingress.com/en/discussion/4703/vanguard-program-update

• AzhreiaAzhreia ✭✭✭✭✭

There are players from rural and less dense areas that are VG. We have broad and varied representation from across the globe.

• tp235tp235 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2023

Some players on this list have already resigned from Vanguard.

Niantic should be updated to the latest version as soon as possible. @NianticThia

Also, it is a good idea to elect a new Vanguard for the vacancy.

Well, then it is up to the individual to decide whether to trust or not trust that Vanguard.

• joecainjoecain ✭✭✭✭✭

I still offer to serve as VG if the need arises.

• canon07canon07 ✭✭✭

That is good to know. Still, it does seem like those of us in less populated areas are often overlooked when game altering decisions are made. I hope those Vanguards who fit that description are voicing concerns and sticking up for us in the Vanguard chats. And when they do retire/quit it sure would be good to know they’re getting replaced.

• AzhreiaAzhreia ✭✭✭✭✭

The Vanguards are not decision makers within Niantic. We can only offer opinions on the subjects Niantic chooses to discuss with us. Whether Niantic chooses to use that feedback or not lies with them. I can assure you we do speak up often and we certainly try to cover feedback from all angles, but as this happens behind closed doors, it would not be apparent to you.

Niantic hasn't opened up applications for new VG, so even if some retire, their positions will not be filled at this stage. I don't know if or when they'll open applications again .