This is how you plan an anomaly.

Way back in the "Before Times" we used to hold real anomalies. However, travel back then even was expensive and time consuming, so instead of making everyone go to one place, the Niantic team of yesteryear hatched a plan to bring the Anomaly experience to us. This goes back as far as Darsana, before even @NianticBrian took time out from the Niantic team.

So for Q4, can we please drop the "10 battle beacons" thing, and have the Niantic events team plan out a set of sites for this layout. Even if it goes back to the bog standard Cluster Battles, or Cluster/Shard hybrids. The player base has seen what works and we know how much we enjoy them. Let everyone have access to the anomalies, but also a reason to attend the anomalies.

----

Weekend One (Usually late in the first month of the quarter)

Asia

• One primary in northern Asia (Japan, Korea etc)
  • One satellite in Oceania (Australia, NZ)
  • One satellite in South East Asia (Thailand, Indonesia, Malaysia etc)
  • One satellite in western Asia (India, Bangladesh etc).

EMEA

• One primary in Europe
  • One satellite in Middle East/Northern Africa (Egypt, Israel, Saudia Arabia etc)
  • One satellite in southern Africa (South Africa or nearby depending on playerbase)
  • One satellite in Europe far enough from the primary.

Americas

• One primary in North America.
  • One satellite in South America
  • Two satellites in North America on the opposite coast and somewhere central.

Weekend Two (Usually late in the second month of the quarter)

Repeat weekend one's layout with different locations.

------

24 sites over two weekends, to give everyone a chance to attend without going broke.

This is "how I'd do it".

Original Comment here: https://community.ingress.com/en/discussion/comment/169146/#Comment_169146

Tagged:

Comments

• MoogModularMoogModular ✭✭✭✭✭

New topic wasn't warranted. There's already an active discussion.

• 1valdis1valdis ✭✭✭✭✭

I miss those layouts and rules so very much.

• We all need to accept that Seneca Crane now works for niantic.

• BreenzyBreenzy ✭✭✭✭

Bring this back!

• expediterexpediter ✭✭✭

I support this idea! Bring back satellite sites!

• SSSputnikSSSputnik ✭✭✭✭✭

One of the things I really enjoyed previously was a picture clue of a portal.

Agents around the globe identified the portal, sent agent to hack it for media and then pieced together clues.

This would be a nice addition to anomalies for remote non participating agents to take part in. Highlights teamwork, speed and knowledge/research skills.

• triggers PTSD when shown a picture of a Taiwanese Gazebo

• VenomousToadVenomousToad ✭✭✭✭✭

Would there even be enough players to pull off an anomaly like the old days? There is an enormous amount of work behind the scenes by players to set them up. I'm not even sure there are enough of those players left to do it. Let alone players to attend. I don't think we'll ever see what Ingress used to be before Prime.

• SSSputnikSSSputnik ✭✭✭✭✭

I dunno. People *were* flying in from all over the globe.

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2022

it would be better to have the anomalies spread out over the globe today vs just 1 major in europe . the format perringaiden posted is how things should look and it would be alot cheaper and less travel for many within your own region. it was obvious after umbra 2019 that the old format with more anomaly locations would be heavy reduced and here we are in mid 2022, one single in germany next month xD

• GreenVamGreenVam ✭✭✭✭✭

Let us both factions boycott this anomaly! What kind of attitude towards us, this is what we will show towards them.

• BernysBernys ✭✭

I think that while the player numbers will be smaller, I know a lot of the people that went to Amsterdam last time won't be around this time, but, there is also a lot of people who didn't go to Amsterdam and others who miss those events who could well turn up if Niantic actually did an anomaly. We might only get 50% of the player numbers, but I still think that's a large enough community to be able to support the event.

• BernysBernys ✭✭

I don't think a boycott will get you the result you're after. Saying to Niantic that people won't attend anomalies any longer will be justification internally within Niantic to not run these events anymore at all. Let's try to come up with a way to make people want to go to anomalies and financially worthwhile to Niantic for them to want to put the resources into running them.

• MoogModularMoogModular ✭✭✭✭✭
  • tp235tp235 ✭✭✭✭

It is good to hold the event in each country or region, but we should focus a little more on the host city.

For example, there are still 7 sites to be held in Japan this month, although the number of sites has decreased since February and March.

Perhaps it is an extravagant concern, but there are actually too many venues.

I also wish they would announce the dates and locations much earlier, instead of announcing them two weeks in advance, so that I can blank out my schedule and book tickets and hotels.

It seems to me that Ingress's current event managers are terrified of leaving their schedules open.

But there needs to be a certain amount of space so as not to constrain the freedom of the players too much.