Any more news on Scanner Crates?

PkmnTrainerJPkmnTrainerJ ✭✭✭✭✭

Whilst we wait for the Q2 Roadmap, I wanted to see if anyone knew any updates to Scanner Crates?

Especially now that Niantic have a very AR focused IP with Peridot and have used some things we have seen in demos for that, such as identifying grass/sand/water in AR, which seems to tie into the crates, maybe?

Comments

• joecainjoecain ✭✭✭

Soon™

• holdthebeerholdthebeer ✭✭✭

I suspect "scanner crates" (if they are still being worked on) will have the same list of supported phones as the "mesh scanning", or will have plain "pick up the crate" button as fallback mechanism. Looking forward to use the plain button, since the mesh scanning did not work for me.:)

• PkmnTrainerJPkmnTrainerJ ✭✭✭✭✭

A little over a month after I raised this, any word on Scanner Crates? Maybe next update, or next next update?

• MoogModularMoogModular ✭✭✭✭✭

Niantic never stated anything about scanner creates, especially with Ingress. This information came from IUENG during an AR conference. I hate to say it but Brian won't state anything until it's ready.

• InvestigateXMInvestigateXM ✭✭✭✭✭

Niantic never stated anything about scanner creates, especially with Ingress.

I mean, Brian specifically called it out in the conference and on the slides in a presentation focused on AR in Ingress, so I'd class that as "Niantic stated something about Scanner Crates, especially for Ingress".

I'd rather say "Niantic never said anything about the Crates outside of a conference which wasn't aimed at the players, so relax until they do."

• GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭

At the AWE conference, Brian mentioned that they trialled scanner crates, but this didn't work out as well as they wanted.

Still, it's been over 2 years of scanning and Niantic is opening up their VPS for wayspots in Q4 of 2022

This strongly hints that Ingress/pokemon go will have new features based on this rolling out in this, Q3 of 2022