PvE in Ingress prime

GreenVamGreenVam ✭✭✭✭✭

Soon our game will have PvE. this is a very good innovation. Let's hope that this innovation will be in a daily format and it will be free (and not like with beacons). Tell us how you would like to see this part of the game?

I will add from myself. Why is it still so easy for us to gain control of the gray portal? Why shouldn't it be won back from a computer opponent? It is also possible to make portals that would be captured by some kind of red faction, which would have to be reclaimed before being captured. For example, make bots that would capture portals around the city, connect them with links, make fields ... You know, it would be more interesting to play in cities where there are only 1-2 agents of one faction, they would have a rival. The strength and number of bots could be calculated based on the level of play of the teams playing in the cell.

Tagged:

Comments

• GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭

Absolutely no to bots.

The system will likely be a bounty board/quests.

Similar to every other game around

Examplea

Capture x Portals

Make n Links

Deploy n resonators

Make x 4 glyph sequences in a row

Destroy n Resonators

Destroy n links

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭

could be good for causals that just hack once daily for the sojourner to keep up motivation play little more.

• DrHydrosaurDrHydrosaur ✭✭✭✭

Personally, I would expect more from “PvE” than just an itemized list of standard game mechanics.

I’m hoping, but not holding my breath, for something far more interesting than that.

Hopefully it’s not going to be throwing xmps to capture randomly spawned shapers.

• GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭

@DrHydrosaur drone hunter?

• HosetteHosette ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2022

I kind of hate the idea of PvE, but whatever they do I hope they do it in a way that doesn't impact the game board. I also hope it isn't just a list of checklists like in their other games... "Do this thing X times, not because you want to or see value in it but because you want to check it off the list."

(Signed, someone who will perpetually be L43 in PoGo because she hates the battle league and isn't willing to do stuff she doesn't find interesting just to level up)

• GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hosette people will find things they don't like about it.

Even The Walking Dead:Our World has tasks that many do not like.

Some people who are not interested in the scoreboard, and just want to play solo against the environment will enjoy bits of it

Best to find a balance of PvE that also encourages PvP in some way.

Perhaps even it being a means to go from L16 to L24?

• SSSputnikSSSputnik ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2022

Prefer no PvE. Hoping it's something we can just choose to ignore if implemented.

• gazzas89gazzas89 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it helps woth the battle league thing, at least for the great, ultra and masterz you can just have a friend send out weak pokemon and one shot them, that counts.

• edited November 2022

Raids. It's gonna be raids, with passes.

I'd like it to be Redfection but I'm not holding my breath.

• This...

Shapers will read your mind and take over one of the portals you are planning to use for an OP.

To defeat the shapers, 10 agents need to fire 100 XMPs each while standing in the exact center of that portal (any cm off center won't count). And of course, factions don't matter, because why would they.

If you can't get 10 agents, others can buy a drone upgrade to have the drone join, but only if it is already stationed at the portal.

If you succeed within 2 minutes, you all get a link amp, if you fail, all portals in a 200km radius will be neutralized and unable to be used for 6 months.

• PvE? Oh god. PvP is the only reason that many players are still playing. If doing PvE, why not choosing other decent, modernized games that's far more fascinating?

• HosetteHosette ✭✭✭✭✭

@gazzas89 No, that doesn't help at all... and that's my whole point. Doing something boring and repetitive almost a hundred times just to increment a number is precisely the opposite of an interesting game mechanic. That is exactly the sort of thing I hope Ingress doesn't implement.

• gazzas89gazzas89 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tbh I agree, the level up requirements aren't fun, you've got stuck at gbl, but like 2 levels later it's rocket battles, that was depressing to me.

So yeah, im hoping the pve isn't pointless tasks, I wouldn't mind tasks that give items after, cause that's at keast a reward, but meaningless takes for no other reason than to do them wouldn't be fun

• Jo0LzJo0Lz ✭✭✭✭✭

Well that is not PvE, right? It's incentive to do PvP.

• Jo0LzJo0Lz ✭✭✭✭✭

That won't be feasible in my area unless some pokemon people decide to play ingress to help. And I don't see that happening.

• HosetteHosette ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2022

@PkmnTrainerJ There are massive differences between raids and battle beacons. Raids are scheduled in a way that makes them highly visible from a non-trivial distance-- they're essentially miniature events. They give a big reward for winning (gear) and a chance at a second reward (catching what's probably a special critter). There's also a much larger player base to find people to battle with. Battle beacons are pretty much the opposite of that in every single way, and I've yet to find a reason why I would want to use one to initiate combat in normal play.

It's hard to imagine checklists like "Hack X portals" will motivate people to play. I think any PvE elements would have to be more interesting than that. They work in PoGo and other games to some extent because the mechanics of those games are mostly not very interesting and they need something to spice them up... throwing cartoon balls at cartoon monsters is basically just a grind and then you throw most of your catches away, but every now and then you get lucky and get a special one (high stats or shiny). Back in the HPWU days I would generally do whatever daily tasks there were and then close the game until the next day. I kinda do the same in PoGo.

