Niantic, Inc.!!! Bring back the storyline and goals worth fighting for!!!

GreenVamGreenVam ✭✭✭✭✭

A little backstory.

A long time ago I remember we had an idea. Enlightenment wanted aliens to appear. The resistance wanted to stop them. Then suddenly it turned out that the resistance also has its own aliens. Still, it was a logical fight. There were PORTALS through which aliens were supposed to come. Correct me if I'm wrong. How they were supposed to arrive, when, and what had to be done for their arrival, alas, was not clear even from the plot. But then Nemesis appeared who showed some photoshopped photos and stated that they had an invasion of exogenous monsters, and that only we can protect this world. Jarvis betrayed enlightenment, ADA betrayed the resistance. And as a result, we did not wait for any aliens. The corporations are doing something with the portals, but we don't know what exactly they are doing.

What do we have now.

Now for more than a year we have been capturing portals. For what? For what purpose? The "saviors" of mankind or their main rivals will not come from them. What is the fight for?

Further, we look at the training there, a flying blue head, broadcasts about the danger of shapers. Why? Will we not see them again? Yes? Uh... Jarvis also says that the shapers are our friends in training. How does this compare to the main story of the game after the tessellation event?

Glyph sequences and voices from portals hint that the Shapers and their rivals are still here.

Next, we have combat beacons. Can someone explain to me what this thing is? The beacon is used to show the way. But to whom? What is this structure with human numbers hanging over the portal? Who developed it and for what purpose? how does it affect the victory of the faction (with the exception of events)?

And what do we get? We have portals that simply deliver exotic matter to us, and nothing else, and we also have beacons that do not show the way to anyone except agents.

It is useless for new players to explain the plot, it is broken and it does not exist. Brian, or whoever is in charge of your story. Maybe it's time to work on making new clear goals for the factions? Maybe it's time to make at least a justification for the existing break in the story events? How do you think? Maybe it's time to finally get out of the current crisis? Oh yeah, why don't ADA or Jarvis mention this forum in the scanner as one of the main carriers of plot events?

Tagged:

Comments

• GreenVamGreenVam ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, oddly enough, it has a storyline. Rather, it was.

• GreenVamGreenVam ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2022

Oh, who would say, the agents of the resistance have long had their own aliens and their own exogenous artificial intelligence that runs everything in this game. So plot is good, and it was the plot that made most of the smart and enlightened agents from both factions go and draw triangles. Now there is no goal for now. Brian is silent, the screenwriters are rumored to have all been fired, and the game has lost all meaning for many people. Why should I, as an agent of enlightenment, draw a triangle that will not stand for half an hour if there are no more aliens?

I am against pokemon-like creatures under every portal, but alas, like many other agents, I need changes and a new plot, content, and more. I'm even willing to pay for it. but nothing to pay!

I looked around and what we just do not have!

There are no new drone models that would differ from the first generation. There are no new interesting items in the store, no anime season 2, no new comics. only new bugs and bug fixes.

Oh yes, we have incomprehensible things that are like a stripped-down copy of the raids from Pokemon Go. By the way, the huge Pokemon that hangs over the portal during the raid reminds me of giant shapers from Nemesis pictures. Maybe all the same, suddenly, something, like something similar, will appear with us ...

If I really were a villain, I would demand the introduction of Shaperchu and Shapesaurus into the game. but I will repeat once again I am against pokemon-like mechanics in our game. but I want a massive alien invasion from another world. And I'm not the only one who wants this.

Another thing is you yourself understand what innovations this game has, and that they will not be able to come to us without the next bugs....

• MoogModularMoogModular ✭✭✭✭✭

The plot has been "soft reseted" many times before the cross to Ingress Prime.

There have been signs at the end of the Nemesis story that a soft reset is happening. The Tessellation being retuned has reset the magnus of the Osiris researchers which does lead to the "soft reset" that has happened in the past. There has been previous events from years ago where previous faction alliances were removed altogether to deliver a new narrative - 13MAGNUS REAWAKENS especially.

• JimboMXJimboMX ✭✭✭

I think that before the ingress backstory "restarts" we need "someone" to act as narrator.

originally, PAC was the one leaking info about Niantic Project on the web.

Klue started helping PAC with investigating and leaking info

Then Susanna Moyer and the Ingress Report

and with G+, the characters of the story became alive and interacted with the agents.

Now, PAC is gone, Klue is gone, Susanna is gone, The researchers are gone, the Exogenous are gone....

@NianticThia is posting most of the recent news about events, but i believe her role is not that of a narrator, that guides the story from a point to another.

Ingress is about a battle between two factions over the control of the portal network. Do we need a story to do that? NO. Does it becomes more interesting with a story on why are we fighting? DEFINITIVELY YES

I agree that Battle Beacons help to increase the fight between factions, but as they have been handling the events, both factions prefer to launch them were there is no oposition only to get a medal.... and that is no fun.

We are now at Kythera Anomaly.... fighting for the use or destruction of a device that no one knows what is it for.... Why would ENL want to secure it? Why would RES want to destroy it? Why does K has already defined that ENL or RES wants to do one thing or the other?

We just finished Kureze Effect Anomaly.... what dit it accomplished? Where are the results or knowledge acquired about the Kureze Effect? ENL won 1 agent, by K choosing a faction and thats it. We dont know now more about the Kureze Effect than we did before the anomaly. We didnt unlock any Kureze Effect abilities, or tech, or nothing....

