What exactly is safe pedestrian access?

Would you consider this fountain to be "safe to pedestrian access"?

Imo, there's safe place to stand around the fountain, but there's no zebra crossing?.. leading to the fountain(idk what exactly you call those lines on the road...)

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.2049865,5.7759994,3a,60y,85.97h,76.27t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sChT56JAFOckc5_ANI3CjLQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!12b1?rapsrc=apiv3

Comments

• PangarbanPangarban ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2019

I wouldn't call that safe pedestrian access. There is no crossing to the fountain. In fact, it appears you'd have to climb a barrier to get to the road to cross to the fountain.

You are right, the lines for pedestrians to cross a road are called a "zebra crossing", in the UK anyway.

• SouLPrison3rSouLPrison3r ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019

Thnx you guys for the reply. Now, @Pangarban @TheFarix here's the confusing part. What if this ( https://prnt.sc/o5jcjd ) is the candidate image?

Looks like an old image with grass around the fountain, so maybe it was accessible back then? ... maybe... but now it has lesser space and too close to the road. So.... what do i base my judgement on?

• JudyBJudyB ✭✭✭

I've seen many carefully zoomed in photos that hide where something is, and that looks like a good example.

What you should base your decision on is what Street View and/or satellite view show you about the location now.

• @JudyB ok. But what if this is an OPR test question? It was safe to access when the question was made, but not anymore. 🤔

• TheFarixTheFarix ✭✭✭✭✭

@SouLPrison3r I would still look at the satellite and street view imagery and see if there are any sidewalks and pedestrian crossings present. Trying to fool OPR reviewers is only going to end badly.

• Jac1891Jac1891 ✭✭✭

Secure access is a very variable thing. In Italy there are many rural locations where there are no sidewalks, the streets are too narrow for cars and sidewalks, in that case the pedestrian area is bounded by the line that signals the roadway.

These places are really special and full of unique and unrepeatable portals, it would seem crazy to have to eliminate them and make a desert place just for a quirk, especially because the side of the road is legally defined as an area for pedestrians.

• @Jac1891 So the question is do i strictly follow Niantic "safety" rules or go with the variables, while taking the OPR test?

• Jac1891Jac1891 ✭✭✭

@SouLPrison3r

IMHO, NIA does not specify that there should be a sidewalk, it only emphasizes safe access. 

If for that region the secure access is guaranteed by the roadside then the portal is legal.

• SouLPrison3rSouLPrison3r ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019

@Jac1891 okay, so what does "Pedestrian access leading to the object" mean? The "lines". I'm guessing... According to NIA, lines(zebra crossing) = safety access.

• Jac1891Jac1891 ✭✭✭

@SouLPrison3r

honestly I still haven't understood it, but probably yes, something like that.

• @Jac1891 Well i went with NIA strict rules and i passed! 😃

• Jac1891Jac1891 ✭✭✭

LOL good luck!