• edited November 2022

PVE = Player versus Environment. Meaning non-player characters, bosses and encounters. There's a wide range of possiblities, and in Pokemon Go, the PVE element is the Raids first and foremost, with Team Rocket being one of the minor encounters.

If they're trying to monetize Ingress with PVE, it'll be some sort of raid, like Pikmin Mushrooms or PoGo Raids. If they're going for an AI opponent, random popups like TR does would be worse than painful. Better Redfection than Team Rocket.

Also, Battle Beacons are 100% PVP. No idea where you'd think they're PVE except when there's no enemy and it's a dud beacon.

• GreenVamGreenVam ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2022

Friends, I remember the times when it was just fun to play. Then in my city there were 10-30 opponents and there was a real battlefield. Now there are almost no opponents left, but there is a lot of empty space where no one plays at all. I used to have an incentive to go to the most distant portal to demolish it. What do I have now? I have no reason to go anywhere because there is no threat from the enemy. Now, if there was such a threat, and even such a threat that would threaten my portal network, and everything that I built, then yes. In the meantime, we have a lot of white zones that you don’t even want to go to, because no one plays there, and it’s disgusting to play in the main city, because the last half of the smurfs hardly move. I want a worthy opponent, one against whom it would be necessary to plan, create special operations, and so on. Not 1-7 portals that the third faction captured without even linking them together. And not a raid on the boss, as in Harry Potter or Pokemon, but a normal third or even fourth force that could make me go into the fields. Something that could move through the portals, something that could expand its influence on the portal network, and something that could pose a significant threat to my fields. For now, I only have... Half a dead smurf who goes out once a day for a ride in a car and who captures 3-4 portals. That's all! There is no battle in my city. In nearby satellite cities, there are no rivals for new agents at all. They download the game, play it for 2-3 days, and due to the lack of rivals, they delete it.

I don't want raids from pokemon go. They are primitive. If I have to "defeat" another 3d figure by spending 100 bombs and in return getting some valuable items that I can already get from portals ... Then why do I need this, if it will not give me absolutely nothing of what I had before ? And I had emotions in the past, I had a need to use the intellect, I had a need to travel to distant cities. I had a worthy opponent in the face of the Smurfs. And now my toad swamp is empty... There is no one to even defeat...

• MirthmakerMirthmaker ✭✭✭✭

PvE of going to a different box and scoring in multiple different ways.

• joecainjoecain ✭✭✭✭✭

Do you think ingress' antiquated backends could support a pogo-style raid?

Top kek

• GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭

They already do, Battle Beacons though do more than pogo raids, so they aren't comparible much

• This is where the concept of Redfection that you dislike comes from.

An enemy who won't get tired, won't retire, won't get bored, and won't **** your house.

If we can't get sufficient active players in an area, AI opponents can keep the game interesting until others arrive and see the fun.

If it's PoGo raids (which I expect) it's going to flop. And if it's make-work tasks, it's going to flop.

Ingress needs destruction more than building, despite players actively trying to suppress their opponents to make life "easy". Easy is boring. Easy is uninteresting. Easy is not an engaging challenge.

• I think the additions they've made show they can handle PoGo elements, and a raid with 10 people in an instanced area is far less load than throwing a link through a city.

• ToxoplasmollyToxoplasmolly ✭✭✭✭✭

Suppression is only possible due to a lack of building.

The typical "large" field is the result of coordinated destruction -- namely, the destruction of blocking links. The actual creation of links and fields is, by comparison, trivial. And these fields go back up "instantly" because the effort to build blocking links is dwarfed by the effort to destroy those same blocking links.

That's my local experience, anyway. As a result, I say: What the game needs are builders.

• grendelwulfgrendelwulf ✭✭✭✭✭

Redfaction Drone Swarms. **** a mole style

• GreenVamGreenVam ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't want the red faction as an addition to the gameplay. I want a full AI controlled faction. Not stupid bots that are like the R command in Pokemon Go, who will capture the portal and sit on it. I want there to be a real threat to my home portal and so on. And I want it on a permanent basis and not on anomalies in individual cities. I also don't want war beacon style raids. Buy the opportunity to defeat the boss! Even AAA-level companies have not been lowered to this. I hope we don't have that either. And yes, I don't want dailies like set, 20 resonators and **** a bomb 3 times, because it's stupid and repeats the mechanism by which we get badges.

• GreenVamGreenVam ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2022

And in general, why should the third faction be similar to people? Why can't exogenous beings be like this, for example?

So the question is, why should PvE be a battle against humanoids, and not against some swarm of creatures or some super creature trying to crawl through portals to us ???

• PangarbanPangarban ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hosette when you say, "Back in the HPWU days I would generally do whatever daily tasks there were and then close the game until the next day. I kinda do the same in PoGo", you are kind of making the case for checklists. Clearly, they keep players active whether they like them or not. I agree, simple checklists would be really boring. But the idea of @PkmnTrainerJ , which puts them in a context related to Ingress lore, is a step up.