Im trying to convince agents to go and fight for Kythera, but why should they assist to the ornamented sites? Points are not motivation enough.... Faction Glory is not enough.... A medal its easily obtainable without needing to assist to the ornamented sites.

The future should be in the agents hands.... not on Ks.

And the story needs to be "Alive" again, this was a great appeal when medias, decodes, characters, corporations, spionage, sabotage, murder, puzzles, videos, and blogs were around. You could be "absorbed" by the game and its "make-believe" atmosphere.

• HosetteHosette ✭✭✭✭✭

@GreenVam In the 8+ years that I've been playing the plot has never caused me to draw a single triangle or even deploy a single resonator.

• GreenVamGreenVam ✭✭✭✭✭

This is a fault of your superiors. They were supposed to let you in on the intricacies of the plot. And yes, here I have to admit that the presentation of the plot has always been through "one vulgar place." Each newcomer should have received valuable instructions from me for what and how we fight. Otherwise, he would never have known what the plot is. The plot is badly presented in the game client.

• They were supposed to let you in on the intricacies of the plot.

It's not "intricate". It's just badly written and confusing to the average player, and therefore ignored.

• GreenVamGreenVam ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2022

Even now, we have the next phase of anomaly. Why are we fighting and what prize for victory? Well, in addition to the medal in the profile, of course. Can anyone clearly explain this to me?

And you know that I am more than sure that even the producer of this game or community manager, if they miraculously called us from the heights of their posts, they would also not be able to clearly answer this question.

In the way, I suspect, it will again be an ordinary anomaly in which, as in the previous anomalies, the beacons will put and release several shards that will not solve anything.

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2022

there should be ingame storyline then, ada and jarvis could tell the story and give us small mini objectives global or something maybe ?

• HosetteHosette ✭✭✭✭✭

@ManiacD I have been to many anomalies, been POC for one, been on staff for several, and done intel/dispatch for many. The number of cases where storyline was a motivation for me, or even interesting to me: Zero.

• I agree... when I played I loved the puzzle/OSINT story. Felt more like an RPG but in AR.... now it's pretty similar to pokemon go. Unless I'm missing the hidden meta game play

• MirthmakerMirthmaker ✭✭✭✭

The plot got me to a portal on a rainy night I never would have gone to.

• It's more like pokemon go. We're just lite data collecting nodes for a future game.

• GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭

Ingress story needs to exist, even if you don't follow it.

The current lack of story just breaks immersion for some like myself.

It's tough when all the actors, and the story writer left.

There was an attempt to create a new engagement storyline using a schism AI.

The site for this is no longer available. But it showed real promise.

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭

what about ingame lore told via jarvis/ada ? if they cant bring back actors somehow make the store to follow ingame from the scanner then.

• GreenVamGreenVam ✭✭✭✭✭

I suggested this last year, but so far no one has answered me.

• Otrera35Otrera35 ✭✭✭✭

Obviously, no budget to continue nor expand the Ingress storyline, such a shame....

• NeothetaaNeothetaa ✭✭✭

I know that post-tesselation the effects of XM on minds was to be defined by agents of the factions, but we haven't gotten any such lore or features. So there was supposed to be continuum, it just didn't happen... yet? And these new events don't seem to be connected to anything, there's hints of things but ultimately nothing. Maybe it's because of the plague and we are just waiting for it to be over until the story continues?

The lore, despite being chaotic and resetting a few times, was among the big reasons I properly got pulled into the game, it brings in mystery and a feeling of seeking what is what. Also the resets made sense (and still do), jumping from one universe to another, the multiverse theory. There was plenty elements during Tesselation that could be used for what's the come: remote participation, possession, we could visit other universes, or maybe our gameplay can affect other universes. Does the scanner affect every universe, or could we unlock new layers to see what is somewhere else?

I don't care if ENL is portrayed as "the evil", it makes sense, the scanner is RES developed and run by ADA, of course they would display ENL as evil. Then as you get to know the lore you might notice things aren't as you were first told, perhaps, or maybe you felt that right away. I highly doubt the unbalance between the factions is because of that, it's because blue as a colour is universally the most enjoyed colour (~35% of population), followed by green (~22% population), then purple and red. Most people just choose their favourite colour by instinct, and then the rest of the people are recruited to a team by friends.

Also I've been waiting for anomalies to happen so I could go experience the more immersed lore, meet characters and be there where it actually impacts what happens. Tesselation during covid was my first proper event to be part of and I enjoyed it a lot, I can only imagine how much greater that experience could be with IRL play included.

Ultimately: Also missing the lore and what we are fighting for aspect.

• Data collection. Check out lightship.

No need for a game. We all have volunteered our data. There is meta gaming but have to join ur local community

• milofargmilofarg ✭✭✭
    edited June 2022

Even if it doesn't look like it, the lore can generate revenue for Niantic. Case in point: the ongoing Ingress X series sale. Each kit contains 3 classic randomly selected bio cards and a re-issued one. However the biocards are characters from the lore like OLW, Hank Johnson, Klue, PAC and so on. So I would argue that Ingress should continue with the lore and expand it with new characters, and/or focus on hidden characters that have only been briefly mentioned so far and still remain mysterious. Or go with the well known "stars". It doesn't have to be a video series like Dunraven or the Tesselation, but memos, notes, short stories, drawings etc, but It does need more substance than the current "story" about K.

• MoogModularMoogModular ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe they're thinking of something leading up to it's 10th anniversary? EXO5 was for their 5th anniversary so I don't think this will be the only time we see "Ingress X"