Portal Mod Upgrades

Why has the game not had the option added to upgrade portal mods?

While it makes sense to restrict changing mods of the same level (e.g. swapping an existing Aegis for a Heat Sink, or vice versa), it seems like a very logical parallel to resonator upgrades that common/green mods should be eligible to be upgraded to either blue/rare or pink/very rare mods, or blue/rare to pink/very rare, as a way to enhance an existing portal. This would allow for the eventual build-up of a portal from a more random configuration to one that could function as a fully-realized 'farm' (e.g. 2x Shield/Heat Sink/Multi-hack) or link hub (e.g. 4x SBUL) based on the collective work multiple agents.

Comments

• Neku69Neku69 ✭✭✭✭

I like your idea, but it could be used for abusing plus tampering backpacks

• EngrishEngrish ✭✭✭✭

Way way back when we could remove and put mods back on. It essentially made easy unlimited AP so NIA had to remove that feature. It would be nice to upgrade mods though.

• A similar option would be to have an item/weapon that removes one/two/all Mods from a portal. Kinda like a Virus works or, for those who know it from Riot's TFT, a Magnetic Remover.

Straight up upgrading would be fine for me, for a smaller AP reward (just like Resos work) but only for the same species of Mods. Which would mean you can only upgrade Shields, HS, MH, LA with better ones respectively. SBUL shouldn't upgrade LA, imo, but it'd also be great to create a VR Turret and Force Amp and eventually add them the Kinetic Capsule.

• I was going to ask for the same but I see that there are already lots of posts with the same subject.

I agree that upgrading mods just like resos depending on their rarity would be awesome.

• ChronicDiChronicDi ✭✭
    edited September 20

Just started playing, put down some level 1 mods without understanding this would affect others in the area - now I feel guilty.

I also made a mess with the link lines - but at least that I could fix by just making lots of smaller triangles :)

I definitely think you should be able to upgrade mods and remove(delete) existing ones.

You could turn it into an interesting feature where you need 2 people to upgrade it in person. It would play into the idea that its about you and your team.

The other thing I'd suggest is to just make it cost you AP/Experience to remove a mod and make that 3 or 4 times what you gain from deploying a mod (shared with your collaborator if you have to pair on it).

That way upgrading a Mod is literally dowgrading yourself.

The role playing game Numenera has a similar mechanic: spend xp (probably your most valuable commodity) to affect the game. See here: https://numenera-and-you.obsidianportal.com/wikis/spending-xp

It takes a second to get your head around - you need to move out of the mindset of experience only ever being a growth curve :)

But after that its really cool.

And then make a badge in ingress for it 😎

ps I just realised I could start a second ingress account on a different phone on the other side and attack the portal I want to remove the mods from - but surely this violates the game rules somehow?

• InvestigateXMInvestigateXM ✭✭✭✭✭

ps I just realised I could start a second ingress account on a different phone on the other side and attack the portal I want to remove the mods from - but surely this violates the game rules somehow?

Yes, this is called Multi-accounting and is against the rules. One player, one device and one account.

That being said, welcome to Ingress, agent! I'd recommend reading through this played made guide, it's a great start for new players. If you're on the green team, swap the colors in your